Why become a member? ×

Creedence ClearWater Revival.

bubinga5

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1409523269' post='2540585']
Well I persuaded my last band to include it in the setlist so not so! We did our bit to spread the word about Jose and his tractor!

Great to have a thread on CCR - possibly my favourite band/style ever. Even made it into one of my favourite films - Apocalypse Now - who can name that tune? And was it CCR themselves playing it live?

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

I gave up trying to get bands to play it years ago. For some reason guitards just couldnt see it, and usually suggest doing Proud Mary instead.

Lyrics are a bit dated now though I spose, who under 50 would know who Spiro and Ronnie the popular were ?

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote]Lyrics are a bit dated now though I suppose, who under 50 would know who Spiro and Ronnie the popular were ? [/quote]

I just like the up tempo beat even though as you say the lyrics are a little dated. Always a good tune to get people up dancing to.

[quote]I was about to say 'Fortunate Son' but I have a feeling it was 'Suzie Q'.[/quote]

Suzie Q indeed - the scene were the band are playing to the soldiers and they helicopter in the bunny girls. Just found this link, it was Flash Cadillac who played the scene, a good read here if you are interested:

http://www.flashcadillac.com/ApocolypseNow.html

Now if only I can muster up wonder woman and two playboy bunnies for our next gig I'm sure we will go down a treat!

Cheers,
Rich

Fortunate Son is a great protest song, and was on the Forrest Gump soundtrack. Also covered by U2 IIRC.

Great band and great voice, although I could never 'get' why their cover of Heard it through the Grapevine is so universally admired. Also, years of playing Have You Ever Seen The Rain has spoiled any subsequent enjoyment of that one :-(

It's been a while - I reckon a CCR session at work is long overdue.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1409511967' post='2540382']
Yep, can't go wrong with a bit of CCR. Theirs is my favourite version of 'heard it through the grapevine'
[/quote]

You mean ''hoyd' it through the grapevine' don't you? :) Strange pronounciation as Fogerty was Californian.

Years ago, at a gig in Holland, a tribute band I was in was supported by a Dutch CCR tribute band. They were extremely good - if truth be told, I think I actually preferred their set to ours. The punk band I'm about to depart from does a sort of punk version of Fortunate Son. People are always surprised it's in our setlist, until they hear it and realise it fits in really well.

Superb stuff, we do 'Fortunate son' and 'Bad moon rising', Fortunate is our 'go-to' song, if ever we have a 'what are we gonna play?' moment at a rehearsal or soundcheck, it's 'Don't be daft-Fortunate!' 'Bad moon' is one of our Back pocket songs we whip out if we need an extra one that we can pull out any time without having practiced it. I've tried to get 'Up around the bend' into the set as well but the other two aren't so keen. I can't stand 'Proud Mary' though, it has the taint of Tina Turner on it, plus working in holiday camps in my youth has turned me against that one.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1409582172' post='2541118']
Don't forget this little-known JF solo album number

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW8ekYsa7-4[/media]
[/quote]
Can't see that becoming a hit... played on the wrong shape of guitar for a start!

Was introduced to CCR by a mate at school, many moons ago, and have loved them ever since. Always been in the top 5 of my "If I could have been in any band..." list. B)