Why become a member? ×

gone

ash

I think the flying V is one of the most iconic, beautiful guitars ever, but on a bass? I'm sorry, I guess I'm just missing something. I don't wish to rain on your parade, it's just not for me. Good luck with it right enough, you've certainly made a good job

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1409646391' post='2541741']
I think the flying V is one of the most iconic, beautiful guitars ever, but on a bass? I'm sorry, I guess I'm just missing something. I don't wish to rain on your parade, it's just not for me. Good luck with it right enough, you've certainly made a good job
[/quote]

I've no problem with your comments :) I wouldn't have thought to actually buy a V bass - it's not a bass design to everyone's taste and certainly not practical......try playing one sitting down ;)

[quote name='antnee' timestamp='1409651450' post='2541792']
I hope there was some Status Quo esque swaying with your guitarist with the matching V.

Awesome build. Any temptations to paint it?
[/quote]

The stage we were on was so small any swaying would've compromised the singer's health!
I was thinking of getting it finished in either black (to match the guitar version) or white (to create a reverse/ negative of the guitar) but I think the natural look is in keeping with its Grabber lineage. Most importantly I had a budget to work to and getting it professionally finished would be expensive (I don't have the equipment or space to do a paint job myself, the True Oil can be applied very easily all you need is a lint free cloth and lots of patience!).

[quote name='antnee' timestamp='1409651450' post='2541792']
I hope there was some Status Quo esque swaying with your guitarist with the matching V.

Awesome build. Any temptations to paint it?
[/quote]Brought to mind some UFO-esque chugging there. Very nice job on that sir!

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1409650683' post='2541783']

I've no problem with your comments :) I wouldn't have thought to actually buy a V bass - it's not a bass design to everyone's taste and certainly not practical......try playing one sitting down ;)
[/quote]

For sure your project bass screams "play me loud on stage!"
Best

That is awesome! Love it. Why paint it? I think the wood looks great. Just put a matte clear coat on it to protect the wood..

My first bass was an old blue Vantage Flying V bass. Needed to work with a little neck dive and if sitting down to practice, you need to wedge the bottom V-wing between your legs.

Yes I've tried that resting my right thigh in the V (ooer) a bit uncomfy but it works! Thanks for the tip! The wood is protected by the Tru-oil it effectively seals and protects the wood and gives a glossy smooth finish. I applied it using coffee filters as they are lint free, it's great stuff around £7 for a 90ml bottle and so far I've finished two necks and the V body with it!