Why become a member? ×

ernie ball volume pedals

GazWills

hey - just a quick question on these, I see there is a 6180 (passive) and a 6181 (active) pedal... I use a stingray and a precision, so surely I don't need two different volume pedals?? which will work best for both basses, as the info on the website says one is for passive instruments, one is for actives!!

cheers

I'm a happy 6180 user for all my gear as well, I'm not sure I understand why active instruments need a different impedance but perhaps a clever person can help me out here. Is it just like having a switchable pad on the input of your amp?

According to the specs (links below) the passive version includes "a micro taper switch which provides the user two distinct volume swell rates", which isn't mentioned for the active equivalent. So there's a bonus.

http://www.ernieball.com/products/pedals/1661/vp-jr-250k-for-passive-electronics
http://www.ernieball.com/products/pedals/2044/vp-jr-25k-for-active-electronics

I have both, and active and passive basses. I a/b'ed both pedals with both basses and couldn't tell a difference.

The "passive" one has the switch on the inside as toneknob says, which changes the sweep response, which I found very useful, so I would recommend that one instead of the "active".

Edited by Lebowsky