Why become a member? ×

August Composition Challenge - VOTING TIME!

Skol303

[color=#800000][size=5][b]Voting has now started on August’s Composition Challenge![/b][/size][/color]

[size=5]Here's the inspiration for this month's music, as chosen by our previous winner [b]Dad3353:[/b][/size]

[size=5]And here are the compositions. Please listen to each track and pick your favourite:[/size]

[b]Dad3353[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/the-climax"][i]The Climax[/i][/url]

[b]Leonard Smalls[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/dredd-and-the-badass-weed/tired-and-emotional"][i]Tired And Emotional[/i][/url]

[b]Bass Bus[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/bassbus/harvest-rain"][i]Harvest Rain[/i][/url]

[b]Lowdown[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/garrycribb/triumph-herod/s-1RrDZ"][i]Triumph Herod[/i][/url]

[b]Bilbo[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/robert-palmer-1/salome"][i]Salome[/i][/url]

[b]Skol303[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/skollob/give-heart-give-head"][i]Give Heart, Give Head[/i][/url]

[color=#800000][b][size=5]Voting ends at midnight on Sunday 31st August.[/size][/b][/color]

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1408972699' post='2535046']...I am itching to get started again next month now !!
[/quote]

So you'll be wanting a 'house' theme, then, eh..? (Itching..? Scratch..? No..? Oh well; never mind... :blush:[size=4] )[/size]

I've had a quick listen to most now. I really love one so far. I'm not sure how it links to the image but I don't think that's really important as peoples interpretation of an image can vary greatly. I have some free time tomorrow so I will have another listen and vote then. Didn't get an entry myself this month. I made a great start but couldn't find the time to put it in the net. Next month hopefully.

Whilst 'in the mood', how about popping over to the Photo Challenge to help choose another winner..?

10 fine clichés [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]await your perusal and approbation; all inspired by this month's [/font][/color]theme : 'Stormy Weather'. Just follow the link...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/242248-august-2014-photo-comp-voting-time/"]August Photo Challenge...[/url]

Thanks in advance. B)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1409171247' post='2537161']
6 participants, 5 spectators. It's like a PCC election!
[/quote]

... and the topic has had 400 views. :mellow:[size=4] [/size][size=4] My track has had 25 plays since voting started, I presume the others are similar. It's a funny ol' world, innit..? :rolleyes:[/size]

Lowdown got my vote. It was perfect for the picture and Iiked it a lot also. However it wasn't my favourite. My favourite was Bilbos piece but I couldn't connect it with the picture so for that reason he came a very close second. Third for me was bass bus which I thought was awesome but the weird keyboard in the middle threw the mood of the tune out of its groove, but an excellent piece otherwise. All entries were very high again this month so well done to all.

As I said on my Soundcloud page, the piece wot I wrote was 'inspired by' the image. I was thinking about Salome's dance and didn't really get as far as dealing with the fact that she wanted John's head on a platter! I got the idea for the theme, which WAS inspired by the image, but the rest kind of rose out of the idea itself rather as some thematic development thing rather than as a 'soundtrack' to the image. Still, I appreciate the positive feedback, even if it doesn't get the votes.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1409223773' post='2537642']
Lowdown got my vote. It was perfect for the picture and Iiked it a lot also. However it wasn't my favourite. My favourite was Bilbos piece but I couldn't connect it with the picture so for that reason he came a very close second. Third for me was bass bus which I thought was awesome but the weird keyboard in the middle threw the mood of the tune out of its groove, but an excellent piece otherwise. All entries were very high again this month so well done to all.
[/quote]

Thanks for the comments 'the boy'. Constructive criticism Like that I can take.

It's always interesting to read what everyones inspiration was for their piece. I took it as the conversation between Herod and Salome. First part is Herod falling for Salome's beauty and dancing. Second is Salome asking for J the B's head in her somewhat manipulative and psychopathic manner. So that had to be a little disonant. And the final part is Herod realising what he has done. I left the bum notes in as the moment the deed was done.

Lowdown got my vote too.

Edited by BassBus

It's enlightening to read the differing interpretations evoked by the images used in these Challenges. Such divergence from a common source, a real witness to our individuality. I had, maybe, a slight advantage (... or handicap; who knows..?) this month, as I chose the pic, and know of its context. It is part of a series of illustrations for a play, 'Salomé', and depicts one of the final passages, hence its title: 'The Climax'. This, then, was the inspiration behind my piece; I'll admit readily that it's not evident from the pic alone.
My piece is a series of 'false' climaxes, each failing to achieve complete resolution until the very end. Each contains elements of the preceding, with a sort of 'conversation' between the principle instruments, 'representing' the two main elements of the picture, with a tonality each. I chose to ignore the preceding story elements (The Dance etc...); I may push the vice further, another day, and complete this piece with others to form a suite...
I had to listen a few times to all the entries, and found, as usual, that it is almost impossible to reject any, as they have all, with no exception, merits of one kind or another. I finally went for Len's work, as most fitting (in my imagination...) with the subject. It, coincidentally, brought back memories of a computer game ('EarthBound', Atari ST...) with its queezy pitch variations. Not to say that the others did not tempt me, and I salute the quality of their contributions. 'Triumph Herod', eh..? I liked the Vitesse of that..!
Diversity, it is said, is the spice of life. This month's offerings are a real culinary treat. If you've not listened yet: 'Bon appetit..!'

Edited by Dad3353

Some great ideas again this week - BassBus I echo what The Boy says - the keys threw it off kilter for me too - lovely playing and very tasteful drum track. Just completely fell in love with Bilbo's piece though. Would love to hear that played with a live wind section.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1409354812' post='2539042']
For some reason Harvest Rain and Triumph Herod won't play on my computer. I just hear silence, though the graphic on soundcloud progresses as if they are playing. Hence I can't vote as I haven't heard all the entries. No-one else has mentioned a problem, so I guess it's just me, for whatever reason.
[/quote]

Try again after a reboot, perhaps..? No, I've not heard of any problems from others, but I'll see if I can find any info...
What browser and OS are you using..?

Edited by Dad3353