Why become a member? ×

Any thoughts or recommendations for a 500W (ish) micro amps out there?

Raslee

I'm thinking (GASING) of looking into a microhead that will 'fit in my gig bag' for jam nights, small rehearsals etc but also a back up for larger gigs if ever necessary. I have read the other relevant recent threads RE: Markbass Backline 250 & GK's MB200 etc (which i nearly pulled the trigger on) but i'm wondering are there any other light micro heads with a bit more power out there that will give me around 250/300W at 8 ohms and perhaps 500 ish at 4ohms. Thanks.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408970725' post='2535016']
G-B MB500 Fusion.
[/quote]

Yep, would get my vote for very small/light amp fittable into a gig-bag. The regular MB500 too, though I found the Fusion version to be more versatile.

I see the Fusion has 3 tubes like the Genz Streamliner; Discreet i see you have a Streamliner - any thoughts between the two? I recently had a Streamliner and didn't really get on with it in my functions band, found i was always fiddling to get it less bassy and more mids, but equally it was great for the reggae band i play with also - however i chose to keep my Carvin over the Streamliner mostly due to the versatility of the Carvin.

Now, I'm mostly looking for something small and easily portable and perhaps with a bit of warmth as both my Carvin head & current Genz Combo are very clean sounding - i have really enjoyed the Orange Terror in the past but obviously that is too big for the gig bag.

Candidates i briefly considered are Eden WTX500, Markbass LM2/3 (are they small enough?), GK MB/fusion, Genz shuttle maybe although something different would be cool, Possibly the EA micro thingy...any others???

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1408979298' post='2535155']
I see the Fusion has 3 tubes like the Genz Streamliner; Discreet i see you have a Streamliner - any thoughts between the two?
[/quote]

As you know it is necessary to cut the bass somewhat on the Streamliner - it is naturally hefty - which is unusual, but it isn't a big deal. Also the mids can be cut or boosted adequately at three preset frequences, at least for my needs; but the Fusion is much more flexible mid-wise and you would be hard-pressed to find a setting where you would not be happy with the mids. The Fusion is no slouch on bass front either - the pre valves run at high voltage as the Streamliner's do and make the amp very thick and warm-sounding. Yet you can EQ in a 'hi-fi' sound if that's what you want. I swapped my Fusion for the Streamliner as I was intrigued to see what it was like - and I do like it a lot, it suits my current band well. However, it is not as portable and will not so easily fit in to a gig bag as the Fusion does. The SL valves are vertical making the case taller - the Fusion valves are fitted horizontally making it a 1U size. It boils down to purpose, format choice and personal preference. Both amps are excellent and I'd be happy to use either - ideally I'd like to have both. :)

Edited by discreet

I see the Fusion has 3 tubes like the Genz Streamliner; Discreet i see you have a Streamliner - any thoughts between the two? I recently had a Streamliner and didn't really get on with it in my functions band, found i was always fiddling to get it less bassy and more mids, but equally it was great for the reggae band i play with also - however i chose to keep my Carvin over the Streamliner mostly due to the versatility of the Carvin.

Now, I'm mostly looking for something small and easily portable and perhaps with a bit of warmth as both my Carvin head & current Genz Combo are very clean sounding - i have really enjoyed the Orange Terror in the past but obviously that is too big for the gig bag.

Candidates i briefly considered are Eden WTX500, Markbass LM2/3 (are they small enough?), GK MB/fusion, Genz shuttle maybe although something different would be cool, Possibly the EA micro thingy...any others???
[/quote]

No consideration of the Aguilar Th500 then?

