Why become a member? ×

how to...'politely'

andydye

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1409057046' post='2535846']
This may help..? :lol: :lol: :lol: ( ... or not..!)

[url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ched"]'Ched' definition...[/url]
[/quote]

I looked at "words related to CHED" and thought, are you sure, I mean absolutely sure, about that?

This may help..? :lol:[size=4] :lol: :lol: ( ... or not..!)[/size]

[url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ched"][size=4]'Ched' definition...[/size][/url]
[/quote]

Hmm, "[i]this word can describe how u feel or can describe how something looks[/i]
[i]Aye you see that girl over there, she look ched. Hello how are you doing today, I'm ched[/i]"

Whoever wrote this sounds like some sort of modern day Molesworth!

This may help..? :lol:[size=4] :lol: :lol: ( ... or not..!)[/size]
[url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ched"][size=4]'Ched' definition...[/size][/url]
[/quote]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1409057220' post='2535850']
oh I see... thanks chaps.. I guess I'm a bit out of touch these days.
[/quote]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1409057225' post='2535851']
I looked at "words related to CHED" and thought, are you sure, I mean absolutely sure, about that?
[/quote]

hhmmm, that is [i]not[/i] what it meant when I was at school and therefore also not what it means to me now but hhmmm...I meant 'others playing bass that night' really...

There's quite a range of meanings, very varied. N° 4, for instance..?

[quote][size=4]A title given to a friend in lieu of bud, bro, brah, pal,son, dog, etc. Originating from the 17th century custom of referring to one's close personal acquaintances as "My dearest Chedwick".[/size]
[i]"Yo Cheds, you seen Mikey around? I think he may have sh*t in my laundry hamper."[/i][/quote]

Not sure if that applies to the OP, though..! :P[size=4] [/size]

At the risk of hi-jacking: When folk talk about lending not wanting to lend amps, I take it you mean the whole stack?
I've heard folk talking of being prepared to lend cabs but not the amp. Why would they do this? My worry would be at having some guy plug his 500w amp into my 300w cabs and blow the drivers. Am I missing something?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1409058390' post='2535872']
At the risk of hi-jacking: When folk talk about lending not wanting to lend amps, I take it you mean the whole stack?
I've heard folk talking of being prepared to lend cabs but not the amp. Why would they do this? My worry would be at having some guy plug his 500w amp into my 300w cabs and blow the drivers. Am I missing something?
[/quote]

I'm talking the whole stack yes matey, I have offered the cab at a previous gig as I knew exactly what head the guy was going to use and it was lower powered than mine so would have been ok but generally speaking, neither are for 'loan' at a gig.

Edited by andydye

I find it astonishing how clueless some people are with gear... cranking everything up to ten then wondering why it breaks or sounds sh*t. I wonder how these people have managed to get to adulthood without electrocuting themselvs trying to play bass in the bath or something....

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1409058514' post='2535874']
I'm talking th ewhole stack yes matey, I have offered the cab at a previous gig as I knew exactly what head the guy was going to use and it was lower powered than mine so would have been ok but generally speaking, neither are for 'loan' at a gig.
[/quote] Yes, but that comes under the area of knowing the guy and you feel better about it. In the case of a multi-band gig, forget it, no way!

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1409058956' post='2535879']
Yes, but that comes under the area of knowing the guy and you feel better about it. In the case of a multi-band gig, forget it, no way!
[/quote]

yep, too right :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1409058585' post='2535875']
I find it astonishing how clueless some people are with gear... cranking everything up to ten then wondering why it breaks or sounds sh*t. I wonder how these people have managed to get to adulthood without electrocuting themselvs trying to play bass in the bath or something....
[/quote]

My pet hates are people turning the volume or bass knobs up to 10 or turning the amp up with a live jack lead plugged in then fumbling around to plug that into the bass. With my guitar amp, I've also caught people flicking the power switch on and off repeatedly because they don't understand that a valve amp doesn't make any noise for half a minute or so. Flicking it on and off like that can cause a valve rectifier to arc and fail catastrophically. I can see why house amps or rehearsal gear are so often completely knackered!

I used to encounter this type of thing regularly back when I played in originals bands - four bands all playing short sets with not enough space for 4 sets of equipment, never mind time to change over. In my experience, the bass amp was typically just for on-stage monitoring, as the sound guys insisted on using their own DI boxes. Can work quite well, but the bands have to discuss beforehand to make it work.

