Why become a member? ×

New to bass - good cheap cab for GK MB200?

cephalopodix

I'm completely new to bass and I'm looking for an amp mostly for home practice but also for jamming and rehearsing. I've looked at a lot of cheaper combos but I much prefer the sound of the GK MB200. Got a few questions.

Out of the GK cabs, is the Neo that much better than the MB? Should I get a 112 or a 115? And is there anything cheaper than the MB that's worth looking at? I don't have a whole load of money, but I don't just want to get an average practice amp.

Thanks.

First off wlecome to the forum. From what I`ve read the MB cabs lack the internal bracing of the Neos, meaning they can be less "tight" and focused. That doesn`t mean they don`t sound good though, am yet to read any reviews where MB owners didn`t like the sound. I`d try them out if you can at a music shop, the 112 or 115 again would come down to preference in the sound. A 115 with the MB200 may have just a bit moe grunt for jamming/rehearsing than the 112. Brand-wise if you like the sound of the GK so much getting one of their cabs would make sense.

Thanks for the detailed information :) I'd definitely go with the Neo 115 over the MB based on what you said, which is a slight issue as it's a bit out of my price range. Someone on another forum recommended an Ampeg SVT 210AV, which would be much cheaper. Do you reckon that would work well?

Great little cabs the SVT 210AV, but not much low-end to them, and not sure if one would be enough for jamming. Two probably would but again you would be unlikely to get real lows from them. I`ve had one of these by the way, and loved it, but did pair it with an Ampeg 410 - the 210 added some nice grit into the sound.