Why become a member? ×

Beginner bow recommendations please

fretmeister

I'm not sure about the rosin yet, I had nymans and it was to hard to apply, then I got a free pot of pops with my Gedo and is a lot better but I sometimes get it just nice then I loose it again.

French or German pattern you will need to decide on too, mine is French which appears more popular here and maybe in the USA I think where other countries tend to prefer German, most people will tell you to get what your teacher uses.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408872043' post='2534139']
I have a yita music one, they sell via Ebay, I was told they were good on here and when Jake Newman came to give me my first lesson he liked it so much he has since bought himself one, personally I think it must be faulty because it sounds terrible when I use it :lol:
[/quote]

:lol: Which one, there is so many?

The wooden Primavera DB bows are great beginner bows, we supply them with most of our hire DBs. Off the top of my head I think we sell them for about £69 so they are great value for money. As for the best rosin, you will need to use Nymans.

David.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408882126' post='2534262']
Mine was around £90 I think.
[/quote]

I think this is the most popular one, and the one I have:

'Advanced' model.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Advanced-Model-Carbon-Fiber-Double-Bass-Bow-French-/200403175627?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item2ea8f5c8cb

There is a 'top' model, but I'm not seeing it on the site atm.

Delivery is fast, and most people seem very happy with them. I'm waiting for the 'Harry Potter' magical version. The one that will play me rather than me playing it. :D

What do you think of budget wooden ones, are they as bad as people say? I have a German pattern wooden one that came with my Gedo (I will probably sell it at some point) as a bow noob it is hard to know what is good or bad about it, being German I can grab it easier and saw away at the strings with ease but I gather that is not the idea :lol:

My very first bow was a very cheap brazil wood thing which was sh*t. However some people have had great luck with the snakewood offerings of ebay which are supposed to be quite good. Its the problem with buying of ebay, you can never be too sure and while one person might get a great bow, you could buy the exact same one and it could be rubbish. Thats also partly to do with the massed produced nature of them. I definitely wouldn't spend less then 200 on a wooden bow if i wanted something that worked though.

It sort of depends what you want from a bow, when your beginning your just focusing and long bows and an even sound across the entire length but as you start having to play tricky Mozart semiquavers you need more spring to facilitate this or if your playing Strauss and theres long fortissimo phrases you need more weight that cheaper bows just can't give you.

I am either going to pick up a snakewood bow of ebay or a finale carbon fiber bow as a backup to my bazin.

Also interestingly enough my teacher still uses a bow he bought for what is about €120 which he uses alongside his Morizot (€5-6000). There both wonderful bows but it shows you can get something that works for you and does everything you need it to for not much money. Edgar Meyer comes to mind.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1D30AgYAk4

Watch at 23:06 or so for examples of the Mozart that i struggled to play with a cheaper from its lack of spring.

Edited by fatgoogle

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1409074715' post='2536081']
carbon bow up to about £700+ don't waste your money on something that isn't pernabuco
[/quote]

There are many bow makers making bows with snakewood and experimenting with other woods due to the lack and expense of pernambuco wood. Sue Lipkins i think only makes her german bows out of snakewood.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408872043' post='2534139']
I have a yita music one, they sell via Ebay, I was told they were good on here and when Jake Newman came to give me my first lesson he liked it so much he has since bought himself one, personally I think it must be faulty because it sounds terrible when I use it :lol:
[/quote]

+1 I have played a Yita bow which I liked and was great value for the price. It was a few years ago, but it seems worth considering. I'm interested to see what comes up as never know where to recommend when it comes to beginners bows...or even decent bows in the UK. I play german pattern which makes less choice but it would be great to go to a double bass show like the one in Amsterdam at the moment and try a load out.