Why become a member? ×

Spare Amp? Risk assessment!

tonyclaret

Hi,

Just curious to see what people's thoughts are on carrying a spare amp in case your beloved sound monster dies at a gig.

I have never yet (touches head) had an amp die on me in 25 years of playing.

Perhaps I have been lucky?

However, probably my age! I have become increasingly paranoid about been stuck up the creek without a paddle, so have invested in a small wattage backup amp. Nothing fancy just something to get me out of the sh*t if needed.

Discuss.... :-)

I've had a backup amp save the day three times in the last three or four years. Once was when the valve amp I was using at the time developed a minor fault, one was when a house amp proved to be dead and once when another bassist's head went into protection mode. Although with a half decent PA a DI box may be sufficient backup.

I`ve just bought a TC RH450 for this very reason. Never had an amp go on me, but now, if my combo dies, and we`re playing a venue without FOH I`ll just bring out the RH, connect it up to the ext cab and still get through the gig. If there is a big FOH, well I`ll already be going through that via my Tech21 VT DI so I`ll just ask the soundman for bass in the monitors. Hopefully have most areas covered now with my gear.

I never leave home with one. I look after my kit, and have only had an amp break when a guitarist dropped it from the back of his Land Rover when we were packing up.

These days I carry my own kit. A little DI/Pre often makes its way into my gig bag though...

One of my old Hartke heads failed on me once.I always carry a DI box so I just had more of me put through my monitor.
I've not had a problem with any of my Ashdown stuff. The PiBass is small enough for me to put in the pocket of my
gig bag if I felt the need to carry a spare though.