Why become a member? ×

Lessons before buying?

MrBen

Hi everyone.

Looking for a little advice. I want to pick up bass again - had a bass when I was a kid but never really got that far with it, and had a few jams with friends at uni with a borrowed bass and now *some* years later I've got the itch to have a proper go of it.

Having not played for ages would it make sense to have a few lessons where I can borrow a bass from the tutor to get a feel for the type of guitar I like to play? I know what I like the look of, but if i go in to try a few I'm just going to be playing what I learnt at 14 - Nirvana & Sugar mainly! - with poor technique and let's be honest they will all feel better than what I've played previously!

My current thoughts are to wait a few months and get something decent - I really like the look of the Squire VM's - rather than get something cheaper and see if I can have a few lessons in the meantime so when I go and try them I have an idea of what I like. Does that sound like a good idea?

Or am I over thinking this and should just go pick up a £100 bass to get a feel for playing again and look at something better further down the line?

I'm in Birmingham - any recommendations for tutors also welcome! :)

Thanks for any help!

Edited by MrBen

There are many ways to get started again but you'll need something to practice on. You can try local music shops in Brum to get an idea but there are some really nice and relatively inexpensive basses appearing on this forum.

A tutor is a good idea but you might like to have a look at stuff on the web. There are also some good books available at the Birmingham library to take you through the early stages. There's rockschool stuff for all grades amongst other things.

Get going and keep at it. It helps to play along with others as early as possible.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

I'd recommend lessons personally.

I'm in Birmingham at the moment and teach, there's one guy comes to me once a fortnight. He's made fantastic progress after only 3 lessons, he couldn't even fret notes properly at his first lesson.

Good afternoon, MrBen (or may we call you Ben..? :)[size=4] )...[/size]
[size=4]I too, would recommend lessons right from the start; that's the most sure-fire way of getting onto the right track. Each tutor has his/her own ethos, but most will know how to get you started, at least. It may be a good idea to establish, for yourself, your initial objectives; it'll help them to know what you're expecting of the lessons.[/size]
[size=4]There are many inexpensive (not cheap; 'inexpensive'..!) basses available for starting out with, but a teacher could advise, too,and maybe have a recommendation or two. I'd discuss the issue on the first meeting; there's no rush be become equipped too soon, is there..? Two useful qualities to have are, imo, patience and motivation. If you have those, you can't go wrong. Good luck, whatever your choices; keep us posted as to progress, please..?[/size]

I can see the point about getting lessons and all the tutors I know believe them to be the right way forward. The only thing about this post is that there may be a budget issue. If that's the case I'd go for a bass first with less expensive teaching aids. If budget isn't a problem get the gear and pay for the lessons.

Wow - thanks for all the feedback!

@Dad3353 - Yes, you can call me Ben. It is my name after all :)

Loads of really useful stuff.

Having re-read my first post it was a bit wooly. I do plan to have lessons - thank you for the recommendations, and I know I need something to practice on! :)

I guess the questions come down to:

a) Do I save up a bit and get a reasonable quality bass? Something that I'm not going to feel I want to trade up in a year or so.

If so I'm not 100% comfortable that with my current skill level I'd be in a place to make an informed choice - i.e. if I want a p or a j neck, pup types etc so would it be worth having a couple of lessons where I can use a few different basses to have a better idea of what I like playing?

I'm also conscious that a better bass should be nicer to learn on, though I haven't played a new bass in years so the quality gap may be much smaller.

or

b} just buy a cheap bass to start and plan of changing it when I have more experience?

Option b can happen sooner, but if I get something much nicer by waiting a few months then I'm happy to do that.

Having looked online I like the look/idea of these basses - but obviously have no idea how they play!

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-vintage-modified-jazz-bass-77-in-black.html
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-vintage-modified-cabronita-precision-electric-bass-guitar-in-black.html
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-vintage-modified-telecaster-bass-guitar-in-vintage-blonde.html
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-classic-vibe-precision-bass-50s-electric-bass-guitar-in-lake-placid-blue.html
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/musicman-sub-ray4-black-rn.html
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Gretsch-G2220-Junior-Jet-Bass-II-Bass-Guitar-Black/QIO?origin=product-ads&gclid=CJ_ll9vovcACFSKWtAodCF8AoA

A few different styles off basses there, but I guess they are all pretty classic/vintage styles.

