Why become a member? ×

New drivers for poorly cabs...

hogman

I am currently having a veritable nightmare with my nemesis 2x10 and 1x15 cabs, there humble speakers dying, granted they have had a hard life. Got manufacturers replacement speakers that were both replaced by myself I am more than qualified to do this, I ran them in at low volume for 72 hours as I do with all my drivers. They have had very little hard use (compared to what they used to get I was gigging between 3 and 5 nights a week and out 4 - 5 a month now) and suffered no real abuse, I use an Ampeg SVT 3 and have since I bought the cabs. The speakers looked the same but are obviously not. Could you suggest a better quality speaker for the cabs (Eden Nemesis). To say I am disappointed is an understatement. The cabs have served me well for over about years ( being fed a diet from punk rock to Jazz and experimental playing) and I have replaced the 10's but not the 15 and was hoping to get a lot more out of them than 7 Months.

Not to bothered about price n drivers is what I am after the cabs are a great size. The horns are a bit shouty. Any help would be ace!

I replaced the stock speakers in a Nemesis 410 with Eminence cones. Think they were the Betas. Nice tones and matched my Ampeg PF500 better than the stcok speakers to my ears - Ampeg use Eminence speakers in their cabs.

I didn`t go through the science stuff to see if they fitted due to measurements/areas/displadcements or anything, I just trusted my ears. If they`d not worked I would have sent them back.

That said, the proper way is to do the science, as you can luck out like I did, or mess up badly - and it`s quite costly.

I have a similar problem. I just bought a used Ashdown ABM 610 with one blown 'Blueline". I have found no replacements except Eminence Beta , Eminence Delta, or some newish BL 10-200X Celestion. I am leaning toward this 200w Celestion. The Ashdown speaker says "made in England 150 watts".This cabinet is sealed. Opinions or advice wanted...

[quote name='hogman' timestamp='1409162923' post='2537020']
I am currently having a veritable nightmare with my nemesis 2x10 and 1x15 cabs, there humble speakers dying, granted they have had a hard life. Got manufacturers replacement speakers that were both replaced by myself I am more than qualified to do this, I ran them in at low volume for 72 hours as I do with all my drivers. They have had very little hard use (compared to what they used to get I was gigging between 3 and 5 nights a week and out 4 - 5 a month now) and suffered no real abuse, I use an Ampeg SVT 3 and have since I bought the cabs. The speakers looked the same but are obviously not. Could you suggest a better quality speaker for the cabs (Eden Nemesis). To say I am disappointed is an understatement. The cabs have served me well for over about years ( being fed a diet from punk rock to Jazz and experimental playing) and I have replaced the 10's but not the 15 and was hoping to get a lot more out of them than 7 Months.

Not to bothered about price n drivers is what I am after the cabs are a great size. The horns are a bit shouty. Any help would be ace!
[/quote]

You need to give us some help here, We need to know the internal volume of the cab or the internal measurements, if you know the thickness of the walls you can work it out from the external measurements or you can remove the speaker to get inside. We also need to know the size no and length of any ports.

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1409178484' post='2537293']
I have a similar problem. I just bought a used Ashdown ABM 610 with one blown 'Blueline". I have found no replacements except Eminence Beta , Eminence Delta, or some newish BL 10-200X Celestion. I am leaning toward this 200w Celestion. The Ashdown speaker says "made in England 150 watts".This cabinet is sealed. Opinions or advice wanted...
[/quote]

Sealed cabs are much simpler and you are less likely to have a caastrophic result but mixing drivers in a cab isn't really going to be the best way of going ahead, internally they share the same air and externally they will 'share' the sound radiated and will probably make the cab sound a little blander or less characterful, although one speaker in six isn't going to make much difference.

Edited by Phil Starr