Why become a member? ×

Recommend a replacement MM style pickup

Mornats

Hey,

I've got a Dean Hillsboro SIngle bass that has a single MM style humbucker in the usual MM position. I'm not keen on the sound as I much prefer a P/J configuration but I do really like the bass. It's currently up for sale but if it doesn't sell I may change the pup in it and see if I can love it again.

So can you recommend an MM style pickup that could do the P/J type of sound? I know that the EMG MMTW lets you coil tap the pickup which may be what I want but I'd like to explore other options or even be told that I'm crazy for wanting to get a P/J sound out of an MM pickup!

The P/J sound I'm after is the sound you get when you centre pan the pickups so you get a bit of a scooped sound.

Can't help but agree with the above. I have PJs but I also liked the sound of a Wishbass i had that had a Kent Armstrong MM style humbucker. What I liked about the Kent Armstrong tone was the sound was more of a bass growl than you normally get from a MM. IMHO the MM is too metallic.

WD Music sell the Kent Armstrongs: http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/musicman-bass-pickup-2765-p.asp

Not bad for £51.

There are 3 wires from the pup, so you can control them separately.

Cheers guys, that's what I thought - if I want a P/J I'll have to stick with my P/Js! Incidentally, my SB320 is a P/J with a lovely tone.

However I'm very interested in a Kent Armstrong MM now - thanks Grangur, a more growly MM style could be just what I need. I could add a push/pull on the volume know to swap between the coils which would give me some versatility.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1409408103' post='2539431']
Hey,

I've got a Dean Hillsboro SIngle bass that has a single MM style humbucker in the usual MM position. I'm not keen on the sound as I much prefer a P/J configuration but I do really like the bass. It's currently up for sale but if it doesn't sell I may change the pup in it and see if I can love it again.

So can you recommend an MM style pickup that could do the P/J type of sound? I know that the EMG MMTW lets you coil tap the pickup which may be what I want but I'd like to explore other options or even be told that I'm crazy for wanting to get a P/J sound out of an MM pickup!

The P/J sound I'm after is the sound you get when you centre pan the pickups so you get a bit of a scooped sound.
[/quote]

The sound you're after is in large part due to the position of the P and J pickups. You won't get that with a single MM pickup regardless where it's placed, and especially at the usual Stingray position.

It just won't happen.

You either put pickups at the P/J positions, or learn to love the bass as it is... or sell it.