Why become a member? ×

What do you think of this band.?

bubinga5

Why do you want to know?

I could nitpick about stuff like the banter before the songs being meh. A little enthusiastic on the fast picking bass on the first track (did I just say that? I must be getting old). The vocals too shouty for the laid back music they're playing.

I could also say the drums seem appropriate and the guitars sound great, nice fat but articulate tone on the bass.

A good 7.5 out of 10 for the genre.

thank you for your opinion. well they have asked me to play bass for them.its not really my thing but i always like to play with other musicians. but i agree, the rhythm section section needs holding down and being more uniformed, i think maybe is what skittish means.?

Edited by bubinga5

Another one here who thinks the vocals are too shouty which is a shame because you can tell that during the first song where there's a chance to hear the vocals not fighting the instruments, a cappella, it's not that bad a voice (is it the main vocalist here or not?). In fact the more strident the vocal, the worse it sounds... sounds like a bad cross between Rod Stewart and Noddy Holder and the inter song banter is awful and makes me wince. Do people really care what every song is about? And it isn't my type of band, Brits doing faux American rock'n'roll.

might be awkward for me to say "hey guys , I'm new but lets tighten up the rhythm section" and hey your vocals could do with some polishing.

I'm not really after a few pints at a gig.. and i don't want to come across as snobbish, but i would like to play bass to make the music a little better. I've known the drummer for years and he knows my playing. its very different to the previous guy. I'm no Pino Palladino, but i don't think that style of, less is more approach would go a miss. imo the previous bassist is putting in his fills in the wrong place and too often. only my opinion

or maybe the endless slap might work. yeah they would love that.!

Edited by bubinga5

The band are ok, but I gave up with the vocals when it got to the beginning of the second track. I'm sure your input to the rythm section will improve the tightness and overall sound. To move this band forward requires the vocalist to really raise his game, or better still, a better singer (IMO of course).

I think you will be good for them. The only way to find out if they'll be good for you is to try a couple of rehearsals and see. Good luck, hope it works out.

The original material seems a lot weaker to my ears than the covers of known stuff, but it's not a genre I know a great deal about.

Depends on whether you're a fan of the good ol' Cap'n BeefHeart or not, I should think. They'd make a good tribute band for the Magic Band, early period. Nothing wrong with the vocals that 14 tons of reverb couldn't swamp, either. It's even Morrison-ny (Jim..!) by moments..! They're a 'fun' band; if you're into a 'fun' way of performing, then they're fine. They're not helped here by the less-than-Showcase recording, but I'd imagine that, on a 'hot' night, it could all rock on nicely. There's some originality in there, amongst the 'genres' and clichés. Good on 'em, I say; not sure if you've the ideal profile for this kind of 'rollin' an' tumblin' style of music, but then again, I don't know you face to face. I like the lack of intensity, lack of pretentiousness, 'let's boogie' attitude. Do you..?
I find the contrast in accent between West Coast and West Country refreshing. More power to 'em. Is it for you..? Dunno, lad. Only you can tell.
Hope this helps (although I doubt it somehow... :blush:[size=4] )[/size]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1409471087' post='2539900']
Initial opinion - the rhythm section are a bit skittish. IMO.
[/quote]

too many where the bass drums and guitar are almost in unison but often not quite

listening through the styles of the tracks would be fairly straightforward to come up with some busy but fundamental bass lines without duplicating the guitar or vice cersa make the bass take the riff and let the guitarist loose :gas:

but on the whole not too shabby and bags of potential id say :D

Edited by steve-bbb

I guess I'm in the minority but I quite liked that, including the vocals!

They sound quite fun - I saw a similar sounding band at The London Blues Festival that for some reason was in Reading during the summer, the only difference was they had two female singers in addition to the big shouty man and they went down a storm.

I think it has the component parts of a reasonable band but hasn't quite managed to gel as well as it could.

Bringing in a new musician from a different genre is often a good way of injecting new life into a band.

There's one blues band round here that added a rock guitarist to their rather staid lineup about 6 months ago and they're sounding really good now as they've all raised their game.

I liked it.
But its all about if you like it.
If you think it will improve your playing, or be good for you, thats great.
But if you dont really enjoy the music, i dont see it being something long term.
It gets boring quickly playing music you dont enjoy.
Well i should say, i get bored quickly, playing music i dont enjoy.

Not bad at all. Re the vocals...nothing much wrong with them but maybe a little high in the mix, therefore shows up the slight issues that it may have. I don't have a problem with the chatting between songs....in fact I think bands that just go from one song to the next are not really trying to relate with the crowd. Ok if it's just done in a studio (ie no crowd there), then might be seen as a bit daft.

I thought it was really good. Not so hot on the singist. I agree, he's trying too hard and doesn't have that great a voice but maybe if he didn't try to be so gravelly, it would sound better. If I was to walk in to a bar a see these, I would stay! Good luck mate, I'm sure you will enjoy playing with this lot .

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1409819682' post='2543570']
I thought it was really good. Not so hot on the singist. I agree, he's trying too hard and doesn't have that great a voice but maybe if he didn't try to be so gravelly, it would sound better. If I was to walk in to a bar a see these, I would stay! Good luck mate, I'm sure you will enjoy playing with this lot .
[/quote]
+1 Agree that the vocalist is the "marmite" here - he does try too hard sometimes. The live recording is reasonable quality - but the mix is a bit off - just too much vocal, not enough kick drum presence. Nice bass tone though - with some variation from song to song. Some of the pick ups seem to be just slightly off the right timing - a bit early IMHO.
+1 to others on the inter-song chit chat - is a bit much - needs to be more polished.

It's all probably just the mix because a poor singer does not necessarily mean a poor band. I've seen guys who had not very good voices but boy, they knew how to be a frontman. That can be really important. I sing for our band and have been told that I've got a good voice, but I'm the first to admit, I'm the worlds worst front man. I like to just get on with it and do the next song right away!

Look at Jimi Hendrix or Bob Dylan. sh*te singers but it didn't do them any harm!