Why become a member? ×

Action for slapping -how low/high do you like it?

franzbassist

Hello all

I've been playing pizz for about 4 years now on my BSX and am very comfortable with an action of around 7-8mm at the end of the fingerboard. However, as I am starting to play quite a lot of rockabilly I'm not sure this is adequate, as I struggle to play cleanly and miss the strings when playing at pace in a band setting, so..... I ask my BC brothers and sisters, what's a "typical" action for slappin'?

As the BSX is easy to adjust I could just play around, and probably will anyway, but I am curious to know what others go for.

Oh, I've got Silver Slaps on the bass, for info.

Thanks

Gareth

It's totally personal. Basically choose the lowest action which allows you to grab the strings whilst relaxing and avoiding tension, so you can bounce happily on the fingerboard without feeling you are hammering nails into it.
After years of experimenting I have been now settled for a fairly long time on an action going from 11mm G to 15mm E. I think on my other bass is even a smidge higher... I play gut strings apart from the E which is a Nylon-copper-nylon prototype made by the brilliant Thomas Schmucker in Germany and since then sold as the Gut-A-Like twister E, which marries the guts very well and doesn't unwind. As far as I know, I tried just about everything and this is what I love.
Although not at all a pure jazzer set up, I like it and it serves me very well for pizz too, although in that department I ain't no Scott LaFaro.

Edited by Rabbie

I slap on occasion and have my action similar to yours, from 7mm at the G end to 8mm. I use steel strings however, to still get a powerful pizz sound. I'm comfortable with this, but then again, my technique will be different to yours and I've adapted to a lowish action.