Why become a member? ×

Double neck?

Skinnyman

Don't ask me why, but I have a bit of a hankering for a double neck - 6 string guitar and bass. But they seem incredibly rare and, the few that are made, incredibly expensive, boutique instruments

So, does anyone know of a more mass-market (sic) version? I don't mind spending a few hundred on one but not a few thousand. Has anyone ever made a 6 string/bass hybrid?

If you want a double neck for posing, renting a cheap one for a day should be ok. Lol
If you really want a double neck that is playable and sounds correct you should spent at least the double of your Rick or Fender...really.
Warmouth sells different bodies and necks but you have to pay the price.
One more hidden problem is the weight.
I always considered the double neck as the grail, checked many ( very expensive ones ) at the Frankfurt Musik Messe but the weight was always a deal breaker.
Best

Edited by TheSiberian

[quote name='TheSiberian' timestamp='1409427267' post='2539663']
If you want a double neck for posing, renting a cheap one for a day should be ok. Lol
If you really want a double neck that is playable and sounds correct you should spent at least the double of your Rick or Fender...really.
Warmouth sells different bodies and necks but you have to pay the price.
One more hidden problem is the weight.
I always considered the double neck as the grail, checked many ( very expensive ones ) at the Frankfurt Musik Messe but the weight was always a deal breaker.
Best
[/quote]
It's probably the pose - although, if I could find one that was a reasonable weight I'd buy it and could make use of it live. The point about it costing the same as two individual guitars is well made - but there are plenty of good, inexpensive Asian guitars and basses being made these days so something that cost the same as a pair of them would seem reasonable. Although I accept that there probably isn't the mass market demand to justify production of a budget double neck.

Seems like you can get 6/12 doubles but no 6/4's.

Shame...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unfinished-Double-Body-Neck-Electric-Guitar-and-Bass-Kit-Project-DIY-NEW-/310647344190?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4854064c3e"]6/4 doubleneck DIY kit[/url] from Ireland for £167 delivered. Paddle headstocks need routing, woodwork needs a finish (oil?), then screw it together. :)