Why become a member? ×

Patiently waiting for Rock music to make a comeback :)

Marvin

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1408890977' post='2534347']
There's LOADS of Rock music everywhere. Too much of the stuff.
[/quote]
Couldn't agree more. Every pub with music that i pass seems to have some rock covers band pumping out the same old stuff.

How i long for those evenings years ago at The Plough, Stockwell.................Music heaven to me.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1408903242' post='2534485']
Need to meet some people and get noisey again
[/quote]

You should do well with the noise thing (apparently),
or so Sir Thomas Beecham reckons.
"The English May not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes".... Lol.....

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1408893102' post='2534372']
there are tonnes of rock bands about at the minute!
just depends on how much your willing to pay to watch them!
[/quote]

I wonder if were talking about the same kind of Rock?

Blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1408992349' post='2535338']
Why, the Grateful Dead, of course..! :rolleyes: [size=4] What other kind is there..? :huh:[/size]
[/quote]

Jeff Beck Group, Faces, Stones, Lot's of stuff . :D

How about Slash & Miles Kennedy;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNtpexqaBuU

Blue

Edited by blue

The Junkyard Dogs runs a [i]repertoire [/i]of about 60 songs, by which I mean songs that we could drop into a set at any time without needing to rehearse them especially.

Our three longest suits are the Stones, Status Quo and Dr. Feelgood with half a dozen songs by each, and it sometimes feels to us that we are a bit too laden with songs by those three bands.

My point is that we therefore play over 40 songs which, in most cases, are the only song we play by that band.

I always get very puzzled when people talk about too much of this or too much of that ... I mean, just how varied do you want it? :lol:

++++++++++++++++++

On the age thing, Blue, in another band I play with we were auditioning for another guitarist last week. In walks a 23-year-old Portuguese guy, been in London for three weeks.

He's absolutely over the moon at the prospect of playing stuff by Rory Gallagher and Gary Moore, early Free and Hendrix.

And BY GOD! can he play that stuff. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1409062513' post='2535920']
The Junkyard Dogs runs a [i]repertoire [/i]of about 60 songs, by which I mean songs that we could drop into a set at any time without needing to rehearse them especially.

Our three longest suits are the Stones, Status Quo and Dr. Feelgood with half a dozen songs by each, and it sometimes feels to us that we are a bit too laden with songs by those three bands.

My point is that we therefore play over 40 songs which, in most cases, are the only song we play by that band.

I always get very puzzled when people talk about too much of this or too much of that ... I mean, just how varied do you want it? :lol:

++++++++++++++++++

On the age thing, Blue, in another band I play with we were auditioning for another guitarist last week. In walks a 23-year-old Portuguese guy, been in London for three weeks.

He's absolutely over the moon at the prospect of playing stuff by Rory Gallagher and Gary Moore, early Free and Hendrix.

And BY GOD! can he play that stuff. :)
[/quote]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Understood and I know what you mean.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]However;[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Our lead guitarist is 29 and can play blistering 70’s style songs and solos like “nobody’s business” and he loves the stuff. However, respecting, understanding the history, the time period and the artists that’s a different story. [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]For example, can anyone in their right mind find a reason to be critical of the 17 year old George Harrison that didn’t have 50 years of reference to draw from? My point, when younger folks criticize George I draw the line.[/color][/size][/font]

Blue

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1409067811' post='2535980']
It's not at all clear to me what the word 'rock' means in the context of this thread.

Stuff I like is referenced alongside stuff I have no interest in whatsoever.
[/quote]

I guess the term Rock is relative. But I'm thinking;

[size="3"][color="#000000"]Rock, generally played loud ,usually 3 guitars, bass maybe keys and vocals playing serious riff based rock not the more acoustic music that is popular today.[/color][/size]

[size="3"][color="#000000"]blue[/color][/size]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1409067811' post='2535980']
It's not at all clear to me what the word 'rock' means in the context of this thread.

Stuff I like is referenced alongside stuff I have no interest in whatsoever.
[/quote]

When I read threads like this then, rightly or wrongly, I find myself thinking foot-on-the-monitor bands (often with big hair) driven by the ego of the frontman.

I've paid good money to see everyone from The Who and the Stones through to Foo Fighters and Kaiser Chiefs (oh alright, scratch that last one) so I'm not saying that foot-on-the-monitor is automatically a bad thing. At the Hammersmith Odeon or the O2 or Knebworth.

I just don't think it works at the Dog & Duck.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1409069258' post='2536003']
I guess the term Rock is relative. But I'm thinking;

[size=3][color=#000000]Rock, generally played loud ,usually 3 guitars, bass maybe keys and vocals playing serious riff based rock not the more acoustic music that is popular today.[/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#000000]blue[/color][/size]
[/quote]
Hmmm, I don't really feel any wiser, except I'm now guessing that I am on the "I don't like 'rock'" side.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1409071149' post='2536029']
When I read threads like this then, rightly or wrongly, I find myself thinking foot-on-the-monitor bands (often with big hair) driven by the ego of the frontman.

I've paid good money to see everyone from The Who and the Stones through to Foo Fighters and Kaiser Chiefs (oh alright, scratch that last one) so I'm not saying that foot-on-the-monitor is automatically a bad thing. At the Hammersmith Odeon or the O2 or Knebworth.

I just don't think it works at the Dog & Duck.
[/quote]
So is all that all rock or what? I am confused.

It seems to me that rock, like jazz, folk, blues, soul, reggae, hip-hop, dubstep, etc., etc., is too vague and varied a concept to have much of a conversation about without very quickly all talking about different things.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1409073718' post='2536068']
Hmmm, I don't really feel any wiser, except I'm now guessing that I am on the "I don't like 'rock'" side.
[/quote]

Well if your under 50 or 40, not liking rock makes sense.

I wonder how many 60 plus folks don't like Rock?

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1409074960' post='2536086']
Well if your under 50 or 40, not liking rock makes sense.

I wonder how many 60 plus folks don't like Rock?

Blue
[/quote]
I am 62 ... and I know a lot of younger people including teenagers that like 'rock' whatever that is.

Edited by EssentialTension