Why become a member? ×

New guy is confused

Leslie77s

Hi all I'm a newbie and have basically joined here to seek your collective knowledge.
I've been playing for years and just do hobby stuff now weddings/pubs and home jamming. I've got 2 old Fender Jazz basses and a Jack Cassidy Epiphone(which has been surprisingly good)
Anyway, I have an Ashdown ABM 500 410 Combo, two old 60's/70's Fender Bassman 135 heads, an Ampeg SVT Classic 15" cab and my original, ancient Fender Showman cabinet.
My problem is I'm sick of shifting the bulk and weight around and can't decide which modern small rig to buy? Been thinking of selling some of my gear and replacing with a Tecamp Puma Combo or Tonehammer with 1-2 Aguilar cabs but can't decide because I can't seem to try them out anywhere!
I'm based in the Glasgow area and prefer just a good old warm tone.
Any thoughts Bass Brothers?

At first I was gonna say, sell your amps and go for something like ; Mesa boogie walkabout scout/mark bass/phil jones combo /gallien Krueger etc.
All small , compact good reviews etc. However, when you mentioned the sound you are seeking, Aguilar do excellent heads and cabs.
Not too big either. Over to other bass chatters ..,

Aguilar is great gear for a warm tone but their cabs aren`t actually that light. Markbass is a clean but warm-in-the-mix sound and I`d happily recommend them based on my own use. The other option is get an amp head and cabs from a different make - such as Barefaced. Plenty light, good performance. An Aggie TH with a BF cab would be a nice sound I reckon.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, yeah the Fender heads and Showman look and sound great. Basically I need to get with the times and modernise a bit. Will definitely sell the Ashdown and one Bassman, possibly a Jazz and make up any difference for the new stuff. The problem in my area is that no retailers stock the equipment to try out!
Has anyone even heard a Tecamp Puma 212??

With the gear you have to sell, you will have a great budget and believe me, with most of the equipment mentioned your back will thank you :lol: .

Just a thought, you may like to consider used equipment from folk off here with good feedback.
Reason is, I always find gear in a shop or at home sounds COMPLETELY different to how it sounds live in anger :D .
If you buy good used gear second hand and it doesn't work out for you, you will lose a lot less money selling it on!!!
Good luck whatever you decided to get and enjoy the journey!

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to have all my stuff serviced and decide what to keep. Probably keep the black face Bassman head and Ampeg cab, shift on the full silver grill Fender head/cab, Ashdown and possibly my 1998(roughly) USA Fender Jazz 70's reissue (Blonde/black scratch and black block inlays) no point being sentimental I remember being a young pup aching to acquire them so it's a shame to have them just lying around when they could be gigging and used. Plenty to think about but I'm impressed by the Barefaced cabs and company in general. Thanks again!!!

• 1 month later...

Im gigging with a 12" ebs cab, extremely light, and reasonably priced. as for the head im using a TC electronic BH250, which is only 250 watts but I take a line out to the PA anyway, so its plenty loud enough for me to hear on stage. beauty is that it slips right into the front pocket of my gig bag. Aguilar, markbass, GK all do similar sized heads, you just need to find a tone you like. But my back has thanked me for the change, cab in one had, guitar on my back, amp in pocket and im good to go!!

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1412185347' post='2566607']
Streamliner 900. One for sale on here at the moment.
[/quote]

The Streamliner is very good indeed, but... but... a Fender Bassman..! Dammit, I just know I'd get sick of carrying it about. :(
Roadies and crew, that's what we need... roadies and crew.

[quote name='Leslie77s' timestamp='1409569306' post='2540888']
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to have all my stuff serviced and decide what to keep. Probably keep the black face Bassman head and Ampeg cab, shift on the full silver grill Fender head/cab, Ashdown and possibly my 1998(roughly) USA Fender Jazz 70's reissue (Blonde/black scratch and black block inlays) no point being sentimental I remember being a young pup aching to acquire them so it's a shame to have them just lying around when they could be gigging and used. Plenty to think about but I'm impressed by the Barefaced cabs and company in general. Thanks again!!!
[/quote]
If you do go with a barefaced cab make sure you have plenty of Watts, I was sold one but it was only loud enough for 70% of my gigs even though we had foh and a 1x12 guitar on the other side of a drummer that was not bashing the skins.

Just my experience !

I've been going round and round in circles with this, was TH500, then Tecamp Puma 500 Combo, then RH750 with 2x212 vertical. Now Orange Terror 500 but what cabs? it's driving me nuts! Bassman,Showman and Ashdown ABM 500 410 all going for service then sale in coming weeks then I'll take the leap! All opinions very much appreciated guys

[quote name='Leslie77s' timestamp='1412328102' post='2567822']
I've been going round and round in circles with this, was TH500, then Tecamp Puma 500 Combo, then RH750 with 2x212 vertical. Now Orange Terror 500 but what cabs? it's driving me nuts! Bassman,Showman and Ashdown ABM 500 410 all going for service then sale in coming weeks then I'll take the leap! All opinions very much appreciated guys
[/quote]

And it still will be in 5 years time :lol:

Pay scant regard to my comments in the other thread regarding the Tone Hammer. The more I think about it, the more I liked the sound.
The perceived volume issue on my part could have been any number of things really. Too many owners tell me they are very powerful.
I will very probably get one when my Carvin goes.
So, watch out for an as new Tone Hammer for sale in 2 months :lol: :lol:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1412337617' post='2567945']
Take your bass to a shop that has the Terror 500 & any of the other amps that you fancy & try them out.
Try different cabs out whilst you're there.
[/quote]

Oh that it was that easy now :(

I will keep one Bassman and the Ampeg cabs because when high volume isn't needed the old fender and an SVT 410 cab just sounds great. It's my ideal sound. I like the look of the TKS cabs too, Tommy seems a helpful, clued up fella so it's definately an option! Keep me posted on your TH500 situation please Karl, as for retailers Reddog Music in Edinburgh have had good reports so I'll start my trek there and see how far I have to travel to try rigs.

Keep the Bassman rig...
There is a reason people still gig them...and I am pretty sure a lot more
would use their ilk if only the weight wasn't an issue.
The TH is a nice amp... and I aim to couple that with TKS cabs
and that will be my weight saver.
I'll still get the big ( heavy full beans ) rig out every now and again... as there is no way
of getting that sound on the cheap, IMO.

[quote name='Leslie77s' timestamp='1412417699' post='2568722']
Yeah I'm getting decisive here. TH500 and the TKS S2126 with that nice grill cloth finish. Should be plenty power and I can lug the Bassman about when I want. Want to but a Bassman ;-)
[/quote]

If it helps, I've just ordered and paid for a couple of TKS cabs and the process couldn't have been easier. The owner was a true gent and very helpful too - as were the known TKS users of BC.