Why become a member? ×

how to...'politely'

andydye

...tell a promoter that 'yes I do have a bass amp but no it's not for all and sundry on the bill to use, I bought it, it's mine to look after and I don't know the other cheds from adam so they're not chuffin using it'...?

...any ideas?

Well, you could try saying '[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]yes I do have a bass amp but no it's not for all and sundry on the bill to use, I bought it, it's mine to look after and I don't know the other [s]cheds [/s]chaps from adam so they're not [s]chuffin[/s] using it'[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hope this helps :)[/font][/color]

"Yes I do have a bass amp, but it's MINE and not a house rig and I am not prepared for it to be used by the other bands on the bill. I presume their bassists have their own equipment, so they can do what I am doing and BRING IT TO THE GIG. I worked long and hard to afford this kit and I have seen too much nice gear get abused by hamfisted supports over the years to want mine ending up the same."

Optional addition:

"If you [i]insist[/i] on the other bands using my rig, then [u]you[/u] are a} responsible for any damage caused and b} will underwrite any repair costs incurred, and I would like that in writing please."

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1409051057' post='2535758']
"Yes I do have a bass amp, but it's MINE and not a house rig and I am not prepared for it to be used by the other bands on the bill. I presume their bassists have their own equipment, so they can do what I am doing and BRING IT TO THE GIG. I worked long and hard to afford this kit and I have seen too much nice gear get abused by hamfisted supports over the years to want mine ending up the same."
[/quote]

Best answer so far, IMO. Why should one bassist be expected to supply amps or other necessities for people that he may not even know. Is it not up to everyone to supply their own gear ?????

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1409050886' post='2535755']
Promoters understand cold, hard cash.

Offer him the use of your bass amp for the entire gig for an entirely nominal fee of, say, £100.

End of.
[/quote]

That's one way of looking at it, but the point is that one person should not be expected to be the supplier of gear for all other bands.

Edited by Coilte

some magnificent ideas here guys, thanks! ...a few chuckles too :)

I ended up with "...we will bring all our own amps (guitar and bass), cymbals, snare, stands etc. My bass amp is a big [b][i]expensive [/i][/b]all valve thing and I'm not comfortable letting other folks use it I'm afraid. Sorry"

he seemed fine with that...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1409052120' post='2535768']
"Expected to ..." = Of course not.

"Paid to ..." = Well why not? :)
[/quote]

Indeed, but he should have the option of saying no.

Again, my point is that the situation should not arise where all depends on one person supplying gear, regardless of whether he is payed or not.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1409050349' post='2535743']
...tell a promoter that 'yes I do have a bass amp but no it's not for all and sundry on the bill to use, I bought it, it's mine to look after and I don't know the other cheds from adam so they're not chuffin using it'...?

...any ideas?
[/quote]

I have this on a regular basis.

We gig a lot in our city, and we all have decent valve based equipment.

If a promoter asks to use my bass rig, or my other band members rigs, its a flat out: [i]No, I wont be lending out over a grands worth of equipment to another band. [/i]Then on the night of the gig, I will tape over the input socket on the amp so its clear.

However, if the bassist in another band asks me before hand, with a genuine reason, I know them or we can work out some cab/amp share arrangement then its all golden.

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1409054317' post='2535795']
However, if the bassist in another band asks me before hand, with a genuine reason, I know them or we can work out some cab/amp share arrangement then its all golden.
[/quote]

this will eventually be my position when I've played around Sheff a bit more and know a few more bands, I'm relatively new to this local scene so don't know many other bass players yet to be able to do this...

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1409054724' post='2535797']

this will eventually be my position when I've played around Sheff a bit more and know a few more bands, I'm relatively new to this local scene so don't know many other bass players yet to be able to do this...
[/quote]

We always provide contracts for any gigs to ensure we're covered for payment. These also include additional contracts for hire of our equipment at festivals or shared gigs etc. If the venue choose to use our stuff and sign the contract, they agree to pay for the hire and cover damages by other bands/acts using the equipment. If they choose to not sign and use someone else's gear, we have them sign a different contract that allows us to use out gear and remove it from use for any other bands, meaning we can politely say 'the promoter has provided that back line gear for you' to anyone else whilst packing away our gear.

It's fairly easy to cover yourself if you plan ahead. Musicians Union have some great pre-existing contracts and contract templates to use (and also a great legal team who can help you when someone does eventually try to bend the rules on parent of equipment use etc).

Edited by skej21

my stance on all gigs is that i am willing to bring my own gear and any other bass player should be able to do the same. i don't like to borrow gear unless totally necessary as i would not want to risk damaging someone elses gear.

i will not deal with promoters when it comes to gear or gear shares, they want the easy option and all to often i have shown up and they have expected me to provide the back line... in these cases i have told them in no uncertain terms to go do one. several times we have done shows to be told "the band don't own amps"... then DI them... simple.

promoters often bang on about "change over times. man"... i can get my gear up and down in less than 10 minutes, and that includes plugging it in to the board... i'm sure people with a smaller or lighter rig than mine could do it in less... so unless there is a genuine issue at a venue such as space i don't see why there is this constant requirement to share.

as i say, i hate borrowing gear as i hate lending it... it winds me up when i go to gigs and other bands can't be bothered to bring their own gear. I paid good money for mine, and if someone breaks it which has happened in the past they don't claim responsibility, they don't have to get it fixed for the next gig etc

so in short, tell them to f*** off, say you have an amp and that you are using it, if the other bands don't bring gear then tough

cheers bass brothers, seems I'm not the only one thinking...[i]'I've bought the amp I wanted in order to make the sound I wanna make with the band I'm playing in and every other ched who's wanting to play really ought to have done the same or they'll be really quiet and if they can't be arsed fetchin their kit out then nanas to them' [/i]

:)

Edited by andydye

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1409056632' post='2535839']
What's a ched? :blink:
[/quote]

This may help..? :lol:[size=4] [/size][size=4] :lol: :lol: ( ... or not..!)[/size]

[url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ched"][size=4]'Ched' definition...[/size][/url]