Why become a member? ×

Westone Pantera X790 Headstock Refurb

Andyjr1515

Hi

Following my thread of Chris S's Westone Thunder III refurb, I was contacted by fellow forumite Paul S with reference to his own Westone, a fabulous X790.

It had suffered a few years ago from a problem with the headstock that Paul had patched but needed a proper look at. I stressed that my finishing method would never match a professional spray/buff/polish job but Paul was happy to go ahead anyway.

Fortuitously, I was flying into Luton - halfway between the two of us - the following week, so we agreed a handover there. Paul also asked me to look at a Fender Precision Lyte body, which I will cover in a separate thread.

The X790 is/was a FABULOUS bass. But the headstock problem was unusual - at first it appeared to be stress cracks in the varnish from the machine-head washers and nuts:

Paul had patched where the varnish had completely chipped away, but it was clear that there was a fissure right down to the wood on at least two of them.

As with Chris S's headstock, I was concerned - if the logo turned out to be a transfer - not to sand into that area. If it was a transfer, it would be pretty impossible to reproduce it.

I took the machine heads off and started sanding:

I'll post again shortly but, in the meantime, note not only the breakthroughs, but also the 'light' patches

Andy

I sanded the headstock down at an angle to retain the original varnish over the logo. What became clear was that the original problem has come from poor adhesion of the varnish to the paint in a number of places - around the A; D and G machine-head holes, but also in places along the top edge, particularly top left corner.

At this stage, I knew I would have to sand down to the wood, at least in places. If it wasn't for the logo, it would be simply sand down to the wood for all of it, repaint and revarnish. I decided, instead, that I would need to do a, 'invisible' repair - easier with black than most other colours.

First task was to get past all of the unsound varnish - this is almost there:

For patching up the black, I used Staedtler permanent marker pens. Again, if it was sanded right down, I would have used black permanent ink as the stain, which would soak into the wood but (hopefully) wipe or sand off the inlay. Again, however, I couldn't risk the logo being a transfer - I figured no chance of getting hold of one of those 25 years after Westone disappeared off the scene! The advantage with the Staedtler pens is that they work over varnish (they were designed for overhead projector acetates) so not only could the bare wood be hidden, but the varnish/paint/wood thresholds too.

Worked quite well - this was after a first sealing coat of varnish:

Next was just more coats of varnish. As some of you know, I use a wipe-on method of varnishing. It doesn't, in my view, match a professional spray finish, but it can get pretty close and, not having any facilities for spraying, is certainly more practical for me.

This is how it came up prior to its final drying time:

Before refitting the tuners, I needed to let the varnish fully harden, so while I was waiting, I gave the frets a quick tidy up and polish, oiled the fretboard, and hid a few of the dints and scratches that the body had picked up over its years of play. Again, the staedtler pen was great for turning the 'white' poly dints invisible. These were some of them (before):

....and this was after a staedtlering and a quick polish...

The final headstock? It came out like this...

Doesn't look bad for its age! It also sounds stupendous. :)

Met Paul S today to pass it back over. He was well chuffed how it looked... I'm just waiting for the feedback whether he likes the set-up I've done for him. I've flattened the neck relief a touch and lowered the action from how it was....

Andy

Edited by Andyjr1515

Hi Andy - you won't have to wait long for the feedback. I really couldn't be more pleased. The pictures don't actually go anywhere doing the finish on the headstock justice - it really looks brand new. And all the other 'extras' - the set up is perfect - I used it at rehearsal last night and it felt just right, almost plays itself. The body and neck are looking absolutely great, too. Apart from the lacquer on the headstock I didn't really consider the bass to be bad nick for a 28 yr old but now it is pretty nearly showroom condition again. Exactly what a bass of this quality and rarity deserves, i reckon. Brilliant job :)

Second Pantera I've seen in 12 hours. Lovely bass and a great job you did there.

If you get another Westone to work on I've got the logos and the Phoenix symbol. You can get water slide paper and just print them.

Would attach them but it says I've used up my quota.

Edited by kodiakblair

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1409237896' post='2537854']
The logo on the headstock of this is inlaid, rather than decal.
[/quote]

Yes - Paul's right. After all the care not to damage the 'decal' it turned out that the logo was a Mother of Pearl inlay - class job with such fine detailing!

...and as Paul says - you've seen another one???? Did you buy it? Did you steal it? If not, why not? :D

Sadly not in the flesh or it would be mine.

Fella over on TB Wolfmancharlie posted photos of his latest build and the Pantera was next to it.Funnily enough every photo he does has a Westone in it.
Might have something to with him being #1 of the Electra/Westone club there.

Andy I emailed those logos to your site just in case.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1409247322' post='2537969']
Sadly not in the flesh or it would be mine.

Fella over on TB Wolfmancharlie posted photos of his latest build and the Pantera was next to it.Funnily enough every photo he does has a Westone in it.
Might have something to with him being #1 of the Electra/Westone club there.

Andy I emailed those logos to your site just in case.
[/quote]

Great - thanks!

Our friends overseas just informed me about an X750 for $174

Course they know fine well I'm in Scotland,do they take sadistic pleasure in telling me these thing ?

Last night it was $300 is too much for a T-40

My only come back was not telling them Thomann ship to the States for 39 euros for 30 minutes while they tried to source
a Harley Benton HB-60.

Not quite the same is it.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1409258768' post='2538138']
Fantastic job :) could you please post a link to what exact marker pens you use please? I did Google it but there's hundreds of results lol thanks in advance :)
[/quote]

Hi, Thunderbird

[url="http://www.staples.co.uk/lumocolor-permanent-medium-assorted-pack-4/cbs/105528.html?price=incvat&cm_mmc=SEM_PLA-_-google-_-serp-pla&gclid=CNnH2K_wtsACFfOhtAodpzUAuQ"]It's these[/url]

Andy

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1409260588' post='2538166']
Hi, Thunderbird

[url="http://www.staples.co.uk/lumocolor-permanent-medium-assorted-pack-4/cbs/105528.html?price=incvat&cm_mmc=SEM_PLA-_-google-_-serp-pla&gclid=CNnH2K_wtsACFfOhtAodpzUAuQ"]It's these[/url]

Andy
[/quote] Hi Andy thanks for that much appreciated :)

It was new to me too but one of the nicest basses I've held in my sticky mitts. Sounds absolutely fabulous too. Great temptation to grow a beard, sell the house and sneak off to a distant land with it...but I reckoned that Paul would probably (and understandably) track me down :lol:

• 2 years later...

Maybe it is interesting to you to know that this bass is located in Munich (Germany) now and gets played on a daily basis. It received new frets and new Glockenklang electronics and I love it.

It was reunited with his sister, a white Westone Pantera X390 a while ago :)

Edited by DanTM