Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision 1971 (now with photos)

chrisanthony1211

Sometimes when something looks too good to be true, it is, but sometimes you just gotta trust in look and take a punt. But having just had a pretty good result into my first foray into the world of the precision with my USA 1984, which is in tip top nick, and sounds awesome, I just bought a 71 precision for what can only be a very good price (although it's hasn't actually arrived yet!, and could turn out to be a piece of junk!)
Although I haven't seen the bass other than a few scratchy photos, I have spoken to the seller and being a pretty good judge of character I think he's an honest bloke. He's had the bass since 1972 and only modification is a recent change of pickups, although he has put the original ones in the (original) case should I want to get them fixed. I had bought this to sell on and something has to go if I want to stay out of the divorce courts! But something tells me that this may just stay and it may be my status that is on the for sale forum in a couple of weeks.
Photos to follow once it arrives on Tuesday.

On a side note, what's the crack with old pickups, can they be fixed or once they have gone is that pretty much it?

Edited by chrisanthony1211

You can get them re-wired. Many luthiers have contacts on who they send them to when this is needed. I know Wizzard used to do this, although they`ve ceased think some elements are still going in Hot-Wire Pickups if memeory han`t let me down.

Good purchase sir!

I've got a similar era P Bass and its a great period for them, even if they don't have the same kudos (i.e. unaffordable price tag!) of 1960s ones.

Mine (on the right in my avatar) is from 1970 and has lovely slim B profile neck, 7.25 radius, slightly bird's-eye maple flecked neck and is as light as a feather. Great bass.

Enjoy yours chap.

I've emailed Mr Kent who has advised me that a very reasonable £55 would get both pick ups rewound, less if the fix doesn't need rewiring, that's actually a similar price to the new fender original pick ups that have been put onto it, anyone know if these are any good?
Parcel force tracking currently has it in Poole, should arrive tomorrow, I may have to chain the wife up in the house so she doesn't miss the delivery :-/
There could be be troubled the mill if she pops out to her mums, misses Mr parcel force and I've gotta wait until Wednesday!

Arrived today, and what a beauty, it even smells like 1971, I've never payed a bass like this before and it is truly wonderful! It obviously hadn't been played for quite some time as when it arrived it was just about unplayable with a ridiculously high action, and old strings, but a few turns of the truss rod which thankfully turns nice and smoothly, some new chromes and a little attention to string height and intonation and all of a sudden I have a beauty in my hands. What a tone!
Got this for less than a grand too! Check out my photos.

http://s1161.photobucket.com/user/chrisanthony1211/library/AER%20clone/Clone%20mk%202/Fender%20precision%20USA%201984/1971%20precision?sort=3&page=1

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1409729415' post='2542603']
Very nice and what a stupendously good price.

How did I miss this on Ebay? :D
[/quote]
I've been doing some "bass trawling" on preloved, gumtree and eBay recently and there are bargains to be had, about six months ago I missed out on a 1972 jazz bass on eBay which went for £750, with 20 seconds to go on the auction it was on £450 and I foolishly only bid £700 thinking it was a certainty and was gutted when I missed out, I wasn't going to miss this one, I'm glad you weren't "bass trawling" Friday else I'm pretty sure you'd have beaten me to it as it took me until Saturday to convince the wife it was a bargain!