Why become a member? ×

stuck in a listening rut

fezzza

First post in a while but i've been stagnating a bit in finding new music, new bands and most importantly new bass players to take influence from. My tastes change fairly regularly but over the last couple of months i've been unable to find anything that particularly blew me away. Old favourites of mine include Rush, Extreme, Alter Bridge, anything Billy Sheehan has ever done and anything Riffy/Proggy really... If anyone can suggest any lesser known bands or bass players that match this kinda description ( Or anything else you think a Bass player would profit from ) I'd be most appreciative!

Cheers!

Some of my favourites:
Rage Against the Machine
Royal Blood
Mad Capsule Markets.

I'm the same at the minute, although I've started using Bandcamp to find new stuff, and have come across a lot of great music and gotten really into contempory noise/skater rock. METz is one and another FIDLAR

I sometimes discover stuff via suggestions YouTube makes (I'll go to play an old favourite then get very distracted by what else is on offer). There's also TasteKid http://www.tastekid.com/ which suggests material based on what you tell it you like.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1409003988' post='2535513']
Some of my favourites:
Rage Against the Machine
Royal Blood
Mad Capsule Markets.

I'm the same at the minute, although I've started using Bandcamp to find new stuff, and have come across a lot of great music and gotten really into contempory noise/skater rock. METz is one and another FIDLAR
[/quote]

Already well into RATM but I'll give the others a try! Cheers

[quote name='fezzza' timestamp='1409002805' post='2535496']
First post in a while but i've been stagnating a bit in finding new music, new bands and most importantly new bass players to take influence from. My tastes change fairly regularly but over the last couple of months i've been unable to find anything that particularly blew me away. Old favourites of mine include Rush, Extreme, Alter Bridge, anything Billy Sheehan has ever done and anything Riffy/Proggy really... If anyone can suggest any lesser known bands or bass players that match this kinda description ( Or anything else you think a Bass player would profit from ) I'd be most appreciative![/quote]

Not wanting to state the obvious, but your title declares that you're stuck in a listening rut, and you ask for suggestions of bands that sound like rock bands from the '70s and '80s.

Not sure that's going to help?

If you want something really different, with loads of excellent bass lines, check out Tune Yards:

[url="http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tune+yards+nikki+nack&qpvt=tune+yards+nikki+nack&FORM=VDRE"]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tune+yards+nikki+nack&qpvt=tune+yards+nikki+nack&FORM=VDRE[/url]

You may not like it, though :)

Slight hijack to thread; I too am sticking a listening rut. Been working long hours , and haven't had the energy to plug my iPhone into my mac to change my selection.
Plus a couple of friends keep sending stuff onl my Dropbox . I intend to sort it outthis weekend.

In the meantime, I will post some recommend actions on this thread later;)

Have a listen to a band called Voodoo Six...

They supported the Winery Dogs whilst they were in the UK, and they were bloody good live! The bass player was fantastic and plays some more interesting stuff compared to average rock bass player.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUdM6uo2Lig"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUdM6uo2Lig[/url]

Riverside are a Polish prog/metal/rock band who are heavy enough to be metal, but they have beautiful vocals and wonderfully crafted songs too. And all great musicians, including bass player Mariusz Duda who I really like. He uses a Mayones I think. Well worth a listen.

Get yourself a subscription to spotify for a few months - it provides themed "radio" which are playlists based on stuff you've listened to, or a genre, or artists etc. I've discovered more new music via that recently than I have in years of buying CD's.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1409140901' post='2536701']
Get yourself a subscription to spotify for a few months - it provides themed "radio" which are playlists based on stuff you've listened to, or a genre, or artists etc. I've discovered more new music via that recently than I have in years of buying CD's.
[/quote]
+1 I've abandoned playlists in favour of 'following' artists and playing their 'radios' - according to mood

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1409140901' post='2536701']
[/quote]

Spotify is a great way to discover new music, it certainly has opened my world up to a hell of a lot more great music

Edited by Weststarx