Why become a member? ×

Question about Trace Elliot V-Type all tube head

Catalin

[quote name='Catalin' post='254776' date='Aug 4 2008, 06:52 PM']So in conclusion the lower tubes are preamp and the highrt tubes are input gain stage of the power amp ?
Guys can you tell me in what year was made this amp ?
Here is the serial number: T0105.0144 Model: VTYPE-H0 It's made in '95-'98 ?[/quote]
Might be easier to ask Trace Elliot themselves, there was a dude who used to know the TE serial number system but he's disappeared off the forum a long time ago.

Sorry I can't be more use!

[quote name='sixshooter' post='259876' date='Aug 11 2008, 12:42 PM']For info on V8, you cannot get better than this link...

[url="http://bassamps.blogspot.com/2006/06/trace-elliot-v8.html"]undefined[/url][/quote]
You know what? I had an identical set up with the Acme cabs for a short time and had no end of problems trying to get a loud, clean sound out of it.

[quote name='sixshooter' post='259884' date='Aug 11 2008, 12:50 PM']On my V8 the serial number is TO136/88/301[/quote]
Heheh, mine's TO136/86/301 :)

[quote name='Merton' post='254911' date='Aug 4 2008, 10:50 PM']Might be easier to ask Trace Elliot themselves, there was a dude who used to know the TE serial number system but he's disappeared off the forum a long time ago.

Sorry I can't be more use![/quote]

Your gas will be pleased to hear that peds V4 now resides with me :)

[quote name='Catalin' post='254478' date='Aug 4 2008, 03:01 PM']Guys can you tell me in what year was made this amp ?
Here is the serial number: T0105.0144 Model: VTYPE-H0
Can you tell me how the EQ works? What are the bass mid and treble freq. ?[/quote]

The original V-Type preamp has a passive EQ. With the tone knobs set to 12 o'clock and deep, bright and mid shift all off, the EQ curve has a slight mid cut. Boosting or cutting the different bands affects the others.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='259947' date='Aug 11 2008, 01:37 PM']You know what? I had an identical set up with the Acme cabs for a short time and had no end of problems trying to get a loud, clean sound out of it.

I use mine with the trace 4 x 12, nice full sound and makes my jeans flap at the bottom :)

Heheh, mine's TO136/86/301 :huh:[/quote]

Guess that blows the theory out of the water that there was only 70 something built twice over :huh:

[quote name='sixshooter' post='280466' date='Sep 9 2008, 04:23 PM']Guess that blows the theory out of the water that there was only 70 something built twice over :huh:[/quote]
heheh :) Yeah, I get the feeling there might be a hundred or so around.

• 1 year later...

Hi there, I've just picked up one of the original V-Type 220 Watt valve heads. I've opened up the amp and its all totally original, its never had new valves and it was made in June 1995! I was wondering if anyone has any idea on biasing this amp? I've had a good look around inside and I can't find a variable resistor for adjusting the bias with (I haven't removed any pcb's yet.) My only guess is it could be on the top of a PCB or that it could be a fixed bias design. If anyone has any ideas on this it would be appreciated.
Also I've heard it mentioned on forums that these amps could have been built by Matamp. Does anyone have any info on this? I'd be interested to know if it was true.
Any information will be greatly appreciated!

[quote name='Catalin' post='249435' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:48 AM']Hello guys !
I have a Trace Elliot V-Type all tube head. The head have 4 preamp tubes: 2 are closer to the power tubes and the other 2 are lower situated and closer to the input - i think these are preamp tubes and the others are drive tubes, i'm right ?
The preamp tubes are Tronal, what do you know about these tubes?
Tnks ![/quote]
my gut instinct is there gonna be similar to JJ's and made at the same factory. Your right in saying that the two valves near the input will be the input valves and the other two with be the driver and splitter.

[quote name='roddimus' post='685996' date='Dec 16 2009, 03:46 AM']Hi there, I've just picked up one of the original V-Type 220 Watt valve heads. I've opened up the amp and its all totally original, its never had new valves and it was made in June 1995! I was wondering if anyone has any idea on biasing this amp? I've had a good look around inside and I can't find a variable resistor for adjusting the bias with (I haven't removed any pcb's yet.) My only guess is it could be on the top of a PCB or that it could be a fixed bias design. If anyone has any ideas on this it would be appreciated.
Also I've heard it mentioned on forums that these amps could have been built by Matamp. Does anyone have any info on this? I'd be interested to know if it was true.
Any information will be greatly appreciated![/quote]
fixed bias is still adjustable cathode bias isn't. Your looking for a trim pot, i'd recomend taking it to a tech or getting a bias helper if you want to do it yourself.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there, just wanted to post in this thread since I've referenced back to it every time I do some searching for my V-Type! Still a bit of an enigma, but I do know that the sound is wonderful. I've had it for about 6 months now and still discover new tones. Of course, that seems to be the usual when it comes to "simple" controls (passive jazz basses, Fuzz Face pedals, etc.).

So, thanks for all the information, and I'll keep checking in from time to time for any updates. Oh yes, photographic evidence:

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...