Why become a member? ×

Anyone can do it, right?

Skinnyman

[quote name='eightbitraptor' timestamp='1409480683' post='2540001']

I agree with most of this, I play guitar and bass, and I sing a little, but in my mind what other instruments I play is irrelevant in that situation. If I'm in a band playing bass and they've hired/chosen me to play bass, then I would like to think that they respect my ability as a bassist.

And there is definitely a difference between telling someone what to play and giving constructive advice. I'd always absorb advice from other musicians. But dictators just make playing a soulless, unenjoyable experience for me.
[/quote]
Thats it and I try not to to watch those bands thinking "I wish he was on bass instead of singing", id try and enjoy it for what it is. :)

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1409480969' post='2540008']
Quite the opposite with me :blush: My guitarists are always looking to me to help them with chords and song arrangements.
They nick named me the "Chordmaster" as I always seem to know what chords go where and ask me for advice. ;)
[/quote]

A bit like this for me too , as it appears that I am the one who actually listens/studies/learns the new tunes proposed before rehearsals , but that is another kettle of fish entirely .

Our old gtr could play bass well enough but was stylistically limited in that he played with a pick and
there was only so far he could go with that. Couldn't play in the pocket either so apart from a suggestion
here and there on an original that he co-wrote, he stuck to what he does best.
A gtr who thinks bass is just the low 4 string of a gtr seperated only by an octave really doesn't have the
imagination or guile or nous to play bass.

I play with a load of different multi instrumentalists. I generally respect each bass player's style (I play drums now :( ) but will occasionally make a suggestion in a sensitive way, and I've not had an argument yet. Likewise if someone wants to sit down at the kit and show me a beat, I'll pass them the sticks and pay attention.

My first instrument is guitar but I've never, ever asked a guitarist to play differently, unless it's my own tune. Maybe that's because all the guitarists I play with are ace?! What a lucky guy!

I won't be a part of anythng where i don't have total control over what I'm playing, if they don't like my basslines they can find another bassist...

If I was playing bass for a living then I'd play whatever the person paying me wanted... but I'm not. I'm playing original music for fun and playing basslines someone else has written does nothing for me.

In my old band, which had two guitarists, I took seriously ill just before a gig (ended up in a coma).

They did the gig without me, and one of them used a whammy pedal set to -12 to cover the 'noticable' bass parts! It had 'George in a box' sticker on it forever more!

I've got a similar situation in my current band. There's 6 of us, and one of the two guitarists has been like described here: it's never good enough, we need to change the arrangement, you're not playing it right, play it like this, change your technique to this, you should listen to bassist X, I don't like any of these songs everyone has suggested to add to the set, etc etc. This would be punctuated by long absences from rehearsals for health and family reasons, fair enough to be honest, but don't come back unannounced to find things have changed in your absence. Frustrating, and it really holds back the band's progress.

Then we have a forced "pub rehearsal" one week as our usual rehearsal location is unexpectedly unavailable. We have a pint and a chat, everyone except the above guitarist is there. One of the agenda items that crops up is what we do with the current line-up. We agree after not much deliberation that we can proceed as a 5-piece, maybe get in another player, guitarist is still part of the gang but only for guest appearances at the occasional gig.

That was 3 or 4 weeks ago, we've had one 5-piece rehearsal since, and a gig I couldn't play but a dep sat in for me, no problem. At that rehearsal, band leader says he's spoken to the guitarist, it's all sorted and he's fine with it. Then, in the run-up his week's rehearsal, guitarist sends text to at least me and keys player saying "are we on for rehearsal this week as usual". I reply "as far as I know, I've not heard any different". Reply from him during the day of rehearsal "see you there". He turns up, and me and keys player wonder what's going on. Awkward. Band leader is last to arrive so there's no chance to sound him out. We've got a gig soon that guitarist is fully rehearsing for and expecting to play. He was curiously well-behaved, and I got a slightly out of character "well played" text on my way home.

So one of two things has happened: either the bandleader/guitarist chat hasn't happened, or something else has happened in the couple of weeks between pub chat and rehearsals which the band hasn't been told about. Either way (unless something else has happened), it's awkward and I get the feeling we've been lied to somewhere.

Sorry for lengthy rant, wanted to unload and see if there any opinions forthcoming.

Wow. I complain about my guitarse but he's a sweetheart compared to yours...

It's very possible that bandleader and guitarist had a chat and both came away with very different recollections. So bandleader thinks he was diplomatic (it's not you, it's us. We're holding you back, you're undermining their confidence and they aren't as talented as you, need to make room to let other people grow, etc). And the guitarist just heard 'blah, blah, you're brilliant but cut the others some slack'.

Question is whether you can live with him now he's turned over a new leaf or whether you still want him out. In which case, there's a very good thread on how to can someone on this very forum!

But I'd assume incompetence or incomprehension rather than some Machiavellian plot, lies, deceit and intrigue.

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1409823702' post='2543608']
Wow. I complain about my guitarse but he's a sweetheart compared to yours...

It's very possible that bandleader and guitarist had a chat and both came away with very different recollections. So bandleader thinks he was diplomatic (it's not you, it's us. We're holding you back, you're undermining their confidence and they aren't as talented as you, need to make room to let other people grow, etc). And the guitarist just heard 'blah, blah, you're brilliant but cut the others some slack'.

Question is whether you can live with him now he's turned over a new leaf or whether you still want him out. In which case, there's a very good thread on how to can someone on this very forum!

But I'd assume incompetence or incomprehension rather than some Machiavellian plot, lies, deceit and intrigue.
[/quote]

Thanks! To be honest communication has never been a strong point in this band, so I suspect you're right with your incompetence/incomprehension summary.

As a bit more background, guitarist has a long studio recording history, so everything has to be right now, done in one take, right let's move on. Compare to others in the band (not me so much) who don't have much free time in the week to work on material, so rehearsal night is their "learning" time as well as "rehearsal" time.

Which is the "how to can someone" thread by the way?

^ Control issue. If there is a band leader, then he needs to tell you want is going on
as it sounds contrary to what was agreed.
Gtr 2 has gotten wind of the original decision and addressed his issues ...which is kind of good as he 'may' have
learned but at the very least you should all tell 'band leader' that any time the gtr reverts to his old position
he is defo out. Unless that happens, you should walk, but it depends how much you want to stay in the band
as to whether you'll stick to that.
Don't really see how 2 gtrs and keys work unless gtrs and keys are VERY sorted.

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1409435629' post='2539768']

Seriously, it's every bleedin' week and has gone on for months. Every time there's a small bass fill (think "crazy little thing") I see him look across and smile and nod, like I'm a three year old and just managed to tie my own shoelaces for the first time.

Patronising t**t.

Hmmm, perhaps this is symptomatic of a wider issue with my band mate.

But one of these days, he's going to get a bass chucked at him with the words "well you 'kin play it then" as I stomp off to sulk....
[/quote]

Just go in a band that deserves your bass skils, you'll be more happy.
Best

Of course someone who plays guitar might also be a very good bass player (or not) , but it seems the issue in the OP is more about the guitarists having the character of someone who you don't wish to spend your fun time with.

This is exactly the reason I have quit a band (its no fun due to internal personality issues) and exactly why I enjoy playing with some of the other bands (not just good music, but straight forward fun people)

If its a hobby then don't waste your time with people you don't gel with on a personal level.