Why become a member? ×

how to...'politely'

andydye

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1409069826' post='2536008']
[b]Ched[/b]: An electric bass guitarist who arrives at a gig without means of amplification and uses another player's equipment often without soliciting the owner's permission.

[b]Example[/b]: [i]'So the other band is playing and I look up like and this ched is slamming away through my amp. It's clipping like a mother so I get up there and turn it down and the Ched's like what are you doing, man, then I wait till afterwards and I blow his sh*t the f*ck up, right there in front of his 14 year-old friends'[/i]
[/quote]

this is awesome and caused a public snigger :D

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1409080625' post='2536172']
Yes, they can be done. Mind you, there's a difference between Mr Neville Staples' road-honed combo and four bands comprising a total of four drummers (each of whom takes an hour to set up his kit) and 12 other numpties all getting in the way and yelling 'Oh, get a move on Bob, FFS!'
[/quote]

Yep, I'd heard those rumours but it was the first time I'd ever witnessed it. It was like pulling oneself up to peer over a high wall at the promised land, but not being able to hold on for too long before slipping back down into the mild chaos of hobby bands. Ah well, better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all - to paraphrase a well know adage. :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409072486' post='2536047']
Or tell him you have some "bass amp loan tickets", you post 25 of them to him 3 days before the gig for him to sell to friends and family for £5 each on the understanding he pays you £5 for each one he ruturns to you unsold when you get there but he can keep £1 from each one he sells ;)
[/quote]

Best idea yet.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409072486' post='2536047']

Or tell him you have some "bass amp loan tickets", you post 25 of them to him 3 days before the gig for him to sell to friends and family for £5 each on the understanding he pays you £5 for each one he ruturns to you unsold when you get there but he can keep £1 from each one he sells ;)
[/quote]

That's amazing!! Love it :)

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1409050349' post='2535743']
...tell a promoter that 'yes I do have a bass amp but no it's not for all and sundry on the bill to use, I bought it, it's mine to look after and I don't know the other cheds from adam so they're not chuffin using it'...?

...any ideas?
[/quote]

I know a band that is travelling from the south coast to near Hull ( 5 hrs drive ) to supply all the gear for a 4 band line-up as they are headlining
so they set everything up, break it down, and will probably take 24 hrs all-in on this to arrive back home...??
They have been going for some time/years.. At what point do they get it that no one is buying what they sell..??
What sort fo band turn up without instruments..??
I can understand a gear share to a degree, but this all sounds like happy amateur hour and I can't see what the attraction for a gig like this is.. for the life of me..!!

Don't like gear shares either... I have all I need to do a gig and I wonder what sort of joker doesn't..
Having said that...if we had a sensible chat and I wanted to help the guy, they may be able to use my rig but I'd have to be confident they knew what they were doing.
People who turn up thinking I am their roadie who is hanging round whilst they do their thing...ha ha .. really..???

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1409602775' post='2541477']
Sometimes it works out OK. A guy let me use his very nice Trace rig on Saturday even though my own gear was on site.

Just made life easier as his was already on the stage.
[/quote]

I have no issue with this, if its a ballache to move gear about and the sun is shining and the beer is nice I am all for using someone elses amp if they offer it to me, likewise I might offer mine if I can see they have bought one with them. If the support band are young and have a practice type amp but are friendly and appear as though they wont break stuff I will offer it up too, the last one had an old marshall combo about 30watts, his face using the Genz 9.2 shuttlemax and 2x12 cab was worth letting him use it :)

Turn up with a silly haircut, no amp and no manners then be preapred to hear what a clean DI coming back at you via a beer and piss soaked PA wedge from the 80s sounds like :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409603852' post='2541497']

Turn up with a silly haircut, no amp and no manners then be preapred to hear what a clean DI coming back at you via a beer and piss soaked PA wedge from the 80s sounds like :D
[/quote]

Now where's that "like" button? :lol:

I'm happy to let a few friends use my stack, as they know that if they blow it, they pay for it, and they'll owe me some serious favours afterwards. If someone turns out expecting to use it without even having the decency to check in advance, then they'll quickly get very familiar with Mr DI Box and stingrayPete's piss-soaked monitors.

We once had a well-known comedian turn up at a function that we were playing, insisting on using our PA only to spend the first 5 minutes of his set complaining about the sound and the mic (for the record, they were both more than fine). Our singer's response earned him eternal kudos in our eyes - he went up, took the mic off him, switched off the PA and told the comedian "looks like you'd better speak up, f#@ker!"

[quote name='sharkboy' timestamp='1409607455' post='2541564']
Now where's that "like" button? :lol:

I'm happy to let a few friends use my stack, as they know that if they blow it, they pay for it, and they'll owe me some serious favours afterwards. If someone turns out expecting to use it without even having the decency to check in advance, then they'll quickly get very familiar with Mr DI Box and stingrayPete's piss-soaked monitors.

