Why become a member? ×

Options for a different feel for acoustic gig

razze06

My covers band decided to do a scaled down, acoustic version of our set, chopping and changing and rearranging as needed. We have a rather varied repertoire, leaning towards old school R&B and soul, and light rock (bon jovi, fleetwood mac, cheap trick etc)

In my previous experiences of this kind, we ended up pretty much playing the very same arrangement of the songs, only quieter and weaker and without drums (i.e. crap). To do it differently this time, I am thinking that changing instrument could help me get a new feel for the songs, and learn something new in the meantime.

I deeply dislike acoustic bass guitars, and I think that using just a normal electric bass with flats would do just fine as far as the sound goes, but the feel would be the same as a normal bass, and I will end up playing the same bassline as the electric version...

I was considering a fully fledged double bass, but that's probably too impractical, and with my meagre budget I will not be able to afford anything other than a crap one that will put me off it forever...

What other options should I consider? I thought EUB is an interesting one, although I know they usually sound nothing like a DB :) I also thought a fretless bass could help, but i's like to hear your thoughts and experiences on the matter.

I forgot to add that I'm probably going to use a small amp in any case, so unplugged volume may not be the most important aspect.

Unless you change the arrangement, it will end up sounding the same. Even if you change to acoustic / DB / EUB, you'll need to change the arrangement or style of the piece. Play it more uptempo, swing, jazzy, anything to make it sound different. Another approach is to drop the bass altogether and play some percussion or something.

I do loads of acoustic gigs where the feel still has to be 'up' & rhythmic. I change my lines when there's no drummer - I get a bit busier and play a bit more staccato. Flats, rolled back tone and sometimes palm muting gives me the note, and a nice percussive thump to drive things along.

I have my fretless, but IME the fretted works better 'cos the notes have more attack and bounce.

Also, when there's no drummer, the band should really work on dynamics to help with the light & shade.

I will start off with my westone thunder which has flats on, and I will try to change the style and feel of the songs. I am normally a moderately busy player, so my problem is to avoid overplaying to fill out the song. That's why I thought that a different instrument may help out with finding new arrangements.

Go fretless with flats if you want it to sound and feel different whilst still playing roughly similar lines. You'll get a more acoustic sound if you play up by the neck or even over the fingerboard. Add a touch of reverb and detune chorus to taste.

How about a Guitarron (mariachi bass)?
The action and sound would force you play differently.
I nearly did this for the same reason as you but went down the DB route as it was an instrument I'd been yearning for for years.
Guitarron can be bought a lot cheaper than DBs too.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408980133' post='2535169']
Looks like we have a potential new Stagg bass owner? :)
[/quote]
^ This ^

For the money you can't got wrong. 99.9% of the audience will not be able to tell the difference between a Stagg and a 'real' DB, and the Stagg takes up a lot less room. It even has dot markers on the side of the neck :)

Some good suggestions on here
So you have something to think about, I'm sure

I'd say +1 for getting a S/H Stagg EUB
As an option, it would give you a very different look
and would definitely change the way you play
Stagg's are pretty cheap secondhand, and you'd get your money back, if you decided it wasn't for you....

Just wondered why you deeply dislike acoustic basses?

I've got an Ibanez electro-acoustic, and it's a fab bass
It sounds terrific when amplified
and is a very different sound from my other bass guitars

I've used it live, with bands, and with just me & an acoustic guitarist
The acoustic players I've played with all really liked the sound,
and tend to prefer it when I play the Ibanez....

It cost me just over 200 quid, and in my opinion,
it sounds better than some basses costing twice that

Of course, it's probably not going to change your playing style so much as some of those other options
But I wouldn't be without my electro-acoustic now

Cheers

Marc

PS. Let us know how you get on

EDIT: I had an Ashbory for a while, as a bit of fun
But found my intonation needed loads of work / care
and the nylon strings were not easy to get on with...
But could be worth trying an Ashbory or a U bass

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1409143508' post='2536757']

When the OP specified that they weren't using drums...
[/quote]

Doesn't make it acoustic though does it though?

Simple answer...If you're playing acoustically get either an acoustic bass guitar or a double bass.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1409144011' post='2536768']

...and don't use a PA, presumably..?
[/quote]
Yeah.

Nothing wrong with playing a stripped down set or whatever...but it's not acoustic is it?
My point is, when did the word acoustic become a substitute for playing stripped back and without drums,rather than playing
acoustically? Hence, if you're playing acoustically you need a acoustic bass, if you're not playing acoustically but just want
a different sound then there are a ton of technique and eq options on an electric bass as has already been stated.