Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB5000

steviedee

Always liked the look of old Yamaha basses and saw a BB5000 for sale locally. It needs a bit of TLC and someone has inexplicably sanded off some of the finish. But I have to say I absolutely love this bass! It sounds fantastic, really huge. The weight is perfect for me, very lightweight. Not much online about them but any info would be appreciated!

These were the first 5 strings to be widely endorsed. I can remember all sorts of bassists playing them in the mid 80's as an alternative to Steinbergers. How is the string spacing? It always looked a bit narrow. But its an instrument I've always had respect for. Huge warmth and growl.

[URL=http://s3.photobucket.com/user/mylkinut/media/DSCN5781_zpsb0216c14.jpg.html][IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/mylkinut/DSCN5781_zpsb0216c14.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Here's mine, made in 1987. Great bass, though even after 5 years of ownership I'm still 50/50 on the string spacing!

[quote name='steviedee' timestamp='1409256337' post='2538099']
Looks very nice that!

I'm in two minds about a refin, the sanding annoys me. But refinishing the bass significantly adds to the cost.
[/quote]

Would it have to be a total refin? It looks like mine has yellowed significantly over the years, I wonder how difficult it would be to colour-match.

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1409300450' post='2538379']

Would it have to be a total refin? It looks like mine has yellowed significantly over the years, I wonder how difficult it would be to colour-match.
[/quote]

I can imagine a partial refin could be a pain and the rest of the bass is in quite good nick which makes it more annoying. I'm seeing a guy today who has been recommended. See what he recommends.

Edited by steviedee

We'll visited the luthier and an excellent bloke he was. He thinks he can match the colour which is great news. But a quick question the bass currently has a blend control where the pick up switch used to be but I'm thinking of going back to the original configuration any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw some pics on the luthiers facebook page and I am completely over the moon! What a job this guy has done not a full refin just matched the colour and smoothed it out. Doing the set up Monday. I can't wait to be honest. I can really recommend this guy, if you are in the Glasgow/West area .... brilliant.
[attachment=172555:refin02.jpg]
[attachment=172557:refin01.jpg]

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the bass back from the luthier, what can I say he has done an incredible job the bass looks incredible the partial refin is fantastic. He restored the original electrics (got rid of the blend pot) and sourced some original speed dials. I'm over it. Sounds immense.

Gassing for a four string now!
[attachment=173116:photo 2.JPG]

Edited by steviedee