Why become a member? ×

Markbass speaker cones - anyone ever painted them?

Lozz196

As it says really, has anyone ever painted the cones black and if so, what paint?

Not that fussed but in my current band the yellow cones are just a little too un-punk really, love the weight/size/portability/sound of the things, so either have to live with yellow, or paint if possible.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1408803103' post='2533639']
Lozz what about if you took off the front grill panel, wrap some some sort of grill cloth material over and around it, then refit the whole lot. Then you just remove it again when you want be less punk. :)
[/quote]
[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1408806019' post='2533692']
if I opt to change the appearance I have already bought black speaker grill foam from blue arran via eBay (cheap too!), and spray adhesive the inside edge of the grill, attach tha foam, trim to size, and voila!.
Completely reversible too. :)
Just an idea.
Cheers Pete
[/quote]

Thanks guys - I`ve never been practically minded so wouldn`t have thought of these ideas. Gotta be worth a try and probably easy enough for even me to deal with.

Don't paint your cones, depending upon their make they will be made of carefully mixed plant fibres (markbass use a bit of banana fibre in the mix I think) possibly treated with a coating to damp resonances and adjusted for weight and stiffness. Adding paint will affect both the mass and stiffness and ultimately the sound of the speaker. I think the OP has decided changing the grille is better anyway but just in case anyone else is considering it.

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1408801268' post='2533603']
MB1.
Yellow Unpunk?
Are you sure?
[/quote]

hey, I'm an old school punk, and I've got a markbass amp
Saw the Damned many times, and one of my fave bass players, Paul Grey
Had a bright yellow Rickenbacker

Nothing wrong with yellow in a punk band
It was never supposed to be about a "uniform" or a standard of dress code
If it sounds good - that's all you need

Plus, as others have said - they're much, much, much lighter than Trace Elliot, Ampeg & the like....

EDIT: If you paint the speaker, you risk damaging it - or at least affecting the sound in some way....

Edited by Marc S

I know a guy who added grille cloth because the yellow wasn't right for blues. It sounded great as before. He removed the big logo too.

Oh the things we do to please band leaders...... :-)

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1408876777' post='2534204']
Don't paint your cones, depending upon their make they will be made of carefully mixed plant fibres (markbass use a bit of banana fibre in the mix I think) possibly treated with a coating to damp resonances and adjusted for weight and stiffness.
[/quote]

So that's why they're yellow.

Unpunk ?

You'd never play TOTPs then ?

Re the question, I'd guess an acrylic spray gently applied whilst the speakers where being driven might do no harm (structurally not sure about tone) but I'd not promise it. Surely a back cloth behind the grill is the way to go.

Edited by lojo