Why become a member? ×

Feedback for Andyjr1515

Paul S

It is my pleasure to start off a feedback thread for Andy, who has just refinished a bass and head stock for me to the highest standards.

I had a Fender Precision Lyte that I had tried to refinish myself and made a lash-up of it - needed completely stripping and starting again. I also had a lovely old Westone Pantera Deluxe II X790 that has some issues on the head stock around the tuners - the lacquer had cracked. I noticed that he was good at what he does when he rescued a fretless bass for someone. Andy seemed like the right guy for the job, and so it turned out. I was in no hurry, he took his time. He constantly updated me with pictures of progress, pitfalls and triumphs. Both were perfect jobs - I couldn't be happier. And, rather than abandon the basses to the vagaries of a courier, he met me at both ends of the process using plenty of his own time and fuel.

I cannot recommend him highly enough. :)

I believe he is going to do a thread on the progress and how it turned out.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Andyjr1515 -

Splendid fellow. I met him recently when he agreed to have a look at my B2A.

By arrangement I took the stick to his place and we discussed what would be worth doing and what would be nice to have if time and money were of no concern. He's quite a pleasant chap to talk with and we settled on a repair/replacement of the seemingly inoperative pre-amp, a change of jack socket and a light polish on the fretboard.

The pre-amp turned out to be okay when he put in the new battery that I had supplied. If memory serves, the last time I tried it and thought it had failed I had used a rechargeable battery. I read recently (elsewhere on this forum) that rechargeable batteries don't always work in B2As. He told me when he rang to update me that the amp was fine and needed no further attention.

He did the job in slightly less than a week. He even dropped it off at ours and stopped for a chat. All he wanted was for his expenses to be covered. It was a relatively minor job and Andy may have a tendency to undersell his work so I made sure he could have a couple of drinks for his trouble.

I am happy now that I have a crackle-free connection. The stick sounds good because I don't tense up in trying not to cause crackle. The fret board is nicely oiled and the frets twinkle when they catch the light - nice.

Thank you Andy. I am happy to recommend you should anyone be looking for assistance with their guitar maintenance.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1462625365' post='3044479']
Andyjr1515 -

Splendid fellow. I met him recently when he agreed to have a look at my B2A.

By arrangement I took the stick to his place and we discussed what would be worth doing and what would be nice to have if time and money were of no concern. He's quite a pleasant chap to talk with and we settled on a repair/replacement of the seemingly inoperative pre-amp, a change of jack socket and a light polish on the fretboard.

The pre-amp turned out to be okay when he put in the new battery that I had supplied. If memory serves, the last time I tried it and thought it had failed I had used a rechargeable battery. I read recently (elsewhere on this forum) that rechargeable batteries don't always work in B2As. He told me when he rang to update me that the amp was fine and needed no further attention.

He did the job in slightly less than a week. He even dropped it off at ours and stopped for a chat. All he wanted was for his expenses to be covered. It was a relatively minor job and Andy may have a tendency to undersell his work so I made sure he could have a couple of drinks for his trouble.

I am happy now that I have a crackle-free connection. The stick sounds good because I don't tense up in trying not to cause crackle. The fret board is nicely oiled and the frets twinkle when they catch the light - nice.

Thank you Andy. I am happy to recommend you should anyone be looking for assistance with their guitar maintenance.
[/quote]

Thanks for this John! The jack socket is often the culprit - happily it was this time too. Very glad to help - hope you enjoy gigging with it :)

• 4 weeks later...

[size=7]BIG, BIG THANKS[/size] going out to Andy for the work he did to refurb my mystery bass - check out the photos which I'm sure will be posted in the Herts Bash 2016 and Build Diaries threads - absolute masterpiece. Lots of positive comments from those who saw and tried it - plenty also from those who had seen it in it's previous form at the Midlands Bash.

I can not recommend Andy's work enough - large job or small, Andy should be your first choice for luthier.

Thanks, Mick. It was all worth it just to see the look on your face when you opened the case :D

Thanks for letting me have a go at such an interesting project...and we both knew that, underneath the cracks, splits, crud and bruises, there was a really nice bass lurking underneath.

• 5 months later...

Small job by Andy's standards but one he embraced wholeheartedly - he added an Aguilar P pickup into my Musicman Sterling 5 string, doing the necessary routing, making a pickguard from scratch to accommodate it and replaced all the wiring to make it passive. Cosmetically the job is perfect - looks like it was out of the factory like it. Sounds fantastic, too. Not to mention a 2 hr each way drive for the meet up. And he is such a gentleman to deal with!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1481474970' post='3192536']
Nothing but praise for Andy - he brought a Yamaha bb604 to my house for me to try out, and it was lovely so I bought it!

Top bloke, fantastic bass and he even restrung and set up for me.
Pleasure doing business fella.
[/quote]
Thanks, Chris :)

It was good to meet again - and put the face to the name from the last basschat Midlands Bash!

Pete our bassist will also be very pleased it's gone to a good home :)

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

More positive feedback for Andy....

The Psilos Bass developed a niggle that had outsmarted me and my local tech guy. Andy drove to Hatfield from Derbyshire to collect and deliver the "repaired" bass - personally, I wouldn't have - would have relied on couriers - but Andy saw it as his duty to do "the right thing"...Bass now functioning as it should....

Great news for any potential new customers.

Many thanks, Andy...

On 15/05/2018 at 13:21, TheGreek said:

More positive feedback for Andy....

The Psilos Bass developed a niggle that had outsmarted me and my local tech guy. Andy drove to Hatfield from Derbyshire to collect and deliver the "repaired" bass - personally, I wouldn't have - would have relied on couriers - but Andy saw it as his duty to do "the right thing"...Bass now functioning as it should....

Great news for any potential new customers.

Many thanks, Andy...

No probs, Mick. 

Pleased we got it all sorted and it was good to see it again.  Thanks also to @Len_Derby and @Chris Sharman for letting me use their respective bass rigs to check it was all working OK :)

• Like 1