Why become a member? ×

5/6 String bass suggestions

Jimryan

Evening all,

As you're aware I recently posted a bass regarding Candy Apple Red basses. The thought behind this was that I've found a precision I'm quite fond of and I'm considering getting it for the next leg of my tour. It's nothing fancy, it's a Squier VM Precision 5 and because of it's low price I'd do a bit of modding to it too.

Then I got thinking and thought I'd see what else is available. Basically, I'm after some suggestions of what to try, consider and buy. The main criteria is weight, I'm going to be doing long sets 6 nights a week and want it to be as close (weight-wise) to my 4 string precision (which to date, is the lightest bass I've played). Now I know I won't get a 5 with the weight of a light 4, but you know what I mean.

So, what I'm ideally after is:

Very lightweight (basswood?),
No short-scale,
Passive preferred,
Minimum 5 strings, but would prefer a 6+,
Ideally Looking to spend no more than £500 (which would include any upgrades/mods),
Preferably solid finish,
Used isn't an issue.

So far I've seen the squier vm precision, or a Cort Curbow 6 (if I can find one again) but looking for advice on things like ibanez, Yamaha, anything really, but weight is the biggest factor.

As always, pics are always welcome with suggestions,

Answers on a postcard.

Edited by Jimryan

Most cheaper six strings I've played in fact all so far have been a bit poop. I'd concentrate on the five, Ibanez SR series are great basses and very light in fact lighter than most p basses I've played, the Ibanez basses I've played have been in the five hundred quid bracket but felt as good as basses for a grand to me.

Aria Pro 2

I had one of these for about 3 years as a spare 6er and for outdoor gigs. Can't praise them enough. Really cheap, 34" scale, reliable passive electronics and a really lovely easy to play neck and, they sound lovely. Very light too, about the same weight as my 4 string jazz. Ended up using it most of the time due to the weight compared to my Spector 6.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141368544924?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here's one on Ebay at the mo.

I'd probably get two of these https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_bz_6000_nt.htm?ref=mm_a_18
Although it's not a solid colour and I have no idea what it weighs but damn that's a lot of bass for the money.

Edited by mrtcat

I do actually have the candy Apple red Squier VM Precision V, and I also need a lighter bass due to a bad back.
Mine weighed 9.8lbs when I bought it and I did actually consider returning it because of that. But, after playing it I decided it was a keeper as it really is a cracking bass for the money and the candy apple red is gorgeous. I was expecting it just to be metallic red to be honest but it does kind of change colour in the light and has a copper-like hue to it too. It's really nice to look at.
Another deciding factor is the neck. It has a great profile that is really comfortable and reminds me of my old AVRI '62 P neck profile in a way.
I have modded it with lightweight licenced by Hipshot tuners, an American Standard P5 pup, a KiOgan wiring harness, a pro set up (dropped the nut slots a tad plus a fretdress) and a set of DR nickel Lo Riders (which take this bass to another level as the B string is stonking now! Fantastic string to string balance).
I have also drilled out the body under the pickguard to reduce some weight and after weighing it properly now, it weighs 8lb 10oz which I can hopefully live with.

I love this bass, it plays and sounds amazing and is a total keeper.

My perfect bass all in cost me £420 which some may see as a lot for a Squier but I don't care, plus I'm not too precious about where I take it and I'm happy to gig it anywhere :)

I suggested the Luna Paz above as it's very lightweight to begin with and had I known about it first I may well have taken a punt on that one instead as it costs about the same as my Squier has with all the mods.

No regrets though.

Edited by miles'tone

I'd say Roscoe but that's pushing your price limit (by which I mean it's over £500 unless you find a great second hand deal!)

Other than that I'd say in terms of the 6er world I'd vote for an Ibanez SR if you can get on with the tighter spacing (seems a tad marmite, some 4+ stringers seem to love smaller spacing, some love it wider. Decent prices, tend to hold value reasonably, decent mod options and light thanks to the smaller bodies!

I'm considering getting a 5 string myself - having always played 4 strings
I never really got on with 5 ers before, but now, I'm getting GAS for one

I usually find the strings are a bit close together at the bridge end,
for me to really get my fingers in between, and really dig in there....
I've played a couple, but so far the Squier 5 string P bass has been the best,
in terms of neck width & string spacing...

