Why become a member? ×

P or J?

lowdowner

Apologies if this has been asked before (I'd be surprised if it hasn't) but I'm really interested to know what the difference is between Fender P or J? Not in terms of the mechanics and pickups but about the sound, and the way they play, and what kinds of music or player they most suit etc.

Is there a generally accepted difference that sums them up?

I feel like such a nonce for even asking :(

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1409509917' post='2540343']
I feel like such a nonce for even asking :(
[/quote]

Ermmm... you know what one of those is, right? Pretty sure not knowing the difference between a P and a J bass doesn't make you one!

EDIT: stupid autocorrect

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1409511080' post='2540360']
Ermmm... you know what one of those is, right? Pretty sure not knowing the difference between a P and a J bass doesn't make you one!

EDIT: stupid autocorrect
[/quote]

Ah, no, I didn't know what one was, but I do now. I shall take more care to choose my self-derisive words more carefully in future. I am certainly *not* one of those!

Ewwwww :(

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409511613' post='2540375']
When I play a P it always sounds too thin, my favourite sound when everyone else uses them which I know is the reverse of many people with an MM, I like a J but I find them a bit dull sounding really, big smooth bass sound but boring and ive tried all sorts inc Sadawsky and Alleva versions always just a bit meh.
[/quote]

Try taking a normal, passive J and wiring the pickup in series. Big, round fingerstyle sound.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1409510935' post='2540359']
It underpins and supports the band sound so well with a big fat passive sound.
That is why it is the workhorse it is.
[/quote]

Spot-on. I find it easier to get a workable sound with a Precision, whereas a Jazz I find I have to do a lot of eq-ing to get it where I want it. But then, that`s probably because I`m sure I just try to make it sound like a Precision, doh!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1409512093' post='2540385']

Spot-on. I find it easier to get a workable sound with a Precision, whereas a Jazz I find I have to do a lot of eq-ing to get it where I want it. But then, that`s probably because I`m sure I just try to make it sound like a Precision, doh!
[/quote]
I think this is it,if we try and venture too far from home. I look for mm tones in a jazz, a J guy cant get the mm smooth enough, the p guy misses the growl if he trys a J and the ricky fans miss the neck dive in anything else other than maybe a Gibson :D

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1409513005' post='2540406']
People often say the P does one thing well.

But the P does a lot more than one thing, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to sound like both James Jamerson and JJ Burnell on the same bass.
[/quote]
I think thats true of all basses, I bet we could find a genre of most types of music played on most types of bass :)

Get a P/J bass set up and you have the best of both worlds. That P bass sound that sits so well in a band mix and a J pickup at the bridge for that....J bass at the bridge sound :D[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]I always think that on it`s own, a P bass doesn`t sound very inspiring but when you hear it in a band situation, it really comes into it own.[/size]

When I first started playing bass I thought that the two pickup Jazz would be somehow better than the single pickup Precision so my first bass was a J copy... but I then ended up with an active PJ (my Westone) so was getting closer to the traditional passive split coil P bass sound... but I really didn't know how good the old Fender design is until I got my Squier VM P bass - I've probably developed my appreciation for the different tonalities of single coil and humbucker pickups and the differing positions within the body. Now I've played a few different instruments I've a better idea of what I'm hearing on a record. I've still to satisfy my desire for a Stingray though...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409513949' post='2540418']
I think thats true of all basses, I bet we could find a genre of most types of music played on most types of bass :)
[/quote]
Yes. It's a very strange thing, It's often said about Rickenbackers too, one sound only, they always sound like Chris Squire, but actually they also sound like McCartney.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1409514320' post='2540431']

Yes. It's a very strange thing, It's often said about Rickenbackers too, one sound only, they always sound like Chris Squire, but actually they also sound like McCartney.
[/quote]
John Deacon playing Queens Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy on his Stingray sounded just like most of Tim Commerfords output with Rage Against The Machine really didnt it? Lol

And another funny thing is too get that exact sound macca got you need a fiddle bass or a Rick, or maybe you need his fingers!

Jazz does a pretty good Precision sound with neck pickup solo'd but the Precision can't do a Jazz sound. That said both are industry standards for a good reason as they both can sound incredible in the right hands. I love my Jazzes but have a hankering for a precision too cos they look and sound cool.

Isn't this question a bit like when someone asks "what are the best pickups to get?"
The answer in that situation is the same as in this one; "best for what?"

Nobody here knows what a P or a J sounds like in the hands of Lowdowner. Yes, we can give a vague idea, but there's no substitute for going down to a music store and trying them out.

Sorry bud but the sound is in the fingers (and the amp, and how you feel on the day)

PS: I'm a PJ fan myself.

Edited by Grangur