Why become a member? ×

Musician wanted ads - the kiss of death!

JapanAxe

As a born-again freelancer, I am always scanning the online ads. There are certain things that immediately put me off, e.g.:
- 'I am 15...'
- 'Stoner sludge doom death metalcore' (in any combination)
- Any female singer who refers to Alanis Morrissette.

What about you?

A real advert from The Gumtree.

Drummer available

I`m at Glasgow uni and thought it would be cool to have a hard rock cover band to have some fun. I do not have my own drum kit.

A drummer with no kit? I think I see a small problem.... :unsure:

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1409342348' post='2538926']
And what the heck is a "shoegaze band?"

And why do lots of people want to form one?
[/quote]
Yes I did think about including 'shoegaze' along with 'stoner...' etc, but I think I'd made my point by then!

In 2002 Mrs Axe and I went to see Suede (again). Second on the bill were Razorlight, in whom the star quality was clearly evident. Bottom of the bill were a band whose name I don't recall (surprise!) - they never engaged with the audience, and sank without trace. And that is the problem with shoegazing...

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1409342724' post='2538934']
Yes I did think about including 'shoegaze' along with 'stoner...' etc, but I think I'd made my point by then!

In 2002 Mrs Axe and I went to see Suede (again). Second on the bill were Razorlight, in whom the star quality was clearly evident. Bottom of the bill were a band whose name I don't recall (surprise!) - they never engaged with the audience, and sank without trace. And that is the problem with shoegazing...
[/quote]

Worst band I've seen in recent memory for lack of engagement live was Athlete. Coincidentally they were supporting Alanis Morissette.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1409342348' post='2538926']
And what the heck is a "shoegaze band?"
[/quote]

That label came long after the scene was gone, I think it was applied by American listeners.

It was bands who were signed to the Creation label in the early '90s. Ride, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, etc.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1409356399' post='2539058']

That label came long after the scene was gone, I think it was applied by American listeners.

It was bands who were signed to the Creation label in the early '90s. Ride, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, etc.
[/quote]

Still going, check out Engineers for example - [url="http://www.kscopemusic.com/artists/engineers/"]http://www.kscopemusic.com/artists/engineers/[/url]

Age immaterial always puts me off, smacks of desperate. Of course it matters. I wouldnt want to gig with 18 year olds any more than they would want me cramping their style.

Gigs waiting... Yeah sure, as long as you help sell 50 tickets.

Best ad I saw was for a one armed drummer for a Def Leppard trib band. ( must have own kit and stick) :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1409360056' post='2539082']
Age immaterial always puts me off, smacks of desperate. Of course it matters. I wouldnt want to gig with 18 year olds any more than they would want me cramping their style.

Gigs waiting... Yeah sure, as long as you help sell 50 tickets.

Best ad I saw was for a one armed drummer for a Def Leppard trib band. ( must have own kit and stick) :)[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]ha ha, love it

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1409355867' post='2539053']
Add to that image essential and it`s the full deal.
[/quote]
I have an image, but it's 'middle-aged man who dresses down' rather than 'rock god' or 'One Direction Wannabe', or whatever it is that people have in mind when they make these stipulations.

Edited by JapanAxe

"…wanted for jams/rehearsals" = "what I actually want is an accompanist to fill in the gaps that are left whilst I go widdlywiddlywiddly for 20 minutes in a setting [i]outside[/i] of my bedroom

"own rehearsal space" = "Mum lets me use the garage to get back at Dad for running off with an attractive young thing, instead of staying round here listening to my guitar sounds interrupting his TV viewing morning, noon and night because I can't be arsed to find a job"

"own transport essential" I'm too much of a flake to learn to drive, and I can't bum lifts off my parents or bandmates anymore because they're sick of me doing it, so you'll need to schlep me and my kit around too…"