If I went for option b I guess I'd be looking at something like the Jazz bass Darren linked to above: http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jandd-jb-vintage-1975-sfgr-bass-guitar-surf-green--201561

and I like the look of http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pb_50_sb_vintage_series.htm but that seems stupid cheap to expect a reasonable bass.

or I'll need to look 2nd hand.

I appear to be incapable of writing short, concise posts today! Thanks for bearing with all my waffle! :D

OK, Ben it is, then (... and I forgot to add: 'Welcome to the forum'...)...

A choice of bass..? Yes, it's difficult, as, these days, we are all spoilt for that choice, none more so than beginners. I would still hold with getting the advice of your future teacher; he may have a student selling a suitable bass, or be able to recommend a 'deal' from a local supplier. Any and all of the basses you've linked would come into the category of 'beginner' basses, and most, if not all, would be easily capable of holding their own on a professional stage, with the right set-up, and in the right hands. As far as recommendations go, I'd suggest ignoring the 'colour' thing, and starting off with a well-known sure-fire 'type', such as a 'J' or 'P' configuration. Nothing wrong with the others, of course, but upgrading an off-beat bass is a bit more tricky than simply swapping out a set of 'J' pickups.
You have, of course, taken a good look around in the 'For Sale' section of this forum..? You could doubtless get pretty good value for money buying s/h from here; most sales go through extremely smoothly, and most basses sold will at least have had a decent set-up.
With all these choices, you really can't go wrong, whichever way you step. Me..? I'd go for one from the Marketplace here. You..? Ha..! That's more difficult. Ask your tutor, then take the plunge. Come on in; the water's lovely..! B)

Edited by Dad3353

Hi and welcome, from a personal prospective from your list I would probably go for the Musicman Sub as it has a good tonal range and a decent sized neck but, for the price of a new Sub, you would be able to pick up a good number of higher quality second hand basses i.e a USA Musicman Sub, Mexican Fender Precisions or Jazz's, Japanese Bass Collections and Ibanez Soundgear basses yo name but a few, I would visit you local music shop and play what you like to look of, decide on a style you like and are comfortable with then possibly look for a used one.....bear in mind you will also want an amp of some kind as practicing with an unplugged electric bass is hardly inspiring

I would go for the bass first, lessons will go much better if you can play between them, working on what you've learned.

As for the bass second hand might be the way to go, there are some amazing bargains to be had on this site and most members REALLY look after their gear, looking through the ads makes me almost feel lucky to be left handed, Id be broke snapping up some of stuff for sale otherwise.

I'd also get down to the biggest music store local to you and get a feel the sort bass you prefer, especially in terms of neck profile, eg chunkier precision neck or slimmer jazz style. As well as the sound and weight of the bass. A precision variant is always a nice place to start because they're so versatile musically.

A good point about the set up of the bass. A poorly set up bass can put you off what is a perfectly serviceable bass. This nearly happened to me as my son wanted a squire precision special. Tried one at the local music shop and I didn't know whether to play it or use it for archery practice as the strings were so high and neck needed adjusting. I was sceptical about buying this makes of bass at all but we ended up getting one online and after a little time setting it up it's turned out to be a very good buy. Some of the basses you've posted are of similar ilk and I'd look to second hand ones of these to start with.

Living in Birmingham you can go to PMT to try a good range. It's also advice I endorse about getting a P or J bass as they have a wide appeal.

Get yourself into music shops Ben. The guys will be happy to let you try different basses until you find one you like . It's all down to personal taste after all and what floats one persons boat , may not be to your liking. It's pretty hard to find a really horrible bass if you spend a bit right enough, so as is with everything else, you get what you pay for. ;)

You need access to a bass to practise so that comes first.
Better still is 24/7 access.
Then you go for lessons and come back to work on the stuff you have just learnt.

The intructor can tell you if the bass is any sort of hinderance but a bass to play on is almost certainly going to be better than no bass at all.

