Why become a member? ×

NBD: Harley Benton BZ-7000 7 String active bass

Annoying Twit

After being in delivery hyperspace for almost a week, it finally arrived today.

EDIT: Strange, the picture of the front seems to have stopped working. I'll try again.

Direct link: [url="http://i58.tinypic.com/17ff3q.jpg"]http://i58.tinypic.com/17ff3q.jpg[/url]

It's a very interesting instrument. It seems to be made well, but there are some flaws in the finish, and some scratches on the plastic bit that covers the electronics cavity.

I've been playing it today, and enjoying it greatly. Playability is about what you'd expect for the price, and sound similar for an active bass in this price range. The real bonus is 7 strings. This is, in my opinion, a very big advantage over a six string bass. I can play three octaves of major scale without moving my hand much. Clearly I can play bass parts on the normal 'bass' strings, but I can play chords by a number of techniques (block chords, strummed chords, fingerpicking styles) on the higher strings, and there's further to go when playing solos. (Not that I play solos well, but I wish to improve). It doesn't feel any more difficult to play than my Shine six string bass, except that I've noted that it's a bit more of a reach to get to the lowest frets on the B string, and playing hammer on fills low down on the B string is a bit more tricky. The ebonol fretboard is nice. It isn't as smooth and glossy as that on the Squier Vintage Modified Fretless bass, but it's a nice material. Certainly I prefer it to Rosewood. The push/pull 'passive' mode disables the EQ, which will mean that I can use outboard 'stuff' in tone-shaping. The three band EQ is a big step up from two band EQ.

There are certainly a lot os founds available from it. It's not the best sounding bass I have. I'd say that both my Cimar Rickenfaker and my Ibanez SR760 have a 'native' sound that's better, but the HZ-7000 is there or thereabouts. It's been reported on SevenString.org that changing the strings to Warwick Red Label strings considerably improved the sound. That's subjective, but it suggests that experimenting with strings may improve the sound.

Edited by Annoying Twit

That really is lovely AT. It must be almost twice the size of my 4 stringer :D

I'd say we made a wise choice on these or we just got lucky.Out the box I found mines sounded fine like you say nothing out the
ordinary but not bad sounding maybe the Nexus will change that.I see yours is strung through the body the 4s not,easy mod to
do though.

Well I'm off to play for a bit

Happy New Bass Day

It's got a high F. I really don't feel that I'd personally want a string lower than a B, but maybe if I ever encounter an instrument with such a string I might change my mind. If I remember correctly, this is the first bass I've played with a string (only the high F) which isn't wound.

This bass does seem to have quite a nice acoustic sound. But that may be due to the zombie killing neck on it. I've found a few more finish problems, but think that some of them will probably buff out if polished.

Going back and forth between the 7 string and a 4 string (Cimar) really makes me think that they're complementary instruments.

Edited by Annoying Twit

I'm pleased to see that the string through ferrules all seem to line up correctly with the multi-laminate neck/body plies (that always bugs me when I see lack of care in that sort of thing). 18 volt preamp as well - I'm sure you'll be able to coax some nice sounds out of that. Happy NBD!

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1409491353' post='2540120']
Bloomin' 'eck! Am I reading the price of these things right at around £230?!!

Looks like a lot of nice bass for the money. Good score :)
[/quote]

[size=7][size=6]WH[/size]AA[size=8]AAT[/size] [size=8]![/size][/size]

[size=4]£230 ?[/size]

That's a great looking bass, and for that price, spending a bit extra on a good set-up by a good luthier is well worth it.

:)

Edited by ambient

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1409671298' post='2542058']
While nothing is sure yet, Thomann has told me that it's possible that in the future they will sell Harley Benton basses with even more than seven strings. (I mentioned nine and eleven string basses in my enquiry).
[/quote]

I've little experience of ERBs really having only tried out a Seven breifly but I'd imagine that with any more than Seven (possibly Eight at a push) strings you would be unable to reach around the fretboard to play it in the conventional manner, meaning it would essentially become a tapping instrument? I can't see them displacing instruments played in the conventional manner but I guess they could be fun as a curiosity...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1409671719' post='2542064']

I've little experience of ERBs really having only tried out a Seven breifly but I'd imagine that with any more than Seven (possibly Eight at a push) strings you would be unable to reach around the fretboard to play it in the conventional manner, meaning it would essentially become a tapping instrument? I can't see them displacing instruments played in the conventional manner but I guess they could be fun as a curiosity...
[/quote]

Check out Yves Carbonne http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hPwMoiKaNOY

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1409672254' post='2542075']
Check out Yves Carbonne [url="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hPwMoiKaNOY"]http://m.youtube.com...h?v=hPwMoiKaNOY[/url]
[/quote]

No sound card in the works PC unfortunatly... he looks like he can reach fairly well though, his thumb must be at a funny angle on the back of the neck when he's playing the business strings though, I guess you could get used to it... Anyone play one standing up? must be damn heavy...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1409671719' post='2542064']
[/quote]

I thought I might have that trouble when I bought my six string bass. Then I thought might have that trouble when I bought the seven string bass. Didn't happen either time. I've just tried playing my seven string including reaching over to imaginary strings that might be there if it was a nine string. I could reach beyond the edge of the fretboard, but felt a stretch/strain in my wrist. Possibly something that I'd get used to - I remember how my thighs screamed the first few days I rode my single speed bicycle but I got used to it.

There's always the possibility of a narrower string spacing. The Hand of John Curley's Gretsch six string has narrower string spacing than I'm used to, as does the Squier Bass VI.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1409672344' post='2542076']
I look on ERBs as being a separate instrument to regular bass ��
[/quote]

I agree with this.

BTW: I don't think I'd ever want more than nine strings on a bass. I don't feel the need for a string lower than B, and a nine string would go as high as I'd really want to go.

Edited by Annoying Twit

• 10 months later...

I can't believe it but I am gassing for one of these. I play guitar as well as bass and have a credible pick technique. I can 'hear' this thing whereby I play a seven string bass tune BEADGBE (as opposed to BEADGBCF) effectively as a guitar/bass hybrid. A lot of seven string basses are used in heavy, driving musics but I can see a use for it in a kind of more laid-back, Steve Swallowesque way. Think Jim Hall but going lower. For the money they cost, it's got to be worth a punt!

Which Warwick Red Label strings are you referring to, bro? I can't see a seven set on-line but this ERB malarky is new to me - I have never even needed to buy a low B before!!! Just curious how much a set would be to replace the ones on this bass if I bought one.