Why become a member? ×

Advice wanted on linking head to cab

Dorianadkins

Hi guys. I've just picked up a bass rig to help out a friends band (go easy, I'm a drummer pretending to be a bassist),

The head I have (Laney RB9 300w) has 2 speaker outputs on the rear rated at 4ohm each and the cab (Ashdown mag 410t deep 450w) is rated at 8ohm. All working perfectly together and as I understand, in future I can link another 8ohm cab to this setup to pull the full power from the head.

BUT...

If I used a Y shaped speaker lead going from both speaker outputs on the head into the on input on the cab, would this allow the head to run at full capacity or is this a no no?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

[quote name='Dorianadkins' timestamp='1408863697' post='2534057']...Any advice would be gratefully received...[/quote]

Good morning, Dorian...

Yes, this is a 'no-no'. The jack sockets on the back of the amp are already wired in parallel; they receive and supply equally the o/p from the power amp. A 'y-cable' will add nothing (nor subtract anything...). The cab will still present 8 ohms to the amp. Only a second, 8 ohm cab will enable the amp to supply its full power potential.
Hope this helps a fellow drumster...

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1408866131' post='2534071']
Someone will come along and tell you what it is running at 8 ohms (probably something like 180 watts?), the difference in volume won't that great.
[/quote]

Ahem. Running the amp with one 8ohm cab won't be hugely different volume-wise to running the amp with one 4ohm cab.
However... running the amp with two 8ohm cabs (4ohms) will make an appreciable difference to perceived volume.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408866710' post='2534074']
Ahem. Running the amp with one 8ohm cab won't be hugely different volume-wise to running the amp with one 4ohm cab.
However... running the amp with two 8ohm cabs (4ohms) will make an appreciable difference to perceived volume.
[/quote]

Yep, the addition of another cab will make the sound seem so much bigger that it will sound much louder. Increased bigness of sound.

The difference in volume between a 4ohm and 8ohm cabis negligible, I tried it a few weeks back. I took my 4ohm cab to practice and in the practice room is an 8ohm and I thought I'd try them both out. No real noticeable diffrence, I didn't touch the volume at all and the 8ohm was fine.

When I plugged into the 810 in the practice room, the difference in volume was very noticeable :)