We played a charity event in a pub a couple of years ago, the guy arranging it said the 'headline' act were providing the backline, so don't bother bringing any anything other than our instruments (cymbals etc for the stickman!). Few snide remarks from the band on the night - 'not bad just turning up with guitars using someone elses gear'.

The really interesting piece was when we discovered what gear they had.... guitarist had a full 2 x 4 x 12 Marshall stack - for a 100 capacity pub outside Glasgow! Our guitarist normally uses a 1x12 combo. Bass rig was a bit more sensible, thankfully. They were an Ozzy / Black Sabbath tribute - totally mis-matched to my band which played pop covers! That was our final multi-band gig - been nothing but functions since!

I have a peavey combo which tends to shut down after a bit of abuse. I once played a gig, the headliner turned up just after we'd played our set citing traffic issues. They said they didn't have time to get their bass rig but I'm certain they didn't have one. Anyway, I said no problem, just make sure this yellow light doesn't come on on the amp. He completely ignored me, thrashing the hell out of it with the yellow warning light on constantly. I was standing at the back with a big grin on my face just waiting for it to cut out.

Unfortunately the amp held out for the full 30 minute set :(

Am I the only one who happily lets other bands use his/her amp? I will politely but firmly tell the players not to put the volume above a certain level, and absolutely no drinks near it. People who don't know me can be intimidated by my large stature, and therefore tend to respect my wishes :-D

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1409057926' post='2535868']
There's quite a range of meanings, very varied. Not sure if that applies to the OP, though..! :P
[/quote]

Indeed. I have therefore submitted a more apposite definition to The Urban Dictionary. If accepted it will retrospectively cover the OP's communicational intent:

[quote]
[b]Ched[/b]: An electric bass guitarist who arrives at a gig without means of amplification and uses another player's equipment often without soliciting the owner's permission.

[b]Example[/b]: [i]'So the other band is playing and I look up like and this ched is slamming away through my amp. It's clipping like a mother so I get up there and turn it down and the Ched's like what are you doing, man, then I wait till afterwards and I blow his sh*t the f*ck up, right there in front of his 14 year-old friends'[/i][/quote]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1409058585' post='2535875']
I wonder how these people have managed to get to adulthood without electrocuting themselvs trying to play bass in the bath or something....
[/quote]

I used to do that but packed it in a while ago. I wasn't bothered by the shocks, but the sound was too clean.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1409068451' post='2535990']
If its a pay to play gig, he can hire it for £25 per band...

At the very least make sure he knows he pays if its damaged.
[/quote]

Or tell him you have some "bass amp loan tickets", you post 25 of them to him 3 days before the gig for him to sell to friends and family for £5 each on the understanding he pays you £5 for each one he ruturns to you unsold when you get there but he can keep £1 from each one he sells ;)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409072486' post='2536047']
Or tell him you have some "bass amp loan tickets", you post 25 of them to him 3 days before the gig for him to sell to friends and family for £5 each on the understanding he pays you £5 for each one he ruturns to you unsold when you get there but he can keep £1 from each one he sells ;)
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I used to be sympathetic to the 'changeover time' and sound check argument and I have lent my gear to other bassists on the same bill with no problems. But we supported Neville Staple once (ex specials) and they stipulated a clear stage so after we had finished we cleared all our gear away quickly. Neville & his band had their own sound guy and I reckon that within 15 minutes they had everything set up and started playing their first song with no sound check and it was all good. I guess their sound guy did everything on the fly, but whatever he did, he did a good job. So fast changeovers can be done and is not really a good excuse for sharing loads of gear.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1409073446' post='2536064']
So fast changeovers can be done and is not really a good excuse for sharing loads of gear.
[/quote]

Yes, they can be done. Mind you, there's a difference between Mr Neville Staples' road-honed combo and four bands comprising a total of four drummers (each of whom takes an hour to set up his kit) and 12 other numpties all getting in the way and yelling 'Oh, get a move on Bob, FFS!'

People are sometimes a bit quick to get angry and keen to make a point over this issue. On one occasion a soundman suggested to our drummer that he ask the headline band's drummer if he could share his kit to make things easier. He did this and received an aggressively phrased reply about being a professional, would you let me borrow your wife/car/Rolex? etc, before our poor chap had a chance to say that he had brought his own kit and had no problem setting it up!