We once had a well-known comedian turn up at a function that we were playing, insisting on using our PA only to spend the first 5 minutes of his set complaining about the sound and the mic (for the record, they were both more than fine). Our singer's response earned him eternal kudos in our eyes - he went up, took the mic off him, switched off the PA and told the comedian "looks like you'd better speak up, f#@ker!"
[/quote]

Mint!

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1409084171' post='2536243']
People are sometimes a bit quick to get angry and keen to make a point over this issue. On one occasion a soundman suggested to our drummer that he ask the headline band's drummer if he could share his kit to make things easier. He did this and received an aggressively phrased reply about being a professional, would you let me borrow your wife/car/Rolex? etc, before our poor chap had a chance to say that he had brought his own kit and had no problem setting it up!
[/quote]

I agree. Too many grumpy buggers kicking about!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409603852' post='2541497']

[/quote]

So if they aint got a nice wholesome haircut you wont lend it ?

I usually try and help young kids out, up to a point anyway. I was an uncouth hairy yob myself at that age. Once had a nicely dressed, polite young lad ask to borrow my Bass, thats a step too far really but I let him use it.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1409056218' post='2535825']
my stance on all gigs is that i am willing to bring my own gear and any other bass player should be able to do the same. i don't like to borrow gear unless totally necessary as i would not want to risk damaging someone elses gear.

i will not deal with promoters when it comes to gear or gear shares, they want the easy option and all to often i have shown up and they have expected me to provide the back line... in these cases i have told them in no uncertain terms to go do one. several times we have done shows to be told "the band don't own amps"... then DI them... simple.

promoters often bang on about "change over times. man"... i can get my gear up and down in less than 10 minutes, and that includes plugging it in to the board... i'm sure people with a smaller or lighter rig than mine could do it in less... so unless there is a genuine issue at a venue such as space i don't see why there is this constant requirement to share.

as i say, i hate borrowing gear as i hate lending it... it winds me up when i go to gigs and other bands can't be bothered to bring their own gear. I paid good money for mine, and if someone breaks it which has happened in the past they don't claim responsibility, they don't have to get it fixed for the next gig etc

so in short, tell them to f*** off, say you have an amp and that you are using it, if the other bands don't bring gear then tough
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1409063530' post='2535932']
I used to encounter this type of thing regularly back when I played in originals bands - four bands all playing short sets with not enough space for 4 sets of equipment, never mind time to change over. In my experience, the bass amp was typically just for on-stage monitoring, as the sound guys insisted on using their own DI boxes. Can work quite well, [b]but the bands have to discuss beforehand to make it work.[/b]
[/quote]

that is something that annoys me... if YOU are the PROMOTER, then YOU figure it out!

You asked me to come and play, and I will come and play, and bring the necessary gear to come and play. If you tell me there's amps provided... I would still probably use mine anyway 90% of the times. But if you're organising it, don't ask me to start talking to other bands to organise anything. Hire a backline, or whatever, but leave me out of it.

A lot of the "promoters" of these small multiband events are just lazy opportunistic gits. It would work better if the bands involved hired the venue themselves!

[quote name='TheSiberian' timestamp='1409921020' post='2544602']
I would leave my amp at home and ask the promoter to rent one for me. This you can find in most of the tour riders...
After this I see no problem to let other players to use it.
Best
[/quote]

We dont get many gigs with riders. Last one was a support for a well known 70s band, our rider was a slab of beer but the promoter 'forgot' it. :D[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1409913085' post='2544502']
But from the promoter's perspective, they ARE figuring it out . . . by asking bands to share gear. ;)
[/quote]

Yep...and they may construct the bill on the basis that one band is willing to get there earlier than everyone else, get all the gear in
and set-up and then wait around until everything has finished to take it down and drive home, sometimes hours away.
How desperate do you have to be to 'headline' this type of event..??
Have we even mentioned money ?? :lol:

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1409923327' post='2544629']

We dont get many gigs with riders. Last one was a support for a well known 70s band, our rider was a slab of beer but the promoter 'forgot' it. :D[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

Ha,ha...then it's maybe better to stay at home with the amp...lol
Best

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1409927451' post='2544674']
Yep...and they may construct the bill on the basis that one band is willing to get there earlier than everyone else, get all the gear in
and set-up and then wait around until everything has finished to take it down and drive home, sometimes hours away.
How desperate do you have to be to 'headline' this type of event..??
Have we even mentioned money ?? :lol:
[/quote]

Convenient how the last band on does the first soundcheck isnt it ?