Why become a member? ×

P or J?

lowdowner

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1409514032' post='2540420']
Get a P/J bass set up and you have the best of both worlds. That P bass sound that sits so well in a band mix and a J pickup at the bridge for that....J bass at the bridge sound :D[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]I always think that on it`s own, a P bass doesn`t sound very inspiring but when you hear it in a band situation, it really comes into it own.[/size]
[/quote]

PJ all the way. Even in the fully off position that bridge pickup makes for a nice thumb rest !!

I used to play jazz basses a few years ago, always found myself fiddling with the knobs :lol: all night to get a tone I liked.
The precision just does it, cuts through, nice and fat, second only to the rick to me in getting that tone out front.
jazz are versatile but always sound a bit short.
A precision with basslines in just sounds sweeter in the mix to me for live work.
Recently picked up a 78 Precision maple neck as I had one years ago, sounds wonderful, but forgot just how damned heavy they are.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1409527460' post='2540644']
does anyone find that a P bass can lack definition. i guess it depends on your amplification. i find a jazz can do it a little better. also i reckon the jazz tone has more character. only mine.
[/quote]

I'm the opposite. Sometimes my jazz has too much definition. Being responsible for filling out quite a lot of space (playing in a blues trio of drums, bass and guitar with lots of guitar soloing!) I find that the wooly, fatter precision bass tone fills out the space better than a jazz. The jazz offers definition but doesn't give enough weight or impose itself enough in a small (harmonically light) ensemble for me. I use my jazz for my wedding/function bands though as the definition is more appropriate and less imposing on the other musicians (6 of us in total) and seems to be a better fit in a more complex mix. That's why I have both!

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1409600294' post='2541430']
Recently picked up a 78 Precision maple neck as I had one years ago, sounds wonderful, but forgot just how damned heavy they are.
[/quote]

The sound makes it all worthwhile, I love my black/black/maple 78 Precision.

This is my Jazz doing the sound Jazz basses do best

http://soundcloud.com/belowtheghost/rebel-bass-drums/s-oaRVd

This my P doing something that only a P can do (Valenti with J rolled off completely)

http://soundcloud.com/belowtheghost/kenneth/s-LPvG5

A PJ combination is a different animal altogether rather than a hybrid or best of both worlds as is evident here (BB2024x)

http://soundcloud.com/belowtheghost/harder-we-try-110814-novox/s-fsk68

Edited by Sean

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1409578692' post='2541063']

Some of you just can't resist a sly dig in the ribs, eh?
[/quote]
Sorry I missed this yesterday, every Rick I have played was terrible, every Gibson I have tried had neck dive so these are my findings, if that upsets people that's just how it is, do I cry in my corn flakes at the mention of weak G strings, active basses sucking, over priced mass produced ebmm basses? Nope.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409639448' post='2541668']
Sorry I missed this yesterday, every Rick I have played was terrible, every Gibson I have tried had neck dive so these are my findings, if that upsets people that's just how it is, do I cry in my corn flakes at the mention of weak G strings, active basses sucking, over priced mass produced ebmm basses? Nope.
[/quote]

Well, you've qualified it now to your own personal experience and the generalisation was all I really took exception to. Sorry for being short yesterday - I wasn't having the best of days.

FWIW, EBMM products seem fine to me, I keep having little wiffs of GAS when I see a Big Al... I really don't think EBMM get much of a rough ride around here though - there's this muttering about weak G strings (which I'm pretty sure if it does exist happens in a tiny number of cases and most of the time could be chased out through setup or choice of strings). If anything, the worst negative thing that sticks out in my mind mentioned here about EBMM is their rabid official forum (which I've never visited, admittedly) where apparently you'll get shot down in flames by a horde of fanbois if you dare to say anything negative about the company's products?

I can't really answer the OP's questions - I lack the experience of P and J basses to give any solid guidance and after getting in a spat about generalisations it would be rather hypocritical of me to wheel some out right now ;) What I will say is try both, play whatever you play and see which you prefer the sound and feel of, after all you're the one that's going to be playing the bass. Or just buy one of each ;)

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1409511844' post='2540380']

Ah, no, I didn't know what one was, but I do now. I shall take more care to choose my self-derisive words more carefully in future. I am certainly *not* one of those!

Ewwwww :(
[/quote]

I think you'll find it is acceptable on BC to be a pedalophile though.

For standard P & J basses:
My take is that it's all in the frequencies. Js have a fairly full range sound, Ps much less so with a big peak in the lower mids. This peak is in a very audible range and is the 'standard' bass sound which is so familiar and comfortable and safe to most people.
Listening to older records the bass often sits nicely below the guitars (before they intruded in our frequency range) and above the kick drum, this is not always the case in modern music though.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1409654801' post='2541850']
has there been a thread before discussing how comes there is such a fundamental and distinct difference in tone between the two when they are so similar in shape? :huh:
[/quote]

I'm sure there has been - and fairly sure I've read on previously
It seems an eternal point of discussion, which as someone already mentioned here
is testimony to Leo Fender, and his designs....

A big part of the tonal difference must also come from the pickups, and electrics anyway
also, the neck will play a part too.....

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1409649580' post='2541771']

Well, you've qualified it now to your own personal experience and the generalisation was all I really took exception to. Sorry for being short yesterday - I wasn't having the best of days.

FWIW, EBMM products seem fine to me, I keep having little wiffs of GAS when I see a Big Al... I really don't think EBMM get much of a rough ride around here though - there's this muttering about weak G strings (which I'm pretty sure if it does exist happens in a tiny number of cases and most of the time could be chased out through setup or choice of strings). If anything, the worst negative thing that sticks out in my mind mentioned here about EBMM is their rabid official forum (which I've never visited, admittedly) where apparently you'll get shot down in flames by a horde of fanbois if you dare to say anything negative about the company's products?

I can't really answer the OP's questions - I lack the experience of P and J basses to give any solid guidance and after getting in a spat about generalisations it would be rather hypocritical of me to wheel some out right now ;) What I will say is try both, play whatever you play and see which you prefer the sound and feel of, after all you're the one that's going to be playing the bass. Or just buy one of each ;)
[/quote]
No worries and I agree on the big Al gas :)

On the series-wired Jazz suggestion, I've never found it to sound much like a Precision. It's louder and thicker than two Jazz pickups in parallel, but it still has that characteristic thing going on in the treble that you get from two widely spaced pickups. It can be worth trying though, as it can still be a good sound in it's own right.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409592159' post='2541276']
Of course to get the real Darcy tone you need either Billy Corgan to play the parts on who knows what type of bass? Or her other lesser known P or J option ;)

[/quote]

Haha! Good point!

There is some footage on youtube of them doing Ava Adore on Jools Holland, the bass sound on that during the first verse is amazing! I liked Darcy, they never were the same without her, she looks a bit funny now mind...

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1409670003' post='2542042']

Haha! Good point!

There is some footage on youtube of them doing Ava Adore on Jools Holland, the bass sound on that during the first verse is amazing! I liked Darcy, they never were the same without her, she looks a bit funny now mind...
[/quote]
Darcy with her stingray in 1992 was basically my idea of heaven, these days I think I'd rather have a go on her stingray though, lol. Anyone know what type of bass Billy used in the studio? I guess must good studios in the 90s had a P, J and MM knocking around, or something totally different.