Having said that... a lot of basses are injuries waiting to happen ..so someone who knows what they are doing will help there.

When it comes to basses. I heartily recommend yamaha for an incredible bang for buck ratio.

Mine was sub £100 on ebay and I find it the perfect animal. I wander in to music shops and play fenders, spectors etc. And think "that's lovely, I'll buy that when payday comes around". When I get home I play my yamaha and realise that the bass I'd just chosen is only marginally better than the bass I own, and certainly not hundreds of pounds better.

As a result my gas is instantly cured by owning a bass that punches far above its weight.

+1 on the "buy before you start", for the access to the instrument to get practising. Unlike learning to drive, you CAN pick up the bass anytime; 24/7. Much of what you're learning on week1 is flexibility, dexterity and muscle memory.

If you buy second hand, then you should be able to sell for about the same price, if you don't like bass. So what do you have to lose?

Once, for a laugh, I bought a Gear4Music P bass copy on evilbay. It cost me all of £20. The set-up was awful, but after about 30 mins of adjustment it sounded great. It's the best £20 I've ever spent. I highly recommend them. After all, I've spent more on parking a car than that!!

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1409577436' post='2541043']
When it comes to basses. I heartily recommend yamaha for an incredible bang for buck ratio.

Mine was sub £100 on ebay and I find it the perfect animal. I wander in to music shops and play fenders, spectors etc. And think "that's lovely, I'll buy that when payday comes around". When I get home I play my yamaha and realise that the bass I'd just chosen is only marginally better than the bass I own, and certainly not hundreds of pounds better.

[/quote]

+1 to this. I absolutely love my Yamaha. In fact I also have an RBX270J like 'Dave the Bass' and you can't go too far wrong. Beautifully put together, great tonal range (P & J pups), really nice slim neck and not too heavy. And again, all for under £100 on ebay.

Also, don't be put off by the low price of the Harley Benton Vintage Series basses. From what other Basschatters have said about them on here they are really great basses for little money. Look great, Wilkinson pick-ups. Tempted by one of the Jazzes myself.

Finally, IMHO, bass first then lessons for all the reasons stated by other people above.

Thanks once again everyone! Very helpful comments.

I'm afraid I'm going to be really vain about this, but I'm not the biggest fan of the look of the Yamaha's - however good they play! I know that i should be buying on how they play, but I want something that I love the look off too. The only basses I've owned are my original Encore P bass in 1993/4 and I ended up with my 2nd choice colour, and a £50 heap a thing several years after that which had a bad re-spray and was a dog to play. This time i want something that I thing looks amazing :) Those basses might explain why I didn't stick with it! The loaner at the uni rehearsal studios was much nicer to play than both of those.

Thanks for the link to the HB Tele bass @Annoying Twit - I spotted that but it seems to be sold already.

My eBay is not full of basses! :D

I seem to be really drawn to Tele style basses - i do keep coming back to the HB PB-50. It looks ace and is stupid cheap! I REALLY like the custom sk8 had made - I'm still drooling! http://basschat.co.uk/topic/242293-nbd-custom-telecaster/

I do keep looking at

If you're in Brum you can't go wrong with just popping into PMT or Guitar guitar and just having a quick play with several different basses.
If you go to PMT ask for Matt, he sold me my Schecter and he's really knowledgeable in all aspects of bass (he might be able to point you in the direction of a good tutor as well)

[quote name='mikebass84' timestamp='1409735219' post='2542699']
If you're in Brum you can't go wrong with just popping into PMT or Guitar guitar and just having a quick play with several different basses.
If you go to PMT ask for Matt, he sold me my Schecter and he's really knowledgeable in all aspects of bass (he might be able to point you in the direction of a good tutor as well)
[/quote]

+1 to the endorsement of the lovely Matt.
He sold me my TC Electronics combo. He was very helpful and happy to answer 'stupid' questions in a non-patronising way.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1409745622' post='2542872']

+1 to the endorsement of the lovely Matt.
He sold me my TC Electronics combo. He was very helpful and happy to answer 'stupid' questions in a non-patronising way.
[/quote]
He sold a good friend of mine a tc combo as well and remembered us both when we popped in to have a look around.