Why become a member? ×

It's all in the (domain) name....

MoJoKe

Does anyone type in precise domain names these days. Wouldn't they just type in '60s explosion' or 'sixties explosion' and rely on Google to provide the exact link? I thought this was why SEO was so important these days.

I can't remember the last time I typed in an entire domain name exactly.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1409126364' post='2536473']
Does anyone type in precise domain names these days. Wouldn't they just type in '60s explosion' or 'sixties explosion' and rely on Google to provide the exact link? I thought this was why SEO was so important these days.

I can't remember the last time I typed in an entire domain name exactly.
[/quote]

If you have no search presence, it's vital. The OP is well ranked in Google though, so yes - it's a moot point.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1409126447' post='2536479']

If you have no search presence, it's vital. The OP is well ranked in Google though, so yes - it's a moot point.
[/quote]
If you have no search presence then you virtually don't exist ;-) also be careful of using unsafe characters in URI's

The live video is great, maybe having some more songs in live video format is a better idea than recording tracks in the studio - clients are booking you for a live show, not buying albums, and you can bring it on stage, so play to your strengths.

The only nitpick I had about your promo vid was the audio is a bit distorted, in future if you could record straight from the desk (preferably multitrack) on a gig where everything is going through the PA and then resync the higher quality audio with video(quality fine in your existing promo IMHO) from the camera, dumping the sound from the cameras onboard mics you would keep everything that is great about your live performance, and up the quality of the overall presentation.

Maybe consider having a video gallery of individual songs.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1409129339' post='2536526']

The only nitpick I had about your promo vid was the audio is a bit distorted...

[/quote]

Yes. the video was one recorded at a professional showcase over two days, with about 30 acts, with a professional crew, sound to camera from their Digital desk. On the second evening all the videos were perfect, but on the first, our night, all were distorted. The output from the desk to the camera must have been clipping but no-one spotted it until too late.

We will be doing more recordings from gigs, now that we have an X32 desk and I have a new macbookpro/Logic. All we need is a couple of cameras, and we'll do some live video too.

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1409081693' post='2536197']
Aye there's 'sex' in it....but really I don't think it's a problem to be honest. Stick with the first one as it is the name after all as it's already been mentioned
[/quote]

sometimes they are all thats left available after interweb scumbags snipe all the proper names :(

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1409123780' post='2536429']
I had no idea hyphens were old fashioned! so dots are considered OK or will they age to? the reason I ask is my business has a hyphen in it's domain name.
[/quote]

I see nothing wrong with hyphens, and don't see them as old fashioned. I'd rather have a hyphen than sex in the name, personally.

Dots are OK, but you need to own the parent domain. So to use eg sixties.explosion.co.uk you'd have to own explosion.co.uk, and use a host that allows subdomains...

Personally, I think that's far more messy than a hyphen.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1409130929' post='2536552']
I'd rather have a hyphen than sex in the name, personally.
[/quote]

Personally I'd rather have sex than a hyphen in my name!! B)

[size=4]The domain choices are as they are, I don't want to introduce any more options! Please vote even if you don't comment![/size]

Edited by MoJoKe

So, the verdict and plan...

www.sixtiesexplosion.co.uk wins hands down with over 75% of the votes, so this will be the main domain, and all the others will be forwarded to it. I am in the process of designing new graphics before the site goes live, and we will definitely have new video and audio content there...

Thanks for all the valuable input!

I would avoid the sexplosion and use a hyphen or even a subdomain like 60s.explosion.rocks unless you want your site added to this rather unfortunate list!

http://izismile.com/2009/11/05/30_most_unfortunate_websites_domain_names_24_pics.html

Edited by dannybuoy

Personally I don't have sex problems! I think there are too many "unfortunate" domain names which are far worse than this conundrum for the search engines to have issues with. My opinion is that the "sex" thing is no biggy (see what I did there, phner phner... and AntLockyer said "bottom" in his last post! ) generally making people chuckle in a Viz magazine way; I can live with that. My preference all along was the www.sixtiesexplosion.co.uk version, which I think hides it best anyway.

Also, it doesn't require a hyphen. Please don't get me started on that issue, I am having a teeshirt made which says "If I'm looking a bit serious it's because I'm busy correcting your Grammar in my head" I didn't design the old website, and the band name does NOT have, or need, a hyphen in it - anywhere.