Why become a member? ×

Stingray Classic eq

yanto

Hi
I bought the bass I've always wanted and had my first band practice last night, with a gig coming on Friday.Very pleased with the defined sound of the notes which sounded to me very centred. With no centre detent on the bass/treble knobs I was finding it tricky to dial my sounds in consistently. I switch between fingers and plectrum and tend to wind the treble back when playing with the plectrum or it gets very cutting. How do other 2 eq SR users dial their sounds, as I believe the eq is a Baxandall? circuit so treble affects bass and vice versa? Just interested.
I use a Streamliner 600 with an Eden Nemesis 4 x 10 btw
Cheers
Iain

Well I pulled my Classic EQ out as I think it might be faulty, I have a john east now which is just like the pre eb 2 band and that is the same essentially as all 2 eq Rays, this is my 3rd 2 band ray now. It is definitely harder to get a 2 band in the live mix but I'd say better than a 3 when you get it right. I start off with bass at just over half or maybe 3/4 with a big enough amp to take it, then I use the treble as a tone pot, reggae-off, fingers-half, pick or fingers country/blues- 1/4 etc. If you are still having trouble cut the bass a bit rather than boosting the treble, over time you will find that you know where the treble should be for your desired sound and amp setup, after that you will get a feel for where the bass can be set to each venue. If I know a venue is crap for live sound I take my ceramic equipped 3 band Ray and put it in series or single coil mode! :D

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1409169636' post='2537131']
Have you considered using some kind of EQ stomp box that you could switch in when you need to cut treble?
[/quote]
The problem is as yanto says the bass and treble are interactive so sometimes its not a matter of cutting the treble but boosting bass, or cutting bass to add treble etc.

between songs I centre my treb and bass knobs by turning them full rotation then back a set distance (it's a muscle memory thing now) and plus/minus a touch of either as needed. I tend to go centre most of the time, and I play with pick and fingers. It's an amazing sounding preamp.

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1409171088' post='2537155']
between songs I centre my treb and bass knobs by turning them full rotation then back a set distance (it's a muscle memory thing now) and plus/minus a touch of either as needed. I tend to go centre most of the time, and I play with pick and fingers. It's an amazing sounding preamp.
[/quote]
Thats it, on a 3 band I can have the bass much higher but the 2 is a bit of an animal isnt it?! I need to get my stock 2 band tested but I dont know where to take it, anyone know? Im not selling but it needs to stay with the classic5 to keep its value. I have played others that all had more oomph, its possibly why it got moved on at first before I swapped it.

I also start off with them both on full and rotate them back about a quarter of a turn each (treble and bass). If I play a song where I need more mid range I just turn the knobs down a little more - this accentuates the mids. If I need more bass or treble I adjust accordingly. However I have Thomastik flats on the bass (it is a Classic SR4) no one believes me until they feel the strings - it still has a nice slap sound and great harmonics!!

A guy has posted lots of EQ curves recently on the EBMM bass forum which are quite interesting. The bass and treble have different centre detent positions on the 2 band, which demonstrates a different curve from the 3 band.

The 3 band Musicman SR4 EQ has filters which suppress the boomy frequencies below 80 hz. The 2 band doesn't.

If you think the SR4 2 band has a powerful EQ you should try the SR5 with ceramic!! Borne out by the EQ curve also.

A lot of people (including myself) tend to have the bass up full, then use the treble (middle) knob like a tone control.

Kind of depends on how the knobs are placed, but I have it so that the treble knob's screw hole is pointing up at me when in the halfway position. I usually have it set like this when I (rarely) use a pick, but have the treble set just a fraction shy of full-on when playing fingerstyle.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1409232107' post='2537786']
dr TStingray - re EQ curves on the EBMM forum, could you post a link? I've had a look but can't find them. Thanks
[/quote]

Post 45 has a link in it

http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-basses/59097-musicman-bass-suggested-settings-thread.html

[quote name='yanto' timestamp='1409239879' post='2537882']
[attachment=170399:stingray 002.jpg]

There ya go. The black is a bugger to keep clean though. As new and came from the Bass Gallery a few months ago. Paid £900 which I thought was pretty reasonable
[/quote]

Oo that's v nice. I've stopped bothering to keep mine clean - occasional polishes with Dunlop Polish is all I do - the blueburst ones get especially messy in the darker areas. And dusty round the pick ups and bridge.

I never really understood my 2EQ, and couldn't find a definite answer as to whether the EQ was boost or cut or boost and cut. I used the bass about half way on and a tiny touch of treble. It was a great sounding bass though.

[quote name='yanto' timestamp='1409169223' post='2537123']
Hi
I bought the bass I've always wanted and had my first band practice last night, with a gig coming on Friday.Very pleased with the defined sound of the notes which sounded to me very centred. With no centre detent on the bass/treble knobs I was finding it tricky to dial my sounds in consistently. I switch between fingers and plectrum and tend to wind the treble back when playing with the plectrum or it gets very cutting. How do other 2 eq SR users dial their sounds, as I believe the eq is a Baxandall? circuit so treble affects bass and vice versa? Just interested.
I use a Streamliner 600 with an Eden Nemesis 4 x 10 btw
Cheers
Iain
[/quote]

I use the "fully anticlockwise" as a reference, then turn to where I want it. I have developed a sense for how much I have to turn it, from fully anticlockwise, to get to the ballpark of the sound I'm after normally.