Why become a member? ×

ROCK BOTTOM now £415.00 McGregor 600 Watt, 1 x 12" Bass Combo
£550

Oldman

Hi, thanks for passin' by.

I have a McGregor 650 Bassmate surplus to requirements (lack of gigs) bought not two months ago on a whim whilst perusing other kit that John Gee is developing. For those of you who do not know John, he has worked in amplification repair, design and construction since I first worked with him in Liverpool in the early 70's, always a stickler for attention to detail. I road tested some of his earlier cab designs back then with great success ( I was younger and fitter then). Most memorable was a 2x15" half W cab, an unfinished prototype, which is still kicking around his new workshop in Warrington.

Tech specs below,it's the 650 model. Original snaps on request.

[url="http://www.mcgregoramplification.co.uk/?page_id=456"]http://www.mcgregora...uk/?page_id=456[/url]

It has trouser flapping capability on its own, with an extension speaker (8 Ohm) it is impressively loud. Never been gigged ( there are no gigs, yet!).

The construction is worth mentioning, I have owned in the past the AER AMP ONE ( sold to Lozzbass) this Bassmate is on a par with the AER's robust construction and finish with great attention to detail.

Recommended price is £695.00, I've seen it retail on the info web at [url="https://www.hwaudio.co.uk/Search/Product/Mcgregor-Bass-Mate-650-Combo-p92904"]https://www.hwaudio....50-Combo-p92904[/url]

As an 'unmarked' Demo Model I paid £595.00, I'm askin' [s]£550.[/s]00 [b][color=#ff0000] Now £475.00[/color][/b] delivered. Your chance buy an excellent " one box" solution at a great saving.

If your local try before you buy! Collection preferred but I will deliver within an hours drive of Leicester.

Thanks again for looking.

[attachment=170197:McGregor Bassmate.jpg]

Edited by Oldman

Bump for a 'Rock Solid' Bass Combo. McGregor's pedigree goes back to the 70's in Liverpool and this Combo is a result of painstaking build quality. It has a look of AER in its appearance and robustness, bought on a whim, happy to do a deal for a Class 'D' head of quality, cash adjustment either way, WHY.

Edited by Oldman

Depends what you are looking for, I found the AER had too many 'tweeks' available, so much so that it was (for me) difficult to notice small adjustments to the tone system and as I do not use compression that was wasted on me as well. Also, I used a Roland Sub with my AER as there is no facility to connect an addition cab to augment the volume. Its not apples for apples, in my opinion its more plimsolls (AER) and Timberland all purpose boots (McG). Your welcome to come and try of course. :rolleyes:

Edited by Oldman

• 2 weeks later...

Not tempted ? This is (as mentioned) a serious 'one box' contender at a serious price with the advantage of 600 of those Watts everyone talks about into 4 of those Ohm resistance thingies at only £0.791p per Watt.

BUMP

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1411468337' post='2559748']
Hi Oldman -- Is it a 10inch or 12 inch (whoops just read 12 in title!) ?

Is the internal speaker 4 or 8 ohm. And how loud is the fan when not playing?

Thanks

Brendan
[/quote]

Mr B, it's a 12", sealed enclosure, 8 Ohm speaker, there is No discernible fan noise. I have trialled it with an AE NL210 as an extension speaker , phenomenal power output, also trialled the head only with the EA and a TecAmp S115. Lots of flexibility.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey all,
OK, tried this amp out over the weekend, it's a superb little thing & I think whoever buys it will be dead pleased!
Has a great EQ section too, so you really can fine tune your sound.

UNFORTUNATELY it wasn't quite suitable for me as I'm a DOUBLE BASS player & didn't quite get my sound with the 12 as I like some serious bottom end!

I must also say too that Brian is a thoroughly wonderful chap & knows his stuff too, so you couldn't wish to deal with a nicer guy to buy this...

Someone JUMP & quick at the chance to get this!

Hi Again

I am not very familiar with mcgregor amps but can you give me some info on this combo.
600 watts through a 12 inch speaker sound impressive, what are the dimension of the cabinet
and is the sound nice and rich, warm and bassy. Sorry for the questions but I can't seem to get
any reviews about this model so I am relying on your good self. I currently have a Ampeg BA115 combo

Regards
brian

Hello Brian,

It's about 450 Watts thro' the internal 12" and definitely 650 Watts with an extension 8 Ohm cab. It has been rigouresly tried by Slap it hard with his DBass, believe me a DB has some waft, it was good with the gain at 3o clock anf the main at 2 o clock with the tone controls at 12o clock. The secondary parametric EQ can be switched in or out and allows you to fine tune the sound. There is a ' Retro' switch which give a little bit of warmth and a 6 DB boost button it is also switchable Active or passive.

Driver 12” 97dB
HF driver 80 degree dispersion
Frequency 80Hz – 18KHz +/- 3dB
Response 45Hz – 20KHz -10dB
Xover 12dB / octave 2 way
Power 450 Watts
Impedance 8 ohms
Connectors 2 x Speakon sockets
Dimensions 43.2w x 37.8d x 56.0h cm
Weight 21Kg

There you have it

Regards

Brian

http://www.mcgregoramps.co.uk/?page_id=456

Check this out, it is not me on the Bass!

Edited by Oldman