Why become a member? ×

Just how do you get a slap tone like this?

Gunsfreddy2003

I was listening to this track on the way to work this morning and just wondered how on earth you get such a great slap tone? I am increasingly finding that when I slap live, all of the bottom end drops out of my tone and our sound feels really compromised. It's got so bad for me that now I play slap lines with finger style to avoid this frustration!

Bearing in mind this is a live recording it's a hell of a tone and the thumbed parts really drive the bottom end of their sound - any tips on how to replicate in a live environment would be welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxauXywSfcU

Edited by icastle
Link Fixed.

First off, many players/bands ignore slap lines live for that very reason...

Sounds like a Jazz to me, tricked up, and it will be mixed post gig, of course.
How to get it exactly I am not sure... but you could get it pretty close if you get away
from the classic, as in old hat, typical bass sounds.
I have a RW J5 with a JE pre... and I'd work the mid sweep pretty hard but wouldn't need/use
compression.... but many probably would.
On my bass, I'd go bass boost at half, or less, treble notched at 0...you may have to +- a tad here to taste.
The mid sweep would be around three quarters and the boost around the same.
Amp set pretty flat and the enhance or timbre or whatever played around with a bit.
Then I'd go to the cab and see how that was able to speak in a live context and maybe the horn around
half to 3/4 on.. Too much treble on bass or amp would give it too glassy a tone..

Thanks for the tips - I love slapping at home but live just ain't no fun anymore!

I have a jazz with an East pre in too so will give those settings a whirl and see if I can get somewhere near. I have been using the Compressor to try and beef the sound for slap but without great results.

I've found that in every situation I've put it in so far my GBIV always comes up with the goods on slapped passages/songs - & being in an 80s tribute band I'm afraid some slapping is mandatory ;)

As the previous poster said I don't use compression and hardly boost the bass or treble but adjust the mid freq/cut/boost to suit. I find that the GB is such an inherently good sounding instrument it's straightforward getting the tone I want/need (frequent string changing is a crucial element though and should not be overlooked?)

Btw on listening to the track it MORE than reminded me of the bass part of an old Level 42 instrumental (imaginatively) titled 'Forty Two' - uncanny!

Another thing I meant to mention, I think one of my basses would get close pretty easily and the other would be pretty hard work.
Their jazz sounds, whilst 'classic' are world's apart 'classic'.
I have one that does Marcus Miller really well... and it does Jaco very well off the back pickup, but I'd have to work very hard to get that bass ball park..
The other one..which I describe as vintage modern would be far easier. It also happens to be my go-to bass as well
in that it has that vintage/early 70's sound. Think Paul Turner...which is not a surprise as he had the thing built for him.
If I had to say one component I hear there is a RW neck..????

I am not a fan of EQ'ing the hell out of things ...if it isn't there, best leave it and get one that lends itself better.
That way you don't go round the houses chasing sounds... and aren't lost when the fancy settings have gone or disappear...
which they do :lol: :lol:

Edited by JTUK

I've got two basses with 'slap switches', the one on the Tanglewood (Cort) Curbow 5 cuts mids and boosts bass and also some treble - the contour can be adjusted to taste via a micro pot on the back of the body and I think it works well. My Squier Deluxe Jazz Active has a preset EQ contour that boosts bass a lot, less so on the treble side and it's less well implemented than the Curbow. I can achieve a similar effect using the Contour pot on my Genz Benz combo which also boosts bass and treble and cuts mids (and for good measure I've also got a similar EQ shape assigned to one of the footswitches on a couple of my patches on my Zoom B9). I guess this is one occasion when a smiley curve EQ is called for?

I'm not sure what bass it is - could be Musicman with one pick up. I don't think it sounds honky enough to be a Jazz personally - could be an active one I guess but doesn't have the Marcus Miller tone (or the other people I've seen play active Jazzes who sound very similar).

It sounds active and it definitely isn't a passive Precision!!

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1409292587' post='2538297']
but on occasions he has used Jazz Basses of various makes
[/quote]

On one of the YouTube clips from that gig you see a late 70's style Jazz Bass headstock pop into view, it's on a stand by his amp so you must be right.

The Eden seen on the video does help a lot to keep the low-end. When i have to use some slap lines i set my balance a bit more towards the neck pickup. I tend to keep my EQ flat(ish) on both the bass and amp, i only correct for the room and boost bass just a tad to feel the kick on the back.

sounds very classicy sort of marcus doesnt it

i love this tone - loads of crips tops but not too bright and masses of sub and drive without being too boomy

(thinly veiled excuse to post some george duke) :D

[url="http://youtu.be/bUzu-5UcN-s"]http://youtu.be/bUzu-5UcN-s[/url]