Why become a member? ×

Question about Trace Elliot V-Type all tube head

Catalin

Hello guys !
I have a Trace Elliot V-Type all tube head. The head have 4 preamp tubes: 2 are closer to the power tubes and the other 2 are lower situated and closer to the input - i think these are preamp tubes and the others are drive tubes, i'm right ?
The preamp tubes are Tronal, what do you know about these tubes?
Tnks !

Edited by Catalin

[quote name='Catalin' post='249435' date='Jul 28 2008, 10:48 AM']Hello guys !
I have a Trace Elliot V-Type all tube head. The head have 4 preamp tubes: 2 are closer to the power tubes and the other 2 are lower situated and closer to the input - i think these are preamp tubes and the others are drive tubes, i'm right ?
The preamp tubes are Tronal, what do you knoe about these tubes?
Tnks ![/quote]
Is it possible for you to take a photo of the tubes? It might help people to help you better. :)

Here is a breakdown of what the pre-amp tubes do in a newer V4:

V1a: Unity-gain Cathode-follower Buffer (No amplification yet: the buffer isolates the input source from the rest of the pre-amp, so that the differing electrical characteristics of different types of instrument don't affect it.)

V1b: First gain stage. (Signal is amplified to line level. Line Out is taken off the top of this valve)
----------------------
V2 a+b: Second gain stage (Used for overdrive. Can be bypassed with pull-switch)
----------------------
EQ stack
----------------------
V3 a+b: Post-EQ Gain stage (to make up for the loss of signal level caused by the EQ stack)
----------------------
V4 a+b: Compressor (can be bypassed using On/Off switch)
----------------------
V5 a+b: Final Gain stage
----------------------
V6 a+b: Phase splitter
----------------------
V7 a+b: Cathode-follower Buffer/Driver for the output valves (no voltage amplification, but provides plenty of current 'grunt' for driving the KT88s)

So from looking at that I assume the two sunken tubes are the first gain stage and comp and the two at the back might be the final gain stage post EQ and final gain/cathode follower, or something along those lines?

Very nice and clean looking amp by the way!

[quote name='Catalin' post='249435' date='Jul 28 2008, 10:48 AM']Hello guys !
The preamp tubes are Tronal, what do you know about these tubes?
Tnks ![/quote]

Here is a 1996 schematic of the V type preamp, or preamp section. The first two v1 and V2 are in the preamp proper, other two ECC 83s or 12AX7s are in the input gain stage of the power amp section. The V type preamps are all the same , they are 2 valve preamps. FYI, if you are looking for these, across the pond they turn up cheaper and you can re-wire them to work in the UK.

Edited by synaesthesia

Circa 1995-1998 the V-Types had 2 pramp valves as per Catalin's and my amps.

1998/99 Trace brought out the revised V-Type range which was the new V4 head and combos and the V8, boht of which have far more complex valve preamps which are entirely different beasties from the Bassman-inspired earlier range.

EDIT: both early and late ranges had a V4 head, hence the confusion which Ped and OBBM were alluding to!

Edited by Merton

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='254443' date='Aug 4 2008, 01:33 PM']Here is a 1996 schematic of the V type preamp, or preamp section. The first two v1 and V2 are in the preamp proper, other two ECC 83s or 12AX7s are in the input gain stage of the power amp section. The V type preamps are all the same , they are 2 valve preamps. FYI, if you are looking for these, across the pond they turn up cheaper and you can re-wire them to work in the UK.[/quote]
Thank you!
How much it will change the sound if i change the upper tubes from input gain stage of the power amp?
I live in Romania.

[quote name='ped' post='254497' date='Aug 4 2008, 03:11 PM']I might have to sell my V4 soon. Moving house the other day really highlighted how much I don't use it.[/quote]
Don't say that out loud to me agin. Please. I will be castrated if I even consider it!

[quote name='ped' post='254497' date='Aug 4 2008, 03:11 PM']I might have to sell my V4 soon. Moving house the other day really highlighted how much I don't use it.[/quote]

Heads up!!!

Hehe - seriously if you want to talk lets do this. ;0)

ped

So in conclusion the lower tubes are preamp and the highrt tubes are input gain stage of the power amp ?
Guys can you tell me in what year was made this amp ?
Here is the serial number: T0105.0144 Model: VTYPE-H0 It's made in '95-'98 ?

Edited by Catalin

[quote name='obbm' post='254448' date='Aug 4 2008, 02:40 PM']Not quite. The V8 is a more sophisticated version with 7 valves.[/quote]
Mine goes up to 11.

:)

In all seriousness, I've just counted mine. 8 power valves and 7 preamp valves (excluding the one that lights up).