Why become a member? ×

Patiently waiting for Rock music to make a comeback :)

Marvin

At nearly every pub, club and festival the line up seem to exist almost entirely of solo acoustic acts and general acoustic music...oh, and that faux folk music stuff.

The first 8 or so songs is fine (the faux folk music I do not like at all though) but after that I need something LOUD and DISTORTED and IN MY FACE!!!!!!

....or funky, groovy...just something.

Anyway, I've got that off my chest, I'm off to mow the lawn and wash the car...it is sunday after all.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1408873354' post='2534167']
At nearly every pub, club and festival the line up seem to exist almost entirely of solo acoustic acts and general acoustic music...oh, and that faux folk music stuff.

The first 8 or so songs is fine (the faux folk music I do not like at all though) but after that I need something LOUD and DISTORTED and IN MY FACE!!!!!!

....or funky, groovy...just something.

Anyway, I've got that off my chest, I'm off to mow the lawn and wash the car...it is sunday after all.
[/quote]

So..! Not officially an 'old git' yet, then..? Give it time (less than you think, or would wish for..!) and it'll come. Got carpet slippers..? No..? Ah, that would explain it.
The faux folk music will always be rotten, though. TIM won't change that. :mellow:[size=4] [/size]

Edited by Dad3353

Big fest we have next week will have 20,000 or so over two days but that is too big for the town to handle
and they have ditched most of the stalwart acts and are going for a more folkey Hop fest feel.
They say that the clean-up/drunkenness is too great when more rock bands play... so time will tell.

The bar take has been staggering these last few years with pubs taking ridiculous amounts - £58k is ok for a pub
and others are similar.

Can the folk acts maintain that sort of interest..??

Rock will always come back. A new interest area comes along, those who are genuinely into it stick with it, once it fades the band-waggoners then go back to what they actually like and rock makes a comeback whilst the next new big thing is being brewed.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1408890977' post='2534347']
There's LOADS of Rock music everywhere. Too much of the stuff.

Honestly.....I spent 90% of my time running away from it.
[/quote]

This.
Sick to death of it, and I used to play in a really heavy band.
I'd be happy if I never heard another loud distorted guitar again.

[quote name='Allie' timestamp='1408890195' post='2534338']
LOl Bill - you're fishing I suspect, but even with it's many flavours, the rock genre is pretty difficult to dislike I guess. :P ;)

Al
[/quote]

I only like it if it rolls.

Music genres are a bit like the Monkeys Paw, or Pet Semetary. Sometimes they come back, rotten and changed.

As a youth I'd always been into rock/metal and had always played in metal bands. Grew up a bit and started messing with more sort of alternative indie-ish kind of stuff and just so bored of it.

Need to meet some people and get noisey again; I really struggle to play quiet music ha ha

Chug chug chug chug!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1408878596' post='2534226']
[/quote]

The faux folk acts, I wouldn't have said so.
The more established acts, yes, but only during the summer festival season.
Cropredy pulls around 20,000 and Cambridge Folk Festival pulls 14,000 (the venue size is the limiter here).

Like rock music, folk fades in and out of fashion, but it never dies. :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1408878596' post='2534226']
Big fest we have next week will have 20,000 or so over two days but that is too big for the town to handle
and they have ditched most of the stalwart acts and are going for a more folkey Hop fest feel.
They say that the clean-up/drunkenness is too great when more rock bands play... so time will tell.

The bar take has been staggering these last few years with pubs taking ridiculous amounts - £58k is ok for a pub
and others are similar.

[/quote]

I believe I'm playing at said festival - and the set includes rock music and funky blues amongst other things!!

Is Rock Music Dead?

For who? Me? No

The big picture, yeah for some purposes it is dead, I don’t think the industry sees much value in investing in it. Yeah there are a few true rock acts still drawing crowds, the one event or night the 60 plus crowd decides they can stay awake.

In many ways it’s like what happened to big bands. Are big bands ( Duke Ellington & Count Basie ) coming back, no and they never did. Are there still some big bands out there , sure but not many.

Keep in mind the generation, my generation ( the generation that built the market) except for me, are no longer buying music or going to shows. The Stones & Paul McCartney don’t count, that’s really something different that shouldn’t be a part of this discussion.

Here are a few examples, I play in a 70’s style rock band and when any 20 something’s walk into a club were playing they walk out and they not only walk out, they walk out immediately. When the 60 plus person walks in, it’s like they found their way back home and become 17 again for a short time.

I have spoken to some of these young folks that say they are into rock, they might be , but they are not usually well versed or really understand the history of the genre. For example, I spoke to a guy in his 30’s he was talking to me about Eric Clapton, but the guy had never heard of Cream.

Here is another short example, Heart and Foreigner had a show scheduled here in Milwaukee this summer. It was canceled due to poor ticket sales.

Does anyone know what I am trying to say? Help me out.

Blue

Edited by blue

The music industry had no interest in rock music at first; the big money was in shows (Oklahoma, My Fair Lady, The King and I...), sheet music, Tin Pan Alley, and music for the cinema. It was only when teenagers got disposable income that it was realised there was money to be made, and made it was. Once the fad passed, the revenues dried up. There is a fair amount of time-less music from that period, but not enough to sustain, on its own, the same level of revenue as at the outset. The whole business is built on obsolescence, making last week's success into this week's flop. It has to be permanently renewed. There will always be a 'niche' for the dinosaurs from previous eons, but the crazy machine lurches on, sucking in the new faces and spitting out the old. None of this should be a surprise; it's been known from the start. Regrets..? That's nostalgia for you. 'Twas always better 'back then'.