P.S. My genz shuttle 6.2 is up for sale if you haven't already seen it :-)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408980618' post='2535177']
As you know it is necessary to cut the bass somewhat on the Streamliner - it is naturally hefty - which is unusual, but it isn't a big deal. Also the mids can be cut or boosted adequately at three preset frequences, at least for my needs; but the Fusion is much more flexible mid-wise and you would be hard-pressed to find a setting where you would not be happy with the mids. The Fusion is no slouch on bass front either - the pre valves run at high voltage as the Streamliner's do and make the amp very thick and warm-sounding. Yet you can EQ in a 'hi-fi' sound if that's what you want. I swapped my Fusion for the Streamliner as I was intrigued to see what it was like - and I do like it a lot, it suits my current band well. However, it is not as portable and will not so easily fit in to a gig bag as the Fusion does. The SL valves are vertical making the case taller - the Fusion valves are fitted horizontally making it a 1U size. It boils down to purpose, format choice and personal preference. Both amps are excellent and I'd be happy to use either - ideally I'd like to have both. :)
[/quote] Very intrigued by the Fusion.....however they don't come in the for sale section very often by the looks of it.,,,may have to save some more pennies.

[/quote]

A very flexible one that I feel does a fair approximation of the old school stuff, and can easily be dialed in to scoop like the Terror Bass would be the Promethean.
Its Beta Aivin sibling also comes with some more choices on the back than the Ibanez version, IMS ground lift and pre/post switch for the loop.

The Promethean front is filled with switches so you can dial in the knobs beforehand, and just switch the functions in and out live. Be aware that only two of all the switchable functions can be governed by a (double) foot switch.

That said, it probably isn't in the same build quality ball park as most of the others you mention, but I deemed it worth a mention at least.

Edited by BassTractor

Guest monsterthompson

what sort of budget are you looking at? if you've got the funds, the TecAmp Puma comes in a nice 500w offering (@4ohms). I tend to like 4-band eq offerings (and/or parametric). i'm not sure how available things are in your area, but I like my Genz 9.0 Shuttle, so a used 6.2 might be a nice option. I've heard that the GK can get you in the tone region of Mesa amps, if that is what you are going for. i'm not a huge fan of the ToneHammer, but it will fit the 500w bill and fit in a gig bag.

Thanks for all the great responses folks :)

My budget is now around £400 at most...so most probably seeking second hand. I've have owned an Ashdown Mi550 before, it was ok but felt just that...OK.

Any thoughts on these, seem cheap and are they a Promethean re-badge???- Redsub 500: [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/RedSub-BT500H-500W-Bass-Head/B1D?utm_medium=display&network=criteo&retargeting_or_placement=retargeting&utm_source=criteo#full-des"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/RedSub-BT500H-500W-Bass-Head/B1D?utm_medium=display&network=criteo&retargeting_or_placement=retargeting&utm_source=criteo#full-des[/url]

The Taurus seems impressive, don't know a lot about them though.

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1409137980' post='2536647']
Thanks for all the great responses folks :)

My budget is now around £400 at most...so most probably seeking second hand. I've have owned an Ashdown Mi550 before, it was ok but felt just that...OK.

Any thoughts on these, seem cheap and are they a Promethean re-badge???- Redsub 500: [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/RedSub-BT500H-500W-Bass-Head/B1D?utm_medium=display&network=criteo&retargeting_or_placement=retargeting&utm_source=criteo#full-des"]http://www.gear4musi...criteo#full-des[/url]

The Taurus seems impressive, don't know a lot about them though.
[/quote]

Totally off topic, but looking at that gearformusic thing, an extended 5 year warranty for £12 seems a really good deal. Surely an amp getting used almost daily will probably fail at some point within 5 years. so its a no brainer?

I ve been looking at this arena as well

The Aguilar 500 is really good and sounded great on top of 2x vanderklay cabs

I also looked at the ebs reidmar which is only 250w, but is supposed to be a match for them, my only concern with the ebs is if it would cope with 2 guitarists in a heavy rock band

So the Aguilar 500 is tops for me at the moment

It's funny how GAS evolves...i 'think' i have narrowed it down to either the Aguilar 500, Eden WTX 500, or GK Fusion 500 which a purchase would have be early Oct when i have a bit more money to buy new...unless one comes up for sale S/H beforehand of course.. :gas: However i have fleeting moments of the Genz shuttles on here too as i have mostly Genz cabs, hmmm! (ponders)....however i think hanging out for the Aggie is in the lead with my research so far :rolleyes: .

I was going to go the S/H SWR micro for sale on here but the seller has not returned any of my PM's despite having viewed them :angry: .