Why become a member? ×

Vox VBW-2500 Teardrop bass - TRADED
£850

hanzepans

I am selling a Vox VBW-2500 Bill Wyman Teardrop bass. This is a beautiful shortscale bass, handmade in Japan around 2008.

It's is a pretty rare model that you won't see too often. A bit of history about this bass: Around 1960 Vox made a signature model of their Mark IV teardrop bass for Bill Wyman. Around 2007-2009 Vox Japan made a limited run of reissues of the Bill Wyman bass. The reissue came in two models, the more traditional VBW-2000 and the more expensive VBW-2500. The basses were handmade in Japan in a limited run of about 100 pieces. More info about these basses is still available on the [url="http://www.voxamps.jp/products/VBW-2500/spec.html"]Vox Japan website[/url].

Craftmanship is excellent. The neck is pretty thin and the bass is very light. The bass has alnico single coil pickups that give it a very nice and warm sound, with all the characteristics of a hollowbody bass. The sound is also quite deep for a shortscale.

Due to their limited availability these were [i]very[/i] expensive basses at the time. I'm looking for [s]850[/s] [u]750[/u][b] 700 pounds including shipping to the UK [/b](I'm located in The Netherlands). I can ship it safely in a big box, don't worry. The bass is in near mint condition, all original and comes with its original hardshell case.

Here are some specs:
- Neck: 770mm Scale length mahogany 22-frets(w/zero fret), bound rosewood and dot inlays
- Hardware: VOX CS stoptail, bridge with cover, Goto BG707-C Tuners, VOX custom single coil bass pickups
- Finish: Whale Blue
- Weight around 3.18Kg
- Hard shell case

Pics of the bass:

Edited by hanzepans

Looking straight from the top the E string does not completely miss the pole piece, it's on the edge as you can see in the last pic in which the bass is in it's hardcase. It doesn't seem to affect the sound. If you look on the [url="http://www.voxamps.jp/products/VBW-2500/index.html"]Vox website[/url], you'll see that the blue bass pictured there has the exact same string/pole piece positioning on the E string, so I think that's how they are built.

The pickup is adjustable in height only. However, the spacing of the strings can be adjusted on the bridge saddles, since the saddles are of the brass ribbed type that allow you to move the strings from side to side, like the old jazz basses used to have.

Edited by hanzepans

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I just made a quick video with some soundsamples, see below. Never mind the fret buzz, that is from my fingers digging in too deep :-)[/font][/color]
In the video the bass is strung with roundwounds, but it probably would sound awesome with flatwounds, and played with a pick.

[media]http://youtu.be/-jBWrRUeawU[/media]

Edited by hanzepans

When I bought my first bass they had a similar bass in the shop the week before - gone when I went in - not surprising as it was advertised for £100. Ridiculous I know but it was the 80s and these would have been ultra unfashionable at the time...

Lovely looking...should sell without too many problems...GLWTS

• 2 weeks later...