Why become a member? ×

Staccato help?

Funky Dunky

Hi guys, I've been trying to polish up my staccato playing but having trouble getting it to sound nice and clipped like the pros (think Bernard Edwards, or Rocco on 'What Is Hip?').

Any tips or good tutorials out there on this particular facet? It's important to me because I'm coming up on two years playing bass and this is something I want to be quite a big part of my style - a lot of the parts and lines I create would ideally have this sound and my mind can conceive cool lines but my fingers can't quite nail that lovely clipped sound yet.

How much responsibility falls on each hand when playing this way? Is it plucking hand or fretting hand which does most of the work in achieving that sound?

Any help here would be great. Thanks :-)

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1409139452' post='2536666']
Roccos muting comes mostly from the left hand. He frets, mostly, with his index and middle fingers, and mutes with his
ring and little.
[/quote]

Thanks, that's interesting to know. The 'What Is Hip?' bass line is beyond my level at the moment but it's something I aspire to. Heck of a workout. MarloweDK has a fab rendition of it on youtube, his hands are so relaxed as he plays it and I'm tensing way too much.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1409139979' post='2536675']
Thanks, that's interesting to know. The 'What Is Hip?' bass line is beyond my level at the moment but it's something I aspire to. Heck of a workout. MarloweDK has a fab rendition of it on youtube, his hands are so relaxed as he plays it and I'm tensing way too much.
[/quote]

Surprisingly, it's not actually that difficult. Speed is borne from precision and not the other way round as a lot of people would misconceive it to be. Work on it really slowly (you'll be surprised where the notes land on the fingers in regards to shifting octaves on the E) and make it groove. The rest is just down to endurance and it'll come a bit quicker than you'll expect. :)

Don't worry, I can't play What is Hip at the TOP tempo either.

But if I had to I'd play along with the number until I could do it.

I don't know anything about Gary Willis but in the first place I'd be looking at the players you want to emulate.

You'll stress your fretting hand on 'What is hip'. What happens is once you become comfortable with the technique of having your hand slightly rest on the frets, it becomes easier and easier. Believe me, I had to play this note perfect for an A level exam :lol:. Also, as you get better and better at it you start to do it without noticing and it becomes another technique in your 'muscle memory' or whatever they call it.

There are two ways to do it in a conventional style, ie not Gary Willis, who has a different technique.
First off, after just two years playing you have picked on a pretty advanced style and technique.
You can mute LH or RH but Scott Devine explains what you are trying to achieve well with
a LH mute.
Search Ghost notes bass on Google and Scott Devine will crop up quickly but basically keep the RH notes consistant... Play straight 8's/quavers
off the RH and fret and mute with the left. That will break up the pattern you are playing to give you enough
of an idea to develop what you want. A mute of the LH is a simple release of the fretting finger to get a dull thud
in comparison to the sound of playing the actual note.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1409252823' post='2538052']
There are two ways to do it in a conventional style, ie not Gary Willis, who has a different technique.
First off, after just two years playing you have picked on a pretty advanced style and technique.
You can mute LH or RH but Scott Devine explains what you are trying to achieve well with
a LH mute.
Search Ghost notes bass on Google and Scott Devine will crop up quickly but basically keep the RH notes consistant... Play straight 8's/quavers
off the RH and fret and mute with the left. That will break up the pattern you are playing to give you enough
of an idea to develop what you want. A mute of the LH is a simple release of the fretting finger to get a dull thud
in comparison to the sound of playing the actual note.
[/quote]

fantastic, thank you for this! Will give this a shot and report back my findings after some experimentation.

[quote name='YouMa' timestamp='1409253365' post='2538058']
a light touch with your fretting hand and foam tucked under near the bridge,does anyone ever wonder if bernard edwards used the mutes on his stingray early on?
[/quote]

I had thought about foam mutes, but it felt like cheating a wee bit. Worth a try though.

Is that Jason King in your pic??