Why become a member? ×

P or J?

lowdowner

This is a general outline of my relationship with the Precision and Jazz bass-

January - Yep, I am a definitely a P bass man.

February - this Jazz is awesome, it's definitely my go to bass now.

March - Aw man this P is amazing, flats and foam!

April - Heavy Weather! What an album! Where's my Jazz bass?....

May - Sugar Copper Blue, wow! Now that is why the P bass is my favourite bass of all.

June - I hear Evil by Interpol, that Jazz rocks!

July - 'Whats Goin On' playing on Radio 2....

August - I just found some Smashing Pumpkins bass tracks on YouTube...

September - Bobby Vega...

October - Wow look! Bob Dylan with a Jazz bass! They really are aesthetically pleasing.

November - I just rehearsed with the P bass and I heard every note of every song coming through the mix - P bass forever.

December - Ooh look! That Jazz on basschat for sale is cool, I am having it... (Divorce lawyer on the horizon)

Repeat year upon year upon year!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1409513005' post='2540406']
People often say the P does one thing well.

But the P does a lot more than one thing, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to sound like both James Jamerson and JJ Burnell on the same bass.
[/quote]

We have similar views, I used that anology in my spiel at the Herts Bass Bash Precision Test. Two JJs that couldn`t sound much different, both using the same type of bass.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1409511844' post='2540380']

Ah, no, I didn't know what one was, but I do now. I shall take more care to choose my self-derisive words more carefully in future. I am certainly *not* one of those!

Ewwwww :(
[/quote]

Gave me a chuckle anyway ;)

My answer is, you can't go wrong with either a j or a p, but I myself prefer the j (at the moment) mainly because it seems a bit more aggressive. If that makes sense.

Interpol52 pretty much has it spot on though.

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1409527460' post='2540644']
does anyone find that a P bass can lack definition. i guess it depends on your amplification. i find a jazz can do it a little better. also i reckon the jazz tone has more character. only mine.
[/quote]

I know what you are getting at but that is their prime function... to sit below and support the music.
They have character but you aren't playing the bass to be stand-out, you are playing to sit.
If you wanted more of a voice, you'd use a jazz but P basses do the foundations so well, that is
why backup/sidemen have one in the bag. I know other people use them out front more in the band
sound but that is not where they excel, IMO. Plenty of other basses can do that...but none of them
do the foundation thing as well. None, IMO. BIG, FAT, PASSIVE. done..!!!

I've always been a Jazz fan, and I've replaced the neck pickup volume control with a pull switch pot in the electronics on the so that when you pull it out it puts the two pickups on together in series giving you a big P bass sound.

Two in one, as it were - excellent.

http://www.guitar-mod.com/wiring/j_series.gif

:)

Although I'm mainly a six string player and all my current basses are filling the void until my Wal arrives next year, I'm a recent convert to P basses and Fender styles in general, having avoided them for many years seeing them as a bit 'old hat'.

I have been playing a jazz on and off this last year and I've recently acquired a P and I have to say that I have found the P very useful. I've got flats on it and rolled the tone right back for use with some of the acoustic bands I work with, it really does have a unique sound and I think it works very well in the acoustic environment... I am however moving the jazz on... not because it's a poor instrument, far from it but I can't find a time I would be using it over my sixers.

I have a Squier P bass, with 2 pickups
One split pickup in the usual neck position,
and one striaght pickup in the bridge position (like a Jazz)

And I must say, this bass has a great sound
Possibly the best passive sounding bass I've owned
It can sound just like a P bass, or it can sound a lot like a J bass
But it has a nice tone of its' own too

I also have a couple of Jazzes, and I really do like the sound of both of them
They do sound very Fender-like, and I find I can vary the sound and tone quite a lot
However, I'd like to experiment with some pickups, and get a more "beefy" sound
so if anyone here has some suggestions for some pickups which are easy / straight swaps - please let me know

Cheers

Marc

It says a lot for Leo Fender that these are still go to basses. Personally I love the tone of my Fender Jazz at home but so often the P bass just sits so well in the mix when with the band that it is always what I turn to if there is anything rocky going on, they really do just work. The jazz works well with softer semi acoustic stuff though.

