Why become a member? ×

Very Quick Question...

discreet

[b]Very Quick Question...[/b]

OK, I know there are reams and reams of threads on BC about which distortion/fuzz/grit pedal to use... but I need a quick answer if possible, hence my plea to the Basschat FX massive. I have been using a BDI-21, but not for the usual 'always on' pre-amp duty (which it is very good at), but for using at certain points in a song where it needs a little lift (chorus, etc), where a bit of overdrive/dirt/fuzz (call it what you will) can come in handy. To avoid loss of low-end I've been careful with the BLEND and LEVEL controls, so that the resulting sound with the pedal on is more or less the same level and same amount of heft as with it off, but with the said grit/fruzz in with it to produce the desired 'lift' effect.

My question is this: Can you recommend a suitable unit for this task that would be noticeably better than the BDI-21?
Preferably one with a BLEND control so that the original signal can pass more or less unmolested when the fuzz/grit etc is applied?

I don't really want to get into the whole thing of two amps and two cabs if I can possibly avoid it. At least not at this stage, anyway.
This is for a fairly robust three-piece (plus vocal) rock outfit.

I thank you! :)

Edited by discreet

I use the Homebrew Hematoma for this. It's got two channels, one side which is just a boost and other which is
an overdrive, and you can use them both independently. There is no blend but I've never noticed any need for
one.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1408801159' post='2533600']
Boss LS-2 and a volume pedal? Pop the fuzz or whatever in the feedback loop and the volume pedal after it.
[/quote]

Unusual solution... I'm sure that would work really well, but would it not require 3 pedals..? :)

Two on top of whatever fuzz you're considering. I've already got both volume + ls-2 anyway, so perhaps it's an easier solution for me! Incidentally, this lets you build a blendable side-chain of whatever other effects you might want to do that with as well.