Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MiBass 2.0

Phil Starr

I've got a little MiBass 2.0 and from what I can tell it's a pretty transparent sound, quite hifi sounding[i],[/i] but you can dial in grit if you want.
There's amps out there with more powerful EQ etc, but it ticks all the boxes I need and from what you say, it'll do the same for you.
I haven't tried mine live I'm afraid, but I think it'll keep up assuming you use a 4 ohm load to get the full juice out of it.
From all the Class D's out there, not many come with a 5 year warranty and very response customer service, I'd go for it if I was you mate :)

Eude

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1409223551' post='2537638']
Thanks, I think from an earlier trawl that Doddy has the earlier MiBass with the semi parametric eq, since I use very little eq this shouldn't be a downer for my use.
[/quote]

Yup, the older models had a similar parametric EQ to the ABM range, the 2.0 has a nice simple Gain/Bass/Mid/Treble/Volume setup, much nicer :)

Yep..I use the older 550 model which has the semi parametric eq. I've maybe used the eq twice to notch out certain
frequencies in an echoy room, otherwise I have it bypassed.
Is the sound uncoloured? Honestly, I don't think any amp is-they've all got their own flavour. What I will say, is I can get
the sound that I want from the MiBass. It's really clear through the whole range and can go from a modern hifi sound to
really heavy low end or whatever you're after. I've had no problem running the Upright or the synth through it either, not
to mention a heavily effected electric bass, and it's always sounded great-if it didn't, it wouldn't have replaced my Genz
Benz.

A couple of questions Phil.

Are you replacing the Hartke? Also can you do a comparison of the two amps. The MiBass amps use an Anaview power amp output stage and despite the marketing BS it is good for 200W into 8 ohms and 350 into 4 ohms at 1% THD + noise. The Ashdown figures are at 10% THD + Noise. I suspect the Hartke also uses 10% for its power figures like many other manufacturers but it would be good to hear you views. Especially with the 1x12 DIY build cab.

Edited by Chienmortbb

What I'll end up gigging with is up to how it sounds, I always advise people to listen before they buy and not rely on well meaning advice and then what do I do? :)

I'm just fed up with the weight of the Hartke 3500 and given that I rarely touch the amp during gigs the eq ,versatile though it is, won't be missed. 350W through my current speakers is total overkill and my drummer complained of not being able to hear his own snare so I guess that's loud enough. I contemplated using a PA amp and Sansamp but at just over £200 from Andertons this looked cheap enough to take a punt on, I have a bit of a soft spot for Ashdown because their after sales is so good. I'll let people know here how I get on with the amp.

Thanks Phil, I am building my own amp and was considering using the same power stage as the MiBass. I might turn it into a build diary but as the preamp was a collaboration with Charlie Escher (passinwind on TB) in the States I need his permission first.

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1409223401' post='2537634']
I've got a little MiBass 2.0 and from what I can tell it's a pretty transparent sound, quite hifi sounding[i],[/i] but you can dial in grit if you want.
There's amps out there with more powerful EQ etc, but it ticks all the boxes I need and from what you say, it'll do the same for you.
I haven't tried mine live I'm afraid, but I think it'll keep up assuming you use a 4 ohm load to get the full juice out of it.
From all the Class D's out there, not many come with a 5 year warranty and very response customer service, I'd go for it if I was you mate :)

Eude
[/quote]

Hi Eude -- Your sig says you use 2 10inch MiBass cabs, but on the Ashdown website they are listed as 4ohm each! are they really 8ohm?

Thanks

Brendan

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1409785421' post='2543451']
Hi Eude -- Your sig says you use 2 10inch MiBass cabs, but on the Ashdown website they are listed as 4ohm each! are they really 8ohm?

Thanks

Brendan
[/quote]

Originally the Mi10s were 4 Ohm, but I don't think they sold that many of them in that guise, most people looking for a light modular setup would've liked two 8 Ohm versions, so I guess they listened customer suggestions, including my own, and changed the spec.
I think they only make 8 Ohm ones now, there may be some 4 Ohm ones still in shops, but they're not making them anymore.

Eude

Andertons have the 8 ohm ones in stock (I know this coz I just bought one for home!)
GAK claim to have the 4 ohm one....

I have to say i'm very impressed with it for such a cheap little cab. It's not in the same league as my Barefaced Super Compacts but is great for home and will be good for little rehearsals and gigs too :)

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1409832904' post='2543737']
As per another thread i did the other day i am now seriously considering these Mi cabs for my new rig.
I will be powering them with a hartke lh500 but not sure whether to go for 2 x 112 cabs or mix it up with a 110 and a 112
[/quote]

The Mi12s will give you a fair bit more oomph, but will take up more space and be more of a pain to move. They're not exactly huge and they're not that heavy, but they're not the smallest 1x12s out there.
The Mi10s punch well above their weight, but if you need a lot of stage volume, I'd probably go for 12s.
Your idea of one of each might be the best compromise however.
I've not been much help have I... :)

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1409833736' post='2543759']
The Mi12s will give you a fair bit more oomph, but will take up more space and be more of a pain to move. They're not exactly huge and they're not that heavy, but they're not the smallest 1x12s out there.
The Mi10s punch well above their weight, but if you need a lot of stage volume, I'd probably go for 12s.
Your idea of one of each might be the best compromise however.
I've not been much help have I... :)

Eude
[/quote]

No that's great. Anything is better then carrying around and storing my 410 at the moment. I will try and find a shop that has them in stock where I can try both the 10 and the 12 out.
Thanks

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1409819285' post='2543565']
Originally the Mi10s were 4 Ohm, but I don't think they sold that many of them in that guise, most people looking for a light modular setup would've liked two 8 Ohm versions, so I guess they listened customer suggestions, including my own, and changed the spec.
I think they only make 8 Ohm ones now, there may be some 4 Ohm ones still in shops, but they're not making them anymore.

Eude
[/quote]

Thanks Eude

I have ordered a MiBass 1x10 rig from Andertons (the warranty and
Ashdown customer service helped swing it!).

I plan to see how I get on with the 1x10 & add either another 10 or a 12 later. So Bonzodog or anyone else if you try the 12 & 10 together can you report.

Thanks all

B

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1409840092' post='2543836']
Thanks Eude

I have ordered a MiBass 1x10 rig from Andertons (the warranty and
Ashdown customer service helped swing it!).

I plan to see how I get on with the 1x10 & add either another 10 or a 12 later. So Bonzodog or anyone else if you try the 12 & 10 together can you report.

Thanks all

B
[/quote]

Nice one mate, great news :)
Probably not much help, but you can see that setup in this video >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLDE84DpNAY

Eude

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1410174148' post='2546726']
So the questions are:

1. Are you getting a replacement or just giving up on the MiBass?

On a more technical note,

2. Why fit fan when the power amp is designed to be used without one?

3. Is the fan on all the time or or temperature controlled?
[/quote]

1. Giving up on it I don't think that one had a fault TADTS ("the sales guy said have you had someone else listern"!!) It's me who is using the thing see 3.

2. Welcome to my problem, no one seems to make a small 100 to 300w amp without these fans

3. Yes the fan is on all the time -- When I play an harmonic then damp I want silence!! I got my first Bass amp in 1976 (Carlsbro Cobra) and have only found this can't get an amp without a fan sucking air all the time thing in the last few years! Progress!!!! :rolleyes:

B

Edited by Sonic_Groove