Pickups pick up more of the fundamental relative to the harmonics the further away from the bridge they are. This means there is a sweet spot where the balance between fundamental (the deep bass) and harmonics gives a nice balanced sound, with a twin pup design you can't have both on the sweet spot and usually the neck pup is too heavy and the bridge pup too light. Blending them restores harmony grasshopper, but because the pups are separate there will be cancellations of some frequencies so you get a new sound often described as a mid scoop. Personally I love the sound of my Jazz with the neck pup on full and the bridge pup just about 2/3. It is smooth when I'm gentle and snarls as I dig in, but it doesn't sound like a P bass.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the neck, traditionally the P neck is much more solid and chunky, the J bass really quite elegant and slim. With small fingers I much prefer the J-bass neck, though lots of P-basses are now fitted with a J style neck. The experience of playing them is very different IMO.

I'd absolutely agree with the guy who said the one he prefers depends upon which month you are talking about. Most gigs I use my American Deluxe P-bass which has a neck halfway between J and P with a P pup and what looks like two J pups fixed together as a humbucker. No two fenders are alike anyway.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1409519521' post='2540513']

May - Sugar Copper Blue, wow! Now that is why the P bass is my favourite bass of all.

October - Wow look! Bob Dylan with a Jazz bass! They really are aesthetically pleasing.

November - I just rehearsed with the P bass and I heard every note of every song coming through the mix - P bass forever.

December - Ooh look! That Jazz on basschat for sale is cool, I am having it... (Divorce lawyer on the horizon)

[/quote]

This is why I have both. There is no real winner in the P or J competition. They both do nice things and do simple things really, really well

[quote name='Stompbox' timestamp='1409562996' post='2540803']
I've always been a Jazz fan, and I've replaced the neck pickup volume control with a pull switch pot in the electronics on the so that when you pull it out it puts the two pickups on together in series giving you a big P bass sound.

[url="http://www.guitar-mod.com/wiring/j_series.gif"]http://www.guitar-mo...ng/j_series.gif[/url]

[/quote]

I have an S1 jazz, does the same thing. Neat little spring loaded button in the middle of the neck PU vol pot.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409512775' post='2540401']
I think this is it,if we try and venture too far from home. I look for mm tones in a jazz, a J guy cant get the mm smooth enough, the p guy misses the growl if he trys a J and the ricky fans miss the neck dive in anything else other than maybe a Gibson :D
[/quote]

Some of you just can't resist a sly dig in the ribs, eh?

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1409583203' post='2541141']
^ oh come on!
[/quote]

Oh come on, [i]what[/i]? I've read it scores of times and I'm getting pretty fed up of it. Gibson neck dive this, spontaneous headstock ejection that, all Gibson basses are crap etc, ad nauseum. Har-de-har-har - I'm paraphrasing while splitting my sides here.

I can't really see a problem with neck dive as, when I'm standing with a strap on the guitar and I'm playing the neck, it's never been an issue. It's not as if you are having to struggle to hold the thing is it ? Maybe I haven't experienced enough Gibsons to qualify an opinion but I did used to have a thunderbird copy and never had an issue with it

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1409584419' post='2541171']

Oh come on, [i]what[/i]? I've read it scores of times and I'm getting pretty fed up of it. Gibson neck dive this, spontaneous headstock ejection that, all Gibson basses are crap etc, ad nauseum. Har-de-har-har - I'm paraphrasing while splitting my sides here.
[/quote]

What I mean is that it was hardly a sly dig. The guy was expressing an opinion, whilst making a joke. Folks get way too precious about stuff these days.

If Gibson basses were crap the company wouldn't have made so much money, besides that not even being what he said.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1409519521' post='2540513']

[/quote]

Of course to get the real Darcy tone you need either Billy Corgan to play the parts on who knows what type of bass? Or her other lesser known P or J option ;)
[url="http://youtu.be/lN7I3qF1Ywk"]http://youtu.be/lN7I3qF1Ywk[/url]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Stompbox' timestamp='1409562996' post='2540803']

http://www.guitar-mod.com/wiring/j_series.gif

[/quote]

Fire up the soldering iron, Bolly Knickers!