Why become a member? ×

Time to give up Bands and Gigging

Johngh

So, I've more or less made my mind up to give up bands and gigging. I've not really picked up a bass now for about 11 months since my last band split. They were a great set of guys, we did our own stuff, which TBH was rather good, but 2 of the guys in the band had their own businesses which understandably had to come first. When they told me it was folding, I was gutted.

I've also had really bad Tinnitus 24/7 for just over a year now, so rather than screw my ears up further, no more loud bands or gigging. I also now wear hearing aids in both ears, which is fine, but the Tinnitus is that bad I can't risk making it worst.
Also thrown into the equation, is lack of decent bands to join, and most of the decent band venues closing.

I used to really enjoy listening to music, you know, serious HiFi stuff picking out all the intricate bits the producer had put into tunes, now I have the confounded whistling in my ears, I don't enjoy it now.

I'm now thinking of selling the rig, and using the money to set up a small home studio to noodle with. The only shame is at 58 tears old, I feel like even after all these years gigging, I've not accomplished half of what I really wanted to.

I had a chance to play in a semi acoustic band, which would have played a reasonably low volumes, but its not me really. Bummer.

I'm 39 and I reckon I've joined my last band. They're a great bunch of lads and all really good players, and had the gig not come up at the right time then I'd probably have done the same as you and concentrated on my own stuff. Sorry to hear about your tinitis though; that's a real sh*tt*r.

Thanks guys, it's a shame really, but the thought of my ears getting worse is the deciding factor.

I have no idea how I manage to sleep at night with the ringing/buzzing. I searched the internet for examples of tinnitus sounds, and some of them are horrendous . Mines bad enough and it will be enough to drive some folk mad

I'm going to look into setting up a simple recording studio and see where I go from there

My dad has suffered with it after having a bad accident in the late 70's where he suffered a major head injury. He has a hearing aid that helps cancel it out but still has days when it seems to flare up worse than usual. I have it a bit these days after too many loud gigs but nothing compared to what he's been through. Hope you find enjoyment in whatever you choose to do instead of the gigging.

It's really odd that whenever I see the word tinnitus and/or think about it, I become aware of mine (in my right ear only) - much of the time, fortunately, I'm not plagued by it though I do seem to react badly to very loud music in that ear now (Debbie Harry's just the same, that's why she has Clem Burke behind a perspex wall and winces every time he goes into an extended drum break LOL). I think I've had mine for over 20 years, a consequence of nerve damage after multiple ear infections (and both eardrums became perforated, then later repaired). I hope your hearing gets no worse; but you're probably making a wise move - you haven't ever thought about playing upright bass in something like a jazz ensemble? I still have thoughts about trying a cello :)

my tinitus, just in one ear, gets worse after a gig despite wearing ear plugs, dies down after a few days, but I enjoy the buzz (see what I did there) of a good live gig so I put up with it, but like you it puts me off listening to my HiFi, though in ear headphones seem ok but I have to take out my hearing aids lol

I got tinnitus several years ago after 30 years of gigging. When the doc told me there was nothing he could do to treat it, it was a real low point for me. I had to take a break from gigging to let things settle and have a think. I then went down the ACS custom earplug route and this helped me get back in the game and I continue to gig. I have my hearing checked every year and the audiologist tells me that the custom plugs are protecting whatever hearing levels I have left. I had been using the cheap generic plugs for years thinking I was protecting my hearing, but I paid the price. Custom plugs are the only way to go.
However there is an approach to dealing with tinnitus that might be helpful for you that is known as mindfulness. Here is a link for more info http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/mindfulness-for-tinnitus

I completed a mindfulness based stress reduction programme some years ago, and found this approach effective in dealing with tinnitus and other issues. Nowadays I tend to react to my tinnitus with a kind curiosity, rather than treat it as the enemy within and have found this to be very effective. Yes, I still have tinnitus, but the mindfulness approach means the level of associated suffering is greatly reduced.

However like you, I used to be into my Hi Fi, but find I do not enjoy listening to music as much as I used to. My linn sondek turntable needs a serious service, but I cannot justify the cost, given how little use it has been getting in recent times.

I urge BC members to consider getting proper professional earplugs before hearing problems arise, as the risks attached to performing at loud volumes are really serious when it comes to your hearing. You will only miss the water when the well runs dry and I would not wish tinnitus on my worst enemy

You have my total sympathy right now, but maybe the mindfulness approach might be worthy of consideration.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1409047726' post='2535707']
I got tinnitus several years ago after 30 years of gigging. When the doc told me there was nothing he could do to treat it, it was a real low point for me. I had to take a break from gigging to let things settle and have a think. I then went down the ACS custom earplug route and this helped me get back in the game and I continue to gig. I have my hearing checked every year and the audiologist tells me that the custom plugs are protecting whatever hearing levels I have left. I had been using the cheap generic plugs for years thinking I was protecting my hearing, but I paid the price. Custom plugs are the only way to go.
However there is an approach to dealing with tinnitus that might be helpful for you that is known as mindfulness. Here is a link for more info [url="http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/mindfulness-for-tinnitus"]http://www.tinnitus....ss-for-tinnitus[/url]

I completed a mindfulness based stress reduction programme some years ago, and found this approach effective in dealing with tinnitus and other issues. Nowadays I tend to react to my tinnitus with a kind curiosity, rather than treat it as the enemy within and have found this to be very effective. Yes, I still have tinnitus, but the mindfulness approach means the level of associated suffering is greatly reduced.

However like you, I used to be into my Hi Fi, but find I do not enjoy listening to music as much as I used to. My linn sondek turntable needs a serious service, but I cannot justify the cost, given how little use it has been getting in recent times.

I urge BC members to consider getting proper professional earplugs before hearing problems arise, as the risks attached to performing at loud volumes are really serious when it comes to your hearing. You will only miss the water when the well runs dry and I would not wish tinnitus on my worst enemy

You have my total sympathy right now, but maybe the mindfulness approach might be worthy of consideration.
[/quote]

I'll have a look at mindfulness tonight now I'm back from work. thanks for the link

I started with really noticeable tinnitus a year or so ago, and now I gig with in-ears so I can control the overall volume. It can be done pretty cheaply - I use an OBBM double lead and a Behringer headphone amp in my rack case so I can mix more me into the overall band mix, and even on the gigs when we don't run everything through the PA I can still hear most of what's going on. At a real push I use my attenuators just to drop the whole volume level down instead.

It's a problem, and a pain, but it doesn't have to mean the end of playing, hopefully you'll be able to work something out.

I'm sorry to read this, John, and I hope for your sake that you'll have the same experience re folding bands as I had: that it wasn't such a terribly big deal after all, as one remains with the memory of something that was fun to do (and yes, I know everything about not having accomplished enough).

The tinnitus IME is a different matter, and I hope that it will eventually become manageable for you.

All the best!
bert

So sorry to hear about your tinnitus. I've got wrist tendon problems that mean I have to carefully manage what I do with my hands these days but I'm hoping I won't have to give up doing bands.

I guess when you say you aren't really into acoustic stuff I get what you mean, but maybe you'll change your mind about that. Hopefully there's still some form of live music in your future.

I'm sorry you are having issues - tinnitus sucks - I have the beginnings of tinnitus (high pitched ringing - but it's not really noticeable unless I'm in a quiet environment) - I can only imagine what the fully intrusive degrees of the condition are like.

It's sad that it's affected your ability to enjoy music - but it could always be worse. Try to forge on, and like so many people have mentioned here, explore other musical options when you feel ready.

Don't beat yourself up with what might have been or how things could turn out if you only had perfect hearing again. Part of coping with chronic conditions is acceptance. Hope for things to improve but learn to frame your expectations on how things appear rationally. I think your decision to avoid regular gigs at high volume (apparently your preference!) shows you're looking at things fairly clearly (IMO).

I hope you can still enjoy music and performance in one way or another. Thanks for sharing - and have a blast with the recording studio project!

Thanks again for the support, I suppose I started this thread just to get it off my chest TBH. I bought a Hartke Kilo, I've had it about 14 months, and I've used it once. That, and the Ashdown cabs are just sat in the conservatory taking up space.

I've held onto them, because you just know the minute you sell them, the right band would turn up. But behind it all there is the damage to my ears.

I've learnt to cope with the Tinnitus, I don't accept it, as it's admitting defeat, but most of the time I just ignore it and get on with stuff. Really should wear the hearing aids more though.

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1409160578' post='2536982']

Really should wear the hearing aids more though.
[/quote]
I've just mentioned in another thread about hearing aids, just had my third trip to audiology and they're a lot better now, I forget I've got them in unless there's a lot of background noise
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/224195-got-my-hearing-aid/page__pid__2536988#entry2536988

The reality is that most musicians don't make a living out of recording or performing and instead find other ways of making a musically related living. I "retired" from full-time gigging at the end of my twenties having had a great time but also having come to the conclusion that it was time to get a "real" job. I trained as a teacher and have now been teaching ICT and Music for 15 years or so. I still let my hair down and do the occasional school concert now and then - last one I did was play bass in a Nile Rodgers medley which was probably just as much fun as anything I did when I was younger but with the added bonus of a regular paycheck at the end of each month. There are of many other ways to make a musically related living - look at Thomas Dolby, he made far more money out of composing ring tones than he did from selling records.

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1409069745' post='2536007']
I'll have a look at mindfulness tonight now I'm back from work. thanks for the link
[/quote]
Certainly worth checking out IMO. I have just learned that Mindfulness studies, from this year is a subject on the secondary school curriculum over here in Ireland. There after all lurks in the dark corridors of the civil service a person with some forward thinking and imagination.

Well I think you just maybe need a break. I'm in my early sixties & have played with all sorts of bands (Including dance bands). I've principally played bass but diverted into lead vocals & guitar for a while.

Oh yes & quite a bit of rifle & clay pigeon shooting.

Guess what?

Tinnitus...... for years & years. Bummer.

But never mind - I'm still keen on bass & playing - regardless ---- it's what I do.

Just chill out & come back to it.

:)

Edited by Stompbox

[quote name='Stompbox' timestamp='1409401359' post='2539348']
Well I think you just maybe need a break. I'm in my early sixties & have played with all sorts of bands (Including dance bands). I've principally played bass but diverted into lead vocals & guitar for a while.

Oh yes & quite a bit of rifle & clay pigeon shooting.

Guess what?

Tinnitus...... for years & years. Bummer.

But never mind - I'm still keen on bass & playing - regardless ---- it's what I do.

Just chill out & come back to it.

:)
[/quote]

Never say never if the right band came up I suppose.

Problem is, there are different levels of Tinnitus, some say they have it and can only hear it when its quiet at night. Mine is louder that road noise when I'm driving the car, or louder then the television for example. There is no way I'm doing anything that will make it even worst than it is.

Many thanks to everyone for the replys to the thread though, its much appreciated