Why become a member? ×

Kate Bush at the Hammersmith Apollo

rodney72a

I'd go in an instant if someone offered me a spare ticket. While I loved some of her early material, I much prefer the more recent stuff such as "A Sky of Honey" (especially "Sunset" and "Nocturn") and the first four songs of "50 words" plus "Among Angels". I find her work totally immersive.

Oldies but goodies! I've been a fan of Judie Tzuke since around the same time, and always go to the shows when she tours, and it's become a very personal thing between her and the fans - she pops up and asks for suggestions for new venues, and people suggest them, and they happen - she's been doing a song club for ages where we cough up for the CD price, and then she sends them out as downloads as they are recorded which is a great idea.

Long live the oldies!

[quote name='paulears' timestamp='1409169189' post='2537121']
Oldies but goodies! I've been a fan of Judie Tzuke since around the same time, and always go to the shows when she tours, and it's become a very personal thing between her and the fans - she pops up and asks for suggestions for new venues, and people suggest them, and they happen - she's been doing a song club for ages where we cough up for the CD price, and then she sends them out as downloads as they are recorded which is a great idea.
[/quote]

She's another favourite of mine too!

[quote name='paulears' timestamp='1409169189' post='2537121']

Long live the oldies!
[/quote]

Not a big fan of hers but what a great way of engaging with the fans. Total respect for that!

I want to be there, and I don't want to be there. She's possibly the only massive artiste who's managed to retain all her mystique and her legend remains intact. All the reviews are amazing, but you know, I just want to remember Kate Bush in the way I've always remembered her.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1409159084' post='2536967']
Wasn't there, and never a fan as such, so I have absolutely no idea, but could it be that after 35 years she might have struggled with some of the notes?
[/quote]

I think she always struggled with the notes but in her quirky style it never became the issue.
I can't for the life of me see her pulling this off after all these years...but, everyone seemed
to have loved it. So, she still has it as far as her fans go...fair enough.

I think the danger of memory v actuality is a potential issue. The Monty Python Arena show is a good example. The die-hard fans loved it, while new people, never having seen it before, compared it to other current comedy and couldn't understand it at all. Terrible acting, poor memories, and although following the original, more like a average tribute band, rather than the originals. Kate Bush's revues are a bit similar, but luckily she's still weird enough to interest new fans too, unlike Python.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1409206580' post='2537374']
I find it slightly puzzling that there are Kate bush fans complaining ( for want of a better word) that she is doing 9th wave complete at the possible expense of withering heights :/
[/quote]

People preferring some parts of an artist's output over others? Don't find it puzzling at all personally.

I wonder if she will change some songs over the various dates that she is performing.
Some of the 'fans', seem similar to Rolling Stones 'fans', who would be upset if 'satisfaction' wasn't played. Good luck to her .she should do what she wants .

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Here it's not only Satisfaction, it's also Jumpin Jack Flash, Sympathy for the Devil, Brown Sugar, etc.... just a bunch of songs which I find rather obscure but as you say : she has a right to play them but I can understand people who are disappointed, there is nothing wrong with a popular song

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember any of the original announcements saying anything along the lines of "Kate Bush has announced she is to play a series of concert dates in the UK later this year, [i]and will definitely be playing all of her earliest hits[/i]"..? As far as I am aware, buying a gig ticket doesn't give anyone the right to dictate the set list.

[size=2]Flameproof underwear is now in place.[/size]

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1409214509' post='2537468']
People preferring some parts of an artist's output over others? Don't find it puzzling at all personally.
[/quote]

puzzling yes predicatbale no

depends i guess if you prefer the short snappy soundbites or the long stuff innit

I have to say that I absolutely respect any artist who refuses to rely on their old hits. Any fan of Kate Bush knows that her approach to her art is based on a very personal concept of integrity and is not led by the idea of 'giving the people what they want'. Jazz artist who continually regurgitate their old hits are given pretty short shrift and playing the solos 'as on the record' woudl see them laughed out of a theatre. I believe you should expect what the artist is prepared to give. If you want the hits, play the cd.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1409216367' post='2537509']
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember any of the original announcements saying anything along the lines of "Kate Bush has announced she is to play a series of concert dates in the UK later this year, [i]and will definitely be playing all of her earliest hits[/i]"..? As far as I am aware, buying a gig ticket doesn't give anyone the right to dictate the set list.

[size=2]Flameproof underwear is now in place.[/size]
[/quote]

This, in spades. Sure, I can understand people being disappointed that she didn't play their particular favourite song, but you can't please absolutely everybody. I was a tad disappointed that John Fogerty didn't play [i]Bad Moon Rising[/i] when I saw him, but I wasn't going to march up to the box office and demand a refund! As it happens, I know at least one person who would have been deliriously happy to see Ms Bush perform [i]Ninth Wave [/i]in concert, even if it meant missing out a couple of early hits - as I say, you can't please everyone!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1409219380' post='2537563']
I have to say that I absolutely respect any artist who refuses to rely on their old hits. Any fan of Kate Bush knows that her approach to her art is based on a very personal concept of integrity and is not led by the idea of 'giving the people what they want'. Jazz artist who continually regurgitate their old hits are given pretty short shrift and playing the solos 'as on the record' woudl see them laughed out of a theatre. I believe you should expect what the artist is prepared to give. If you want the hits, play the cd.
[/quote]

hoorah :D