Why become a member? ×

How Blissful are you when playing bass.

Grangur

I just watched a video featuring Anthony Wellington. As many will know, he's a really amazing player. If you don't know, there are a good number of YT videos out there worth watching.

This one raises a point of asking where you are in your competence in playing bass.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rhvxy0r2Do&list=PL69E17AA3155CDF9C"]www.youtube....9E17AA3155CDF9C[/url]

I just wondered where we are on this scale. I'd say I fall well into the "Conscious Not Knowing". I certainly can't say that all the right notes fall naturally under my fingers, although that's were I aspire to be.

Also, what are your thoughts on this?

Cheers

Rich

Edited by Grangur

Mostly conscious knowing but I have moments of unconscious knowing when I'll pull something off after some noodling and I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly how I'm doing it, it just happens (as in yesterday when I realised I was raking across a few strings in a syncopated circular riff where getting left and right hands in perfect synchrony was required). There are times too of conscious not knowing where I try to do something like slap and I cannot get the multiple pops using index and middle fingers. It's a bit like driving really, a lot of the time I'm on automatic but I could explain to someone what I'm doing if I think about it... my conscious not knowing here is double-declutching (never needed it) and the heel-and-toe method for racing!

I'm definitely in the Conscious Knowing level. I've had moments of Unconscious Knowing and they were awesome. Normally they're fills when I'm just messing around on the instrument and not fully paying attention to what I'm doing. Proves what he says though doesn't it, the less I think about it, the better my line, I feel anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

......and after just three of those excellent Jazz cigarettes - unconscious and not caring...(but smiling)....

Interesting article - did you look at the "Rhythm Yardstick" clip with Anthony Wellington & Victor Wooten? - it came up as a related video on the You Tube page at the same time as the 4 levels video.

B)

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1409709265' post='2542546']
I'm definitely in the Conscious Knowing level. I've had moments of Unconscious Knowing and they were awesome. Normally they're fills when I'm just messing around on the instrument and not fully paying attention to what I'm doing. Proves what he says though doesn't it, the less I think about it, the better my line, I feel anyway.
[/quote]

Pretty much sums up the answer I was going to give.

I'd say I waver from Conscious Not Knowing, most of the time in Conscious knowing with rare moments of Unconscious Knowing. Last gig was odd - had a whole section that I can't remember other than it just felt good. Whole band were there too - we finished the second set with grins like the Cheshire Cat.