Why become a member? ×

Interesting pre-1900 3-string DB on eBay

Clarky

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1409039392' post='2535626']
Given the number and variety of repairs, that would definitely have to be try before you buy!

Doesn't look as if the end-pin extends, does it? At 69" tall overall, that would only work for a very short bass player.
[/quote]
True but I believe unconverted 3-string DBs are rare as hen's teeth. Re: endpin, could always get one from Ben Bastin on BC

Original 3 strings are very rare because not many of them were actually made. Many 4 strings were converted to 3 strings and then back to 4 strings when more playable strings came into existence and with improved technique. For instance In France they were playing 4 strings at the same time as London orchestras were playing three strings and Berlin was using a lot of 5ths tuning. Id say its only about the 1920's or so that 4 strings tuned in 4ths came about. It's why even in period correct orchestra's you don't see many if any 3 strings as they aren't necessarily period correct. Bottesini used one for tension purposes and thats sort of why a lot of people think they're the norm.

Looks a bit rubbish though that bass.

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1409040281' post='2535634']
Looks a bit rubbish though that bass.
[/quote]
I think it has a certain WIthnail & I type charm and I wouldn't cack myself gigging it, whereas I would with a shiny new several-£k luthier bass!

Hmm. The repairs look fine, but again, if you can play it before you purchase it, that would be best. It does look original, as there are no tell-tale signs that anything about the pegbox has been altered or replaced. My main concern is the neck repair: is that solid wood, or a veneer covering a different kind of repair that may not be as stable?

One traditional tuning for 3-string basses was G-D-G, or true fifths with G-D-A. With only a 40 inch mensure, that makes the bass more like a "5/8," but with a "3/4" body. Depending on your hand size, that might work well. I had to "false nut" my bass down an inch so I could reach the F to f 1/2 position octave.

[quote name='paddy109' timestamp='1409088454' post='2536297']
3 strings that's one more than I usually play!
[/quote]

:)

I saw this bass on ebay too
Looks very interesting, at least
and I did wonder whether it would make DB playing a bit easier ;)

Does appear a bit knocked about - but I guess that's commensurate with age?