Also, the latest Squiers seem good value for money, IMHO
Haven't yet played a 6 string - don't think I could cope with that lol

I'd be interested to hear what you go for, and how good the Squier 6 strings are

(And any more info / thoughts on the 5 String P's & J's would be good too)

Let us know what you discover

Marc

Cheers for all the responses guys, they've all been very helpful, well, not all, the Harley Benton suggestion has got me very curious. After a quick look I've noticed heave got a dirt cheap 7 string and I've been after a seven for ages. I'm tempted to get one anyway and see what it's like.

Anyhow, I've spent most of last night and this evening looking at suggestions and I know the SR basses are great and get praise everywhere, but they really don't do it for me. The yammys on the other hand, I'm curious to try one. There's none in any shops around my way, but I like the look of them, especially the RBX5-A2. One thing I did find last night on here, was a John Myung Yammy deep in the sale section and I'm intrigued by that one. As for the Squier Bass 6, I like them, great fun to play, but I reckon I wouldn't enjoy it for the whole tour.

I've narrowed it down to either the Squier VM P (with mods) or a Yamaha (if I can find one to try). Or, I take the plunge on a Harley Benton and see what they're like, I've never played, heard or even seen one, but I reckon I might be pleasantly surprised with either the 7 string one, or one of the 6 string Yammy copies.

Any comments on the Harley Benton gear would be greatly appreciated, as would any more suggestions.

Cheers.

The Ibanez SR and SRA series basses are great value-for-money. I gig with an SRA305. I have put EMG actives in it because I prefer nylon tapewound strings, and that caused a grounding issue with the stock wiring. But the stock wiring is excellent. Are you sure you don't want to go active? New preamps have very little current draw on a battery. The GIO series has taken the place of the SRA series. It has passive pickups, but also has Ibanez' version of the EMG EXB, the variable scoop control, which I have found most useful in gigging for general tone modification, vintage-to-modern, straight-ahead-to-slap-contour, etc.
[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eb_page14.php?year=2014&cat_id=2&series_id=55&data_id=290&color=CL02"]http://www.ibanez.co...=290&color=CL02[/url]

If you don't want the scoop control, you can always unsolder it from the circuit and have a completely passive bass.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1409253375' post='2538059']Or, I take the plunge on a Harley Benton and see what they're like, I've never played, heard or even seen one, but I reckon I might be pleasantly surprised with either the 7 string one, or one of the 6 string Yammy copies. Any comments on the Harley Benton gear would be greatly appreciated, as would any more suggestions. Cheers. [/quote]

As an owner of the 7 string one, I would say to go for it. There is a six string version of the BZ, the BZ6000 as well. I haven't played the progressive model but own a Shine which is the same bass as the previous 'progressive' Harley Benton sixer. My BZ is definitely better. I've compared the sound I get from my BZ to sounds for similar basses on ebay. The Ibanez BTB7 sounds better than mine (from what I've heard online), but the SR506 and the ESP206BM sounded worse. Youtube sound comparison is an imperfect science, to say the least.

Remember that you can return it if you don't like it. If you are more fussy than me, you may want to cost in new strings and a setup.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Re the above posts, I can honestly say,
I had an Ibanez SR 500 - which is a 4 string
What a quality instrument that was, great build, great sound - massive value for money
The only thing I outgrew with it, was that I like a slightly wider neck

There are often a few 505's knocking around, second-hand
and I've no reason to believe they would be anything other than great instruments
.... and those Bartolini electrics & pickups sound amazing!

Just picked up a Squier Candy Apple Red V bass
It is heavy. But from my point of view, the lovely wide neck does allow me to
really get my fingers in between the strings (a problem I've found with 5 string basses)

Of course, I still can't get my head around 5 strings yet
... but i got it to at least have a dabble
.... and it was mint, and cheap!

Let us know how you get on

Edited by Marc S

I'm with AT regards the Harley Benton BZ. Currently the 5 string is £208 and £223 for the 6.

I got the 4 string same day AT got the 7. Cracking bass,compared it to my Cirrus,Millennium, a Traben Neo and 2 Vintage basses V1004 and V1005.
It held it's own no problem.

Can't fault you for hoping on a Curbow as I wouldn't part with mines.

SGC Nanyo Bass Collection. Very very light, nice to play.

[url="http://m.gumtree.com/p/other-guitar-accessories/sgc-nanyo-bass-collection-5-string-bass-guitar/1079552496"]http://m.gumtree.com/p/other-guitar-accessories/sgc-nanyo-bass-collection-5-string-bass-guitar/1079552496[/url] - absolute bargain