Why become a member? ×

I was wrong

budget bassist

Many a time, I scoffed at the attempts of companies to make lighter, more portable amps and cabs! How silly, just man up and carry it surely?!
Following a recent speight of back problems, I have now concluded that I was wrong! Moving just a small cab around today put me in a decent amount of pain.
So, here's that dreaded question:
What is there in the way of budget lightweight cabs?
Cheers all!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1409146132' post='2536801']
At risk of being accused of fanboi-ism and cheerleading, Barefaced cabs are very light and very loud.
Not budget at their new prices for sure, but they do appear second hand from time to time.
[/quote]

Pipe down with the cheerleading fanboi.....

If you're looking for Ashdown tone go for a couple of Mi10 cabs, around 10kg and 250W each. If you want a light 2x10 maybe a Genz Benz Focus if you can find one or something from the GK MB range or Hartke Hydrive. The Fender rumbles 112 (former series) were also very light and sounded good.

If i remember correctly Evil Unded is/was selling a Promethean amp with a Rumble 112 cab, great little setup, light and loud and a great sound.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1409150121' post='2536854']
If you're looking for Ashdown tone go for a couple of Mi10 cabs, around 10kg and 250W each. If you want a light 2x10 maybe a Genz Benz Focus if you can find one or something from the GK MB range or Hartke Hydrive. The Fender rumbles 112 (former series) were also very light and sounded good.

If i remember correctly Evil Unded is/was selling a Promethean amp with a Rumble 112 cab, great little setup, light and loud and a great sound.
[/quote]
I was actually wondering if anybody had tried those Ashdown ones, I really like the brand, and they're pretty light to boot.

I've got the Hydrive 410 and it's not what I would call 'lightweight'.

I can see how two of the 12" Hydrive cabs would work though; bright but ballsy, punchy and light.

If you join the 'UK Bass Gear North West for Trade & Sale" on Facebook there's a Bergantino AE112 1x12" on there at the moment.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1409151756' post='2536872']
I've got the Hydrive 410 and it's not what I would call 'lightweight'.

I can see how two of the 12" Hydrive cabs would work though; bright but ballsy, punchy and light.

If you join the 'UK Bass Gear North West for Trade & Sale" on Facebook there's a Bergantino AE112 1x12" on there at the moment.
[/quote]
I joined the other day, those bergantino cabs are a little (well, a lot) out of budget though unfortunately!

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='budget bassist' timestamp='1409152443' post='2536880']
I was actually thinking about that, I'll check out the thread.
[/quote] I'm a Barefaced user and very happy, but they aren't budget. I'm in the US and the fEARful build your own options are popular. A 210 is a bad reference point because the magnet to cone area ratio ends up tipping the scales unfavorably compared to a 12" cab. I'd say the super 12 cabs are more spendy, but they often have higher sensitivity to input, so you get more bang for the buck. If you can find 2 112 cabs I think you get a good blend of output and modularity. If you can find (and like the tone of) the Markbass 604, I think that cab is pretty easy to move, not terribly heavy, and fairly loud for the size. In fact, I've found (dealing with my own injury issues) that cabs that are heavy aren't as bad as cabs that are awkwardly shaped.

[quote name='budget bassist' timestamp='1409145722' post='2536795']
It's an ashdown MAG 210, so about 30kg? They're not light.
You reckon a 110 will be too bright?
A trolley could be a good shout, but lifting into the car etc. would probably be the main issue.
[/quote]

A 112 would be an easy lift in to the car and 2 of them would cover any gig, and IMO would sound better than a 110 or 210.

What's your budget?

A Barefaced Compact is 26lbs and sounds pretty good as a 1 cab solution and there are several Bergantino AE112 cabs in the classifieds.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1409155604' post='2536922']
A 112 would be an easy lift in to the car and 2 of them would cover any gig, and IMO would sound better than a 110 or 210.

What's your budget?

A Barefaced Compact is 26lbs and sounds pretty good as a 1 cab solution and there are several Bergantino AE112 cabs in the classifieds.
[/quote]
No more than about £200 probably.

As far as I have been able to work out 'budget' and 'lightweight' are not two words that go together - at least, not with 'worth using' added into the equation. The quality of the materials, engineering and construction have to be top notch in order for them to be lightweight.

Using a trolley isn't a viable option if you have issues with your back (depending upon the actual problem, of course). At some point whatever cab you have is going to have to be lifted into and out of your car and, inevitably, with no help available at some point. So it has to be lightweight.

I am another Barefaced Cab user - Compact and Midget. I couldn't be happier with them.

I've just seen your latest post - £200 won't get you anything lightweight worth using.

[quote name='budget bassist' timestamp='1409145722' post='2536795']
It's an ashdown MAG 210, so about 30kg? They're not light.
[/quote]

I've recently done a similar thing (downsizing the stack) but the thing I downsized to was one of these, it's the lightest bass cab I've ever lifted - perspective is everything I guess.

I'd echo what others have said though; maybe buy a used 1*12 now then you can always get another one down the line for if you're doing bigger gigs (though if they're that big you could just use the monitors).

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1409152367' post='2536878']
Have you considered building one? There's quite a detailed thread about building your own.
[/quote]
+1 although it's rarely as cheap as you might think. A good design, quality drivers and decent wood should top your priority list. Save your money elsewhere with a paint finish etc.

Guest monsterthompson

talkbass favorites are [url="http://greenboy.us/fEARful/"]http://greenboy.us/fEARful/[/url] and [url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/"]http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/[/url] for DIY cab plans.

As has been said, cheap and light don`t generally go together. A couple of 112s would be a good solution, it`s just finding reasonably priced, but connected to a good amp two 112s I find plenty enough for the music I play and the size of the venues/stages. Enough for regular sized pubs without going through the PA, plenty enough on big stages when going through FOH. And my